DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Wrestling WrestleWar 91, not sure if I'd be able to figure out how either team in the Six-Man Tag Team title match came together (Rich/Morton/JYD or The State Patrol and Big Cat [Curtis Hughes]). What a title.

Match 2: Brad Armstrong has a US flag on his trunks because this is during Desert Storm and he's taking on an opponent not from the USA, Bobby Eaton from the Dark Side

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 4

the front row fans in the left ring (which hosted Armstrong/Eaton) were way into the match too and it was pretty obvious that Eaton was gonna be a face soon enough

then the fans closer to the right ring were way into the Japanese women's match. Phoenix is starting off pretty hot for this card.

fans pop after Kansai (Miss A) starts kicking the shit out of her opponent in the corner

The Tokyo to Phoenix partyjet must have been a lot of fun with Muta, Hansen, Vader, the 4 wrestlers in the tag match, and Hiro Matsuda around

Vader/Hansen in a bullrope or strap match wasn't ever gonna happen in this country partially thanks to Japanese promotion politics but that would have probably been completely bonkers violence-wise even if strap matches seemingly have a small set of finishes that are used every time

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Have you not heard of Donnie Janela?

(GCW ran a show in Tullahoma TN, booked a bunch of local Tennessee wrestlers to fill out the card, and they noticed that one of them looked just like Joey Janela. So Joey "researched his family tree" and found out they were actually cousins! So Donnie took the Janela name because of course he did. He also goes by Kung Fu Janela, or Donnie Primetime in his AEW Dark bookings)

I remembered this, because when the match on Dark was originally announced the graphic said Donnie Janela, the the day of the episode it was changed to Donnie Primetime.

wondering if the Wrestlewar 91 Wargames would be rated higher or lower if the cage wasn't ridiculously low (possibly leading to, or inspiring the finish thanks to Sid).. like it might be obvious if you don't know the finish that the roof is too low

I haven't watched Wrestlewar 92's Wargames so I don't know if 91 had any chance to be better than 92 with a different finish or higher roof

Also Windham just taps into one quick. Love it.

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the front row fans in the left ring (which hosted Armstrong/Eaton) were way into the match too and it was pretty obvious that Eaton was gonna be a face soon enough

then the fans closer to the right ring were way into the Japanese women's match. Phoenix is starting off pretty hot for this card.

This was my favorite time period. I'd just gotten into wrestling in 1990 and the Sting-Pillman-Steiners VS the Horsemen fued was on fire.  Shame that we had Larry in the wargames match (made 0 sense)  but damn it was still my favorite war games match of all time.  92 had the blood but 91 had the better story.  Makes me even more pissed that Herd dropped the ball and Flair walked.  Oh what could have been

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Makes me even more pissed that Herd dropped the ball and Flair walked.  Oh what could have been

Flair staying probably means that the only way they have Flair and the Dangerous Alliance going on at the same time involves Flair becoming a face? Maybe with Sting beating Flair in late 91 and Arn joining the DA by backstabbing Windham/Flair

which could mean a Wargames of Sting/Flair/Windham/Rhodes/Steamboat vs Rude/Austin/Arn/Larry/Eaton?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Flair staying probably means that the only way they have Flair and the Dangerous Alliance going on at the same time involves Flair becoming a face? Maybe with Sting beating Flair in late 91 and Arn joining the DA by backstabbing Windham/Flair

which could mean a Wargames of Sting/Flair/Windham/Rhodes/Steamboat vs Rude/Austin/Arn/Larry/Eaton?

Dude don't do that to me!My head just blew like a volcano with the thought of this!

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Flair staying probably means that the only way they have Flair and the Dangerous Alliance going on at the same time involves Flair becoming a face? 

“The battle between good and evil has begun. Against an army of shadows comes a dark warrior, a purveyor of good, with a voice of silence and a mission of justice. This Is Black Scorpion.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A pretty significant reason why there was an opening for the Dangerous Alliance was because Flair left, and Flair's WWF run was better than a scenario where he never went or he went when he was slightly older.

But there are ways where Flair and the DA could have both existed in WCW. Provided the usual stuff about Flair wanting to work heel or Paul E's usual drama didn't undermine things or whatever

Out of Flair/Sting/Windham/Rhodes/Steamboat, there would be a bit of a late 1995 dynamic where some members of the team can trust Flair (Windham/Steamboat) and some really distrust him (Sting/Dustin). I'd think that Steamboat would end up being the guy who keeps things together out of those 5.

I haven't seen these random things mentioned (though they are probably in a random thread I missed)

WWE confirmed there will be an in person WWE Hall of Fame ceremony this year (PWI says it will be Friday, April 1 and it will air on Peacock and the WWE Network "after Smackdown goes off the air"

Also - the were be a not Takeover show that weekend too. Called NXT Stand & Deliver. PWI says that it be on Saturday, April 2 (so the same day as Day 1 of Mania). It would be a matinee show running from Noon - 3 PM (EST)

I saw a click bait story on FB recapping Nick Dinsmore being on Rene Dupre's podcast and was amazed at this description of Eugene. 

Dinsmore portrayed a controversial underdog character who struggled with learning difficulties. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I haven't seen these random things mentioned (though they are probably in a random thread I missed)

WWE confirmed there will be an in person WWE Hall of Fame ceremony this year (PWI says it will be Friday, April 1 and it will air on Peacock and the WWE Network "after Smackdown goes off the air"

Also - the were be a not Takeover show that weekend too. Called NXT Stand & Deliver. PWI says that it be on Saturday, April 2 (so the same day as Day 1 of Mania). It would be a matinee show running from Noon - 3 PM (EST)

Tough guys don't do math... tough guys fry chicken for a living

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking at old Malcolm Bivens tweets and this gem stood out.

I want something bigger for Malcom. I'd love him and Mark Sterling to co-manage Jade like Perfect and Heenan managing Flair. Or I'd love to see him with the Acclaimed. Or Spining Hobbs or Starks off from Team Tazz 

• Like 1

Despite speculation from last year's rounds of cuts in both talent and front office staff, WWE president Nick Khan said they are not in active conversations to sell the company.

In a profile piece for Sports Business Journal, Khan said that while they have taken some calls from interested parties, they are not actively looking to sell.

Khan went into details as to why some of the major changes inside WWE were made, centering around his feeling that some lacked knowledge of media intricacies and didn't have the attitude that WWE is a global content company.

“Vince (McMahon) believed that WWE was at a place where it had earned a seat at the adult table, but others in the company didn’t see it that way,” Khan told John Ourand.

He went on to say, "For the company to be treated the way that Vince, Stephanie (McMahon), Kevin Dunn and myself and others believed it should be treated in the community, you needed executives who reflected that, who had range, who could get people on the phone and who could be taken seriously by their peers."

Khan didn't address any of the talent layoffs, nor did he name specific executives or departments for who he was referring to.

The article focused on WWE's deals with external partners like A&E, Netflix and Blumhouse Media for various documentaries and series, in addition to the strategy of putting out their major live event schedule in advance. The move of some of those big shows to Saturdays, like this week's Royal Rumble, was also cited.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/nick-khan-wwe-not-actively-looking-to-sell-despite-interested-parties

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/01/24/Insiders/Sports-media.aspx

• Like 1

Vince McMahon and George Lucas hanging out on the Presidio 8 Billion Disney dollars between them, each of them endlessly mumbling about how Mania 1 was make or break or how the studio didn't believe a space opera would work over and over again until they both crumple Godfather style off their folding chairs.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10