DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

They held off on Warrior/Savage until after Warrior dropped the belt, which led to that awesome WM match which is the best example of catharsis that I can think of in pro wrestling, but which didn't help Warrior's run at all. I'm not sure that there were many good options, but Rude just was not at that level in 1990 and that feud had been done already. 

I don't think you can save the title reign of such a limited worker like Warrior, but Savage and Earthquake as opponents instead of Rude and being like, "feud with Demolition, I guess" might have made his run less of a flop. 

Warrior and Savage had a few cage matches right before Warrior lost the title I believe.  I wish DIbiase would have been pushed as a more credible challenge to Warrior.  Or Mr. Perfect even.  Nobody thought Rude had a snowballs in hell of winning that Summerslam 90 match.  

Also, Bully Ray can fuck off and go to hell. Jon Moxley doesn't owe him anything. 

• Like 1

The one guy I think the WWF could have built up as a monster heel for Warrior was the Barbarian.  The Powers of Pain had just split up and neither guy really did anything for the rest of their time in the company.  Of the two, Barbarian was by far the better worker, had the better makeover with the skulls and antlers and had Heenan as a mouthpiece.  I think he could have pulled a good match out of Warrior and seeing the Barbarian just squashing dudes in the buildup would have been great.

• Like 3

Yeah, that’s not a bad choice really. Could’ve really played up the two warriors thing between the two. 

Another thing that doesn’t get brought up enough, is that after he won the belt they wanted Warrior to tone down the gimmick for public appearance purposes. Which killed the mystique.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

FYI (and I've missed some posting so forgive me if this has been brought up already) but New Japan is re-debuting on AXSTV in about 45 minutes. Just a reminder.

EDIT: Whoops. I guess it isn't coming back with new stuff until March 3rd, so tonight will be... some kinda footage?

EDIT II: It's Jericho vs. Omega from 2018. I guess they wanted to start with a bunch of blood and cursing on purpose. Completely forgot Josh Barnett was on commentary!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Hogan Vs. Warrior was the key mistake in Warrior’s failure to launch. Not only did it force fans to pick a side, but it was also not that big of a draw. Hogan should’ve lost the belt to Savage prior to WM 6, then you start the Warrior run there with Savage winning it at Mania. Later you decide if you want to do “The Ultimate Challenge” at the next Mania.

Hogan doing to Warrior what he essentially did to Sting 17 years later (Manipulate it so that he essentially buried the guy he "put over") was what sunk Warrior right off the bat.

2 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

The one guy I think the WWF could have built up as a monster heel for Warrior was the Barbarian.  The Powers of Pain had just split up and neither guy really did anything for the rest of their time in the company.  Of the two, Barbarian was by far the better worker, had the better makeover with the skulls and antlers and had Heenan as a mouthpiece.  I think he could have pulled a good match out of Warrior and seeing the Barbarian just squashing dudes in the buildup would have been great.

Haku actually dragged a couple of decent TV matches out of Warrior

I wish instead of everyone on Twitter tweeting "Fuck Bully Ray" everyone instead pointed out how he really is THE guy most responsible for killing off ROH by pissing off NJPW (having access to their talent was essentially their bread and butter) with his complete idiocy at the MSG Supershow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

FYI (and I've missed some posting so forgive me if this has been brought up already) but New Japan is re-debuting on AXSTV in about 45 minutes. Just a reminder.

EDIT: Whoops. I guess it isn't coming back with new stuff until March 3rd, so tonight will be... some kinda footage?

EDIT II: It's Jericho vs. Omega from 2018. I guess they wanted to start with a bunch of blood and cursing on purpose. Completely forgot Josh Barnett was on commentary!

The same show was on Fight Network in the US. That is very good. The Impact that shows up on Fight Network is six months behind the AXS shows. I didn't remember Josh either, although I may not have ever watched it in English. I was at the Dome for it. I might have only watched the Asahi show that night.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Hogan Vs. Warrior was the key mistake in Warrior’s failure to launch. Not only did it force fans to pick a side, but it was also not that big of a draw. Hogan should’ve lost the belt to Savage prior to WM 6, then you start the Warrior run there with Savage winning it at Mania. Later you decide if you want to do “The Ultimate Challenge” at the next Mania.

