DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Bloomberg is reporting that Sony has just bought Jade Raymond's Haven Studios.

Correct as Sony has officially announced it

Pretty good for a studio that still hasn't released a game and the one they are working on is years away (Sony was already an investor on the game so this is not a surprising step)

Yeah, I was not surprised.  Haven hasn't put out any games, but I wouldn't be shocked if Sony paid them to stay mum until after the acquisition.  Jade announced that Haven was working on a new IP for Sony last year after she left Google / Stadia and Haven has been quietly plunking away ever since.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

My current frustration is because DS4's all end up with fucking drift eventually, and 90% of the time I'm playing PS4 stuff remotely via my laptop, I'm looking for a wired DS4 replacement with a non-shit D-pad.  Anyone have any suggestions other than buying a $70 Hori FPS (which I know is real good but I'm not quite wanting to spend $70.)

I suppose this could go in the deal thread but it doesn't include any games so...

If you're a Costco member, they have Series X consoles in-stock online.  System + extra controller for $550 with free shipping.

Did anyone ever play Murdered: Soul Suspect? I got it a few weeks ago for a few bucks when Sony was running one of their digital store deals, and I finally tried it out earlier today. Interesting game, where you play as a dude trapped in... purgatory, I guess, trying to find his killer. While finding clues and piecing together your own murder mystery, you do the same thing with other souls trapped here waiting to "cross the bridge". And you have to avoid demons by hiding in other souls, and execute them when they aren't looking or whatever. I quite like it, actually. Surprising given that Square Enix does nothing for me usually.

I also picked up the visual novel prequel for Ghostwire Tokyo (it's free!), but I haven't tried that out yet. I'm still consumed with WWE 2K22, and waiting for Horizon Forbidden West to stop getting patches so I know the game is good to go. I'm really just using that as an excuse, since I've been playing other shit, though. And I still have stuff like Kentucky Route Zero, Guardians of the Galaxy and Weird West on the Xbox to try out, too. Fuck.

MARIO KART RELAPSE [3]
"i'm looking for a switch thing to play, hey the SNES player has Mario Kart, hey I have Mario Kart 8, hey they just announced that DLC that's got that course I love from the DS game, maybe it'll have the other ones, oh look I bought it"

one hour process, this. But hey, after falling off Forza Horizon 5, I'm having a good time with that there Mario Kart.

BALAN WONDERWORLD [3]
ok hear me out

It was half off and I've seen so many videos about it that I resolved that goddamnit, I need to see this game for myself. Here's the thing, and this kind of links back into why I keep putting scores on things and why I use my specific scale: I think people's measurement metrics for what makes games good is predicated on this "Is This GOTY Calibur" and some games are not that no matter what. So when you're making your ordered list of the best platformers of the modern generation then yeah Balan Wonderworld aint Mario or Astro or Time Hat Time or whatever.

Approaching it as it's own game, it's fascinating. It comes from the mindset of developers who had hardware limitations and engineered solutions in the hardware