DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of Platinums, got my 262nd Platinum trophy with Onrush for PS4. Supposedly, on September 30 2022, GameSparks functionality will cease and Onrush will be affected. This will affect multiplayer trophies, XP ranking, and gear awarded (so at least 10 trophies total).

Probably one of the most fun racing games I've ever played. It's like Burnout Paradise, PURE, Blur and Split/Second combined. Soundtrack is great. Basically, the whole game is an audition for Need for Speed...part of me hopes that Codemasters can make Onrush II since EA owns them now. But I know that won't happen.

• Like 1

I just bought Chrono Trigger on Steam (excited to start this), and said fuck it and reserved a SteamDeck while I was at it.

But I've actually been playing a lot of Madden '22. Which is weird, because I don't understand (or really like) football at all, but the game is weirdly helping with that??? I wish there was a nice balance between Rookie and Pro difficulty tho. Rookie is too easy, and Pro just kicks my ass. Oh well, gotta learn to be better at it I guess. Franchise mode is really fun - being the coach instead of an owner or player is more fun, I think.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, Casey said:

But I've actually been playing a lot of Madden '22. Which is weird, because I don't understand (or really like) football at all, but the game is weirdly helping with that??? I wish there was a nice balance between Rookie and Pro difficulty tho. Rookie is too easy, and Pro just kicks my ass. Oh well, gotta learn to be better at it I guess. Franchise mode is really fun - being the coach instead of an owner or player is more fun, I think.

I've always wondered why more sports games don't use adaptive difficulty that adjusts based on a player's skill level. Then I googled it and saw that EA did something that pushed players to buy loot boxes and got sued for it, and went "well that explains EVERYTHING".

MLB The Show has a Dynamic Difficulty that theoretically adapts to how your playing.

Problem is it is a little too eager to up the difficulty. YOU HIT THE BALL ONCE! LETS JACKED THIS UP!!!

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

MLB The Show has a Dynamic Difficulty that theoretically adapts to how your playing.

Problem is it is a little too eager to up the difficulty. YOU HIT THE BALL ONCE! LETS JACKED THIS UP!!!

I mean, isn't that accurate for a sport where being successful three times out of ten means you're among the best players in the game?

Hey so Bioshock Infinite is great. I'm late to this party but yeah, I love it. Besides Fortnite, it's what I'm playing on PS5 right now. I bet this story made a lot of trolls mad back then. Maybe even still?

On Xbox, I'm also playing Fortnite, but the aforementioned Madden '22. And something on Gamepass called Prodeus. Which is basically if DOOM 2 and DOOM 2016 fucked and had a video game baby. That sounds weird, but if you even watch a video of it, you'll see what I mean.

I'm gonna jump into Chrono Trigger today on Steam, I think. I tried out System Shock (thanks @Tabe!) but oh man, I remembered why I don't like keyboard and mouse games. So frustrating. I'm gonna keep trying. I did find a controller layout for the game, though. Won't be perfect, but if it comes to it...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hey so Bioshock Infinite is great.

I think I mentioned here or another thread, but I was so mixed on that game.  I loved the plot, atmosphere, and like 75% of the gameplay, but the constant, forced battles got to be too much after a while.  It was a real departure from the first game and speculation was it was a done to try to attract fans of action-packed FPSs.  Still, a very good game!

I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy and really liked it a lot, but, funny enough, I have the same complaint.  The last few chapters just feel like walk, battle a bunch of bullet sponges, repeat.  Again, not to say it's a bad game because quite the opposite.  It's just a little repetitive and dull in spots. 

Edited by Technico Support

I still haven't played any Bioshock games after the first. I'm still bitter. I played all the way through the first not harvesting (or whatever it was) to get the "good" ending. And then, right before the end, basically got screwed and harvested by mistake. So I got the less-good ending. And that ticked me off. 

• Like 1

I don't think I ever appreciated the Bioshock games as much as anyone else, at least in part because of playing the first one so late after its release (Infinite was old by the time I beat #1 the first time), but also because it just feels like it throws SO much change at you in a very short period of time towards the end.  After the slow burn of...well, nearly everything else, where you can pick over details or not, the ending seems rushed and weird.  Maybe I should replay it.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Google is finally shutting down Stadia.  Everyone who bought games or hardware through the Google Store is getting a refund.

Sucks they're shutting down but issuing refunds like that is pretty awesome. Of course, given the number of players, that's probably like $329 total on refunds. 

• Haha 2

Who've thought an entire system based around needing a superfast, super stable internet connection wouldn't work where less than half the country has either.

As an aside, the Switch's new "Cloud Version" games are gonna be spectacular.

• Like 1

I actually agree the idea of Stadia is neat, but as a rural Canadian whose internet can best be described as "lol you pay WHAT for that?" it was never going to be a real option for me.

Feels like still a generation too early for that tech to me, but someday game companies will circle back to it.

• Like 2

Just last night, someone told me that cloud gaming is the future.  Yep, mankind may be gone by then, but those evolved insects thwt replace us are going to have some killer gaming experiences.  

Edited by madl

56 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I actually agree the idea of Stadia is neat, but as a rural Canadian whose internet can best be described as "lol you pay WHAT for that?" it was never going to be a real option for me.

Fair enough. I live in downtown TO myself, and get my internet through a company called Fibrestream whose business model is basically "Wire up hi-rise condos with fibre and sell internet access at halfway reasonable rates". So I'm sure Stadia would have worked fine for me. Shame to see it go.