DVDVR Message Board

DC TV (2022)

RIPPA

DC shows don't get as much discussion as the Marvel D+ ones, so I'd imagine so.

I'm going to assume they aren't dropping the entire season at once since it's a HBO Max exclusive, but they did exactly that for Search Party last week, so who knows.

Edited by Casey

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

DC shows don't get as much discussion as the Marvel D+ ones, so I'd imagine so.

I'm going to assume they aren't dropping the entire season at once since it's a HBO Max exclusive, but they did exactly that for Search Party last week, so who knows.

They are dropping the first three episodes on the release day (Thursday) and then the other 5 will be weekly.

At least that is the plan for now

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Armageddon, was their any storyline reason Despero mostly appeared as a bearded human and only in his alien form occasionally.  I assume the answer was "budget" but I wish they had tried to explain it in the episodes.

Honestly, Despero's sleeveless robe reminded of the costumes from the live-action Flintstones movies, so it was hard to take him seriously.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Superman & Lois is still really good. Really surprised that they are already setting up Doomsday this soon.

To be fair is it really soon? Might be the second season, but we are dealing with Superman who has been around for probably close to two decades. I'm curious how they handle it with the family element and no fortress to revive him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

To paraphrase a certain manager, “I guess this is good for people that like that sort of thing.” 

watched ep 1. Dont know if I even want to watch the rest yet. 

If you're talking about Peacemaker than I like that sort of thing. I thought the first ep was hilarious. And Cena is just great.

• Like 2

I didnt specify in my first post because I didn't know the regular DC shows were on now. 

Like Suicide Squad, this isn't for me, other than to see the Easter eggs of DC D- list characters and such. 

It also makes me appreciate the relatively mainstreamness of the MCU in terms of hyper violence and other "adult" content. 

Through two episodes. Gunn's the perfect match for Cena's ideal "2003 DVD where a third of the cover is a giant all-caps UNRATED stamp" brand of goofy humour undercut with some pathos. Seeing how well Gunn's material and direction have meshed with John and Dave makes me really want to see him get his hands on Dwayne.

And considering how fatigued I am by standard superhero fare, a bunch of actors doing to silly dance on a soundstage is really the cure for what ails me. Unskippable opening. This show's the most enjoyable superhero TV stuff I've seen in a while outside of The Boys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Watched TV e first 3 episodes of Peacemaker last night, this show is fucking bananas and I love it, best title sequence in ages, and Eagly is the shit. 

Second all of that. This show is just that perfect James Gunn mix of stupid, funny, violent, shocking, ridiculous, but also sweet and caring that he does so well. 

• Like 2

HBO had a sneak peak of Peacemaker E1 after the debut of The Suicide Squad last night.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.  I am guessing they put his douchebag racist father (played uncomfortably convincingly by Robert Patrick) in there to make Peacemaker a more sympathetic character by comparison and it doesn't hurt that he is the cross between Archie Bunker and Peter Gambi from Black Lightning.

Spoiler

It figures that Amanda Waller would have the task force on a short leash with her daughter in there as an informant.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

HBO had a sneak peak of Peacemaker E1 after the debut of The Suicide Squad last night.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.  I am guessing they put his father in there to make Peacemaker a more sympathetic character by comparison and it doesn't hurt that he is the cross between Archie Bunker and Peter Gambi from Black Lightning.

Hide contents

It figures that Amanda Waller would have the task force on a short leash with her daughter in there as an informant.

Spoiler

I suspect Waller would rather her daughter not being anywhere near that clusterfuck. The situation is just that bad her kids are among the few people she can probably trust.

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think I love everything about Peacemaker, although it probably helps I don't have any attachments to the characters from the comics, otherwise I can tell Vigilante’s portrayal would annoy me.

Stern judge becomes comedy sidekick is prob not what 1980s Titans fans would have expected. I'm just happy it's not Greg Saunders.

The twist at the end was anything but, for me at least.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I didn't intend on watching Peacemaker, but I needed a distraction and watched the first episode and wound up liking it a lot. I was pleasantly surprised.

I was in the same boat. I really didn't think I was going to give this a look, until I saw the opening credits. The show has zero business being this good.

• Like 2