DVDVR Message Board

January 2022 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

So hear me out guys,

If all it takes to get into the Rumble match is to declare you are in the match then why doesn't everyone do it?  If you don't want to be in the Rumble why be in WWE? Logically everyone should declare themselves into the Rumble match and make the guys  (and girls) win qualifiers or something.  I say this as the Street Profits just took up 2 of the 30 spots.  I don't think a soul in the world believes either guy has a snowball chance in hell of winning.  Is the roster that thin?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Infinit said:

One thing about 3 hour Raws...why not book a few squashes? Maybe people would care more about the talent if they got some wins on TV instead of the constant 50/50 bullshit. 

It's been a long time since I've watched, but I liked when they briefly brought that back some years ago with pre-Funkasaurus Brodus Clay. It was a nice change of pace (which I guess says just as much or more about the formatting of the show)

27 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

It seems like the guys who they had work jobbers always went on to fail.   Lord Tensai was one. Brodus Clay,  Vladamir Kozlov, I think they had Hassan work a few jobbers also.  Going to guess when 2024 hits and we finally see Veer he will also be working a jobber. 

That's also a really great point, and I'm not overlooking it nor do I disagree, but those guys tenures ended for multitudes of reasons having nothing to do with squashes IMO.

• Like 1

i'm not planning on doing this every week, but here's what i watched today:

MLW Underground:
s01e01 (4/7/03)
Jerry Lynn def La Parka
Taiyo Kea def Malice
Vampiro def Christopher Daniels

pretty good show. This was taped at the former ECW Arena, but i didn't see Hat Guy or the other regulars, so that was disappointing. Lynn vs Parka was a great way to kick off the show, as it was a great match (no surprise). They pushed Kea pretty hard, but he didn't impress me much. Vampiro/Daniels was solid and put over Daniels even in a loss. Overall, this didn't feel like a debut episode. I felt like i missed out on a bunch of stuff. Sure, they tried to highlight some of it via video packages (formation of Corino's Extreme Horsemen, crowning of first champ Satoshi Kojima), but it just felt like i'm coming in mid-movie. Joey Styles solo on commentary was good, but a bit too ECW for me. If he would have had a partner i think it wouldn't have given that impression.

Lucha Underground:
s01e01: Welcome to the Temple (10/29/14)
Blue Demon Jr. def Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Son of Havoc def Sexy Star
Johnny Mundo def Prince Puma

this was excellent. The setup of the ring/"temple" was fantastic. They introduced the concept and did a great job introducing the new talent. Starting off with Blue Demon vs. a Guerrero was the perfect way to introduce some major players in the history. Sexy Star came off like a, well, star, but why did Havoc win so convincingly? I hope this builds in the near future, because this match just left me scratching my head. Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Mundo facing Prince Puma/Ricochet was aces all around. Nothing but high marks from me. The commentary team of Matt Striker and Vampiro worked more than it didn't. honestly i thought i'd have more complaints about them, but it's pretty much a lock that they will grate on me sooner rather than later.

then i watched some WCW C-Shows from 1994. WCW Power Hour 1/1/94 featured both WCW World Champ Ric Flair AND NWA International World Champ Rick Rude! 

• Like 2

You'll dig La Parka vs. Sabu a lot when that occurs in MLW. I'm not sure how soon it'll air, but it was always showing up on their classic replays. 

Striker never bothered me in LU, maybe because he was just OTT enough for the product. Meanwhile he is completely intolerable in current Impact.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

So what does WWE do with Smackdown the next few weeks? No Roman, no Brock, no Drew, no Sasha, no Jeff Hardy. Will be interesting to see who Vince chooses to lean on.

Shane? Well, probably not. Funnily enough, Goldberg, then. No matter what, it won't be Ricochet, however!

Edited by Shartnado
Not Ricochet

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's not fair to say. She had one major injury. It's a torn achilies. 

She broke her shoulder in NXT and got another arm injury when in the Rumble.

Matt Striker has that issue where he seems to feel that dead air is the enemy, which is somewhat understandable if you've ever had a job that involved public speaking. Its the tendency to feel you have to talk everything to death. He does seem to settle down a bit latter

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Matt Striker has that issue where he seems to feel that dead air is the enemy, which is somewhat understandable if you've ever had a job that involved public speaking. Its the tendency to feel you have to talk everything to death. He does seem to settle down a bit latter

I'm marking out, bro!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I swear, Hacksaw Jim Duggan has about four different segments from Hogan’s initial heel turn to February where he gets a match, and then gets a Gene Okerlund interview where he openly challenges the nWo. He hasn’t gotten into a fight with the nWo once yet. The closest was Sting beating his ass in between.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
9 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don't mind when commentators go a mile a minute if they convey a feeling of genuine excitement (lucha apuestas, JR in Mid-South etc), but hate when it feels forced (the OMG EPIC commentary in Walter/Ilja 1 really really damaged my enjoyment, to give a recent example) 

Obviously we all know Jungle Boy's father is Luke Perry, but I recently discovered that his maternal grandfather (Alan Sharp) was a Scottish novelist and screenwriter (Ulzana's Raid, Night Moves, The Osterman Weekend, Rob Roy)

Are there any other wrestlers with interesting non-wrestling ancestors?

