DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

So I'm having PS4 troubles currently. A couple of weeks back my machine started turning off randomly. I rebuilt the database and that did nothing. Wasn't overheating as far as I could tell. Eventually I replaced the power cord with another and that seemed to fix it only for the issues to start up again tonight. I used an older cord so I bought a new one only for the problem to persist. Any suggestions on what the issue might be?

Is it beeping when it shuts down?  That would signal something wrong with the board.  If it's just turning off, that might be an issue with the power supply inside the box.  If you're really savy, you should be able to find one on eBay (be careful, some sellers will only sell to shops) or a parts site.  If not, gonna have to take it to someone that'll do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Is it beeping when it shuts down?  That would signal something wrong with the board.  If it's just turning off, that might be an issue with the power supply inside the box.  If you're really savy, you should be able to find one on eBay (be careful, some sellers will only sell to shops) or a parts site.  If not, gonna have to take it to someone that'll do it.

No sound. A battery or the power supply are what I suspect the most. 

Well, I've got a new low for Most Embarrassing Game Death. During Witcher 3, you have a fistfight in the middle of the High Stakes quest. I didn't take it seriously because I figured, "Eh, I'm in the middle of a Gwent tournament." NOPE! You Are Dead, Game Over if you lose that fistfight.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Raziel said:

I had the battery issue, that just screws the system clock (which screws you being able to connect and authenticate with PSN).  Still started up.

That is good to know. My older brother was thinking it was possibly just that with what he found online, but I lean towards the power supply with a hope of it being something not as bad. Was able to use it for a while yesterday without issues though I didn't do a true test of actually playing a game. Just used some streaming apps and was able to finish a few episodes while using it. I just know even if I am able to play a game for a while its almost certainly going to shut off randomly again at some point like it did before. 

I know The Last of Us is seemingly widely hated on this board, but The Last of Us Part I is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful on PS5. 3D audio and DualSense just makes it perfect.

The Platinum will be a lot easier than PS3 & PS4 versions, but sure I'll go through it again.

I need to finish up Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I know The Last of Us is seemingly widely hated on this board, but The Last of Us Part I is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful on PS5. 3D audio and DualSense just makes it perfect.

The Platinum will be a lot easier than PS3 & PS4 versions, but sure I'll go through it again.

I need to finish up Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection too.

Is it? I loved Part 2, personally. One of the best games I’ve ever played. I want to try out Part 1 Remake but I’ll wait for a slight discount (I don’t need a deep discount). Still not used to games being $70 so it still hurts a little, lol.

Oh and fuck Joel ?

• Like 2

For the most part - the only negative I have seen (or at least remember) regarding them was (especially when Part II was out) was folks not really feeling like playing the games in the midst of a Global pandemic.

Granted - there are probably people who hate them but there are also curmudgeons around here who aren't the biggest fans of most AAA titles

For the record - I have played neither mainly because I am already plenty unhappy. I don't need to be unhappy with stunning visual graphics

• Like 1

I think I'm the only one that hated Last of Us.  I just found the story cliche in the worst ways, gameplay in the original release was jank as fuck, and it kinda felt like a waste because you could see the end coming by the end of the first act.

LoU2 I didn't like because it was fucking boring.  Yeah, they fixed a lot of the issues 1 had, but man there were huge slogs of the game where nothing fucking happened and the characters that weren't Elle and Abby were not interesting in the slightest.

I will also add, part of my opinion on TLOU was a whole lot of people I know in various places were just going on and on about how much of a perfect classic it is and how it's must play, so when I started hitting what I saw as flaws, I went "This is a perfect game?" and opinion got colored accordingly.

I did try a replay to see if time seperated me from my opinons, and yeah, I still don't like the game.  Not saying anyone else is wrong for liking it, go ahead, it's just not by thing.

I hated TLOU the first time I played it. That was the PS3 version. Gave up after a few hours. 

When the PS4 version came out, I have it another chance. And hated it exactly the same way. Except I pushed on. And literally 5 or 10 minutes after the spot, I'd previously quit, the game opened up for me and it clicked and I ended up loving it. The giraffe moment was magical. 

But no way I'd pay $70 for a PS5 version with graphics that are overexposed in many places with a downgraded model for Elly. 

• Like 1

I'm firmly on the anti side. Briefly, I find their storytelling to be largely at odds with the game they make, and not in some fun intentional way. I think most of sony's auteur-marketed stuff suffers from this, where these people make games about human misery because their work environment is openly hellish, and you make what you know. It causes their stories to ring hollow to me, especially in the case of TLOU where the writing team is making Cormac McCarthy's The Road Where I Miss My Family Because I'm Here 90 Hours A Week and the animators are making Super Manhunt 3 EX Plus Alpha. I feel both of those mindsets are inflicted upon these professionals by their environment, and I can't get down with it. I feel the praise those games get can be most attributed to the games industry dragging it's feet with developing dramas or anything that is not action movie pastiche. As such, they are conversed about in a hyperbolic fashion that's often not that connected to what's actually happening in those games.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 2

I think TLOU has a brilliant and engaging story, but the gameplay is complete garbage.  I feel that it is more of an interactive novel than it is a video game.  I think the critics that gushed over the plot turned a blind eye to the cruddy mechanics when they reviewed it and confused "one of the best narratives ever written" with "one of the best games ever made."   There is a difference between those two things.

Portal 2 is probably as close as it gets as far as a game reaching the apex of both gameplay and storytelling.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think TLOU has a brilliant and engaging story, but the gameplay is complete garbage.  I feel that it is more of an interactive novel than it is a video game.  I think the critics that gushed over the plot turned a blind eye to the cruddy mechanics when they reviewed it and confused "one of the best narratives ever written" with "one of the best games ever made."   There is a difference between those two things.

Portal 2 is probably as close as it gets as far as a game reaching the apex of both gameplay and storytelling.

I’m biased, but I’d RDR and rdr2 in that camp.

Probably.  Andromeda had a decent enough story, but the Kett were one of the most clichéd and disposable alien villain races ever made.  We may as well have been fighting 1979 Klingons or the Evil Greys from Independence Day.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Probably.  Andromeda had a decent enough story, but the Kett were one of the most clichéd and disposable alien villain races ever made.  We may as well have been fighting 1979 Klingons or the Evil Greys from Independence Day.

Shit, fighting the Evil Greys would've immediately made Andromeda a 1000% better, although I pretty much *liked* most of the mechanics, it was just the story that messed with the vibe.  I'd be up for an Andromeda 2 that was more exploring/fixing the galaxy from the Remnant vaults.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, Craig H said:

And yeah, Game Pass is the best deal out there. Like Nick mentioned, Shredder's Revenge was one I started playing with my daughter. I was also happy to see Guardians of the Galaxy on there given that it received a ton of love during various Game of the Year podcasts. Then there's Tunic.

At some point I will go back and play Gears of War 3 and the other new Gears of War stuff that I never bothered with. 

Have you checked out the Guardians game yet?  I've finished the first four chapters and it's pretty good!