Yeah, this is a great point.  You don't jump from a once in a generation mega popular babyface straight to the guy you hope can become that.  The Hot Rod/Optimus Prime comparison was perfect.  Building demand for Warrior to win it by having a hated heel beat Hogan would have helped Warrior get off on the right foot.  Not sure if it could have been built to be a better Mania main than Hogan/Warrior, but if the goal was to build the future with Warrior, it would have been a better plan.  Just goes to show you that Vince really can't make stars.  He does a good job promoting them when they fall into his lap and overcome his shitty creative (Austin, Rock, Cena), but that's it.  This dude literally looked at a muscular guy with no talent and said FUCK IT THATS MY GUY.  The sheer, unmitigated hubris.

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

If Vince was semi up to date then WALTER's surname would be revealed as HEISENBERG and the Imperium team would come to the ring dressed in yellow hazmat suits.

Delicious meth-laced chocolate!  Or is it chocolate-laced meth?  Would they advertise it the same way Reece's Peanut Butter Cups were advertised?  "Hey!  You got your chocolate in my meth!"  "No, you got your meth in my chocolate!"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KingM said:

Just google Gunt and then look at Walter's waist on NXT 2.0.   The Gunt flabs his way to Raw soon like Keith Lee did. The he will be getting a dancing gimmick while wearing a dress like Vito, then get released.

Von Wagner takes over imperium. The end.

Gtg.

What's sad is that I have such little faith in WWE Creative, my mind immediately went to them making some kind of joke about WALTER's body when I first heard they changed his name to Gunther. 

31 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Wrestling Flashback – Heidenreich's Hershey Bar – The Armbar Express

It all comes full circle

What do people say about the writers? “They know how to write to Vince’s taste”. This is most likely where the Gunther  character is leading to knowing Vince’s stereotypes are very dated. To be honest if I was running a “character based” wrestling company I probably wouldn’t know how to add a German based character into a western promotion without it being either A)Military obsessed, or B)Octoberfest goofball. I’d literally have to send my writing staff over to Germany to understand the current culture much better. The WWE isn’t that nuanced, even though they are all about creating characters. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

But yeah, we were denied a world where Slaughter reminded us that Hulk Hogan wore red and yellow, just like the commies

Hogan having to lean into a Trade Unionist gimmick would have been funny - he was already calling everyone "brother" and still had the hard hat!

Wa2pile.jpg

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, sabremike said:

I wish instead of everyone on Twitter tweeting "Fuck Bully Ray" everyone instead pointed out how he really is THE guy most responsible for killing off ROH by pissing off NJPW (having access to their talent was essentially their bread and butter) with his complete idiocy at the MSG Supershow.

This is so dumb I can only not be surprised it came from Twitter.

It was a shit angle but damn can’t believe people are still this butt hurt over it. 

2 hours ago, RRR said:

This is so dumb I can only not be surprised it came from Twitter.

It was a shit angle but damn can’t believe people are still this butt hurt over it. 

Instead of nonsensical name calling and insults provide an argument that refutes what I said. The problem is that you can't. He infuriated the New Japan people with his crap "shoot" angle he didn't tell them about that took all the attention away from the planned angle of Yano stealing the belts. You can tell they were annoyed because New Japan never sent any of their guys over to work ROH shows ever again. Not coincidentally ROH pretty much never drew a good crowd by indie standards ever again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Bully Ray is surfing a wave of self-importance and wrestling influence that he thinks is some Point Break shit but is actually a mud puddle. 

Granted I've never met Bubba Ray/Bully but Batista has also said Bubba Ray is a jerk but D'Von is a good dude was always helpful to him in his early days in WWE. What Paige said sort of reminded me of that.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 8

I forget the exact details at the moment but Xavier Woods has said on a few occasions that the only reason he is still in wrestling is because of D’Von and the guidance he provided 

• Like 8