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

It's a very "American commentator" thing. One of the things that I like about European football is that sometimes, the commentators chill the fuck out and let things happen without blathering on at an all-too-high volume about nonsense.

To overlay that onto pro wrestling, it's why I really enjoy Kent Walton as a PBP man. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Swift said:

Obviously we all know Jungle Boy's father is Luke Perry, but I recently discovered that his maternal grandfather (Alan Sharp) was a Scottish novelist and screenwriter (Ulzana's Raid, Night Moves, The Osterman Weekend, Rob Roy)

Are there any other wrestlers with interesting non-wrestling ancestors?

There have been a number of children of professional athletes, if you are counting that. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's a very "American commentator" thing. One of the things that I like about European football is that sometimes, the commentators chill the fuck out and let things happen without blathering on at an all-too-high volume about nonsense.

To overlay that onto pro wrestling, it's why I really enjoy Kent Walton as a PBP man. 

Walton or Lance Russell on PBP with prime Dusty on colour would be my dream team. 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Walton or Lance Russell on PBP with prime Dusty on colour would be my dream team. 

I would love to hear a Walton/Dusty commentary team. Does Walton no-sell Dusty's crazy or lean into it in an understated way?

Now I'm disappointed that it will never happen. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I would love to hear a Walton/Dusty commentary team. Does Walton no-sell Dusty's crazy or lean into it in an understated way?

Now I'm disappointed that it will never happen. 

I'd hope for gradually increasing befuddlement from Walton leading to outright bickering. 

See, when I just read the most current post without backtracking  bit my brain starts thinking things that don't make sense. Like "Oh man, Walton? Bill Walton and Dusty Rhodes would be insane!"

James

Catching up on this thread, two things, take em or leave em:

Bam Bam Bigelow: I mentioned this sometime back here...another mark against him was his gear.  The flames were cool but the design of the gear took away some of his size.  You take a 6'4", 300+ pound behemoth and you put him in a dark bodysuit that covers everything but his head and his biceps on down, and it's going to make him look smaller.  He looked like a fat little bumblebee out there.  It was bad enough that this guy who had previously been promoted as a big man was already dwarfed by a bunch of guys on the roster; then they went and made him smaller.

Lucha Underground:  The first x number of episodes, I want to say the first half of the first season maybe, were weirdly-staffed because of visa issues, I think.  Much lighter on the actual luchadors.  I seem to recall it was such a thing that Cueto cut a shooty promo about fans bitching about not enough luchadors.

Edited by Technico Support

Watched the Raw where they encore'd Bret/Davey from IYH and either somebody really loved Diana Hart reaction shots, or it was a way to try and hide that Bret gigged himself on a WWF PPV.

It is very pro wrestling to get constant reaction shots from Diana watching her husband fight her brother as her brother bleeds quite a bit for non-ECW 1995 US Pro Wrestling. The match is pretty good too.

Meanwhile on Nitro the same week, not sure if he was really appreciated in this time, but you know who did his share in a match with Benoit? Alex Wright. I know quite a few people aren't exactly hungering to do rewatches of matches involving Benoit but Alex Wright was probably a little better than he got credit for from the young dudes who used the internet to talk wrestling in 1995/96.

Also Pillman was at ringside for the Benoit/Wright match and he really brought out a "employee who might call in a fabricated but credible sounding bomb threat to the offices" energy during that time.

• Like 1

Speaking of Alex Wright… I’ve been watching quite a lot of Wright matches from 96-97 lately too. I’m the opposite opinion of him. He’s worse than I remember. He gets super lost in there, and is awkward as hell. He needed to desperately to put on weight, and work more with heavyweights. 

Also just rewatched that Piper family segment. Awful just awful. 

Really up until Piper’s bad segment WCW is pretty red hot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I guess it's possible if I watched a bunch of first half of 1997 WCW, I'd also notice "hey Alex Wright working with people shorter and lighter than him isn't as good as Alex Wright working with heavyweights"

Maybe Alex Wright should have been the unofficial lightest heavyweight (if you overlook that Benoit really never worked with the Cruiserweights). Also he had the bad timing of being in an era where he didn't get a mouthpiece upon turning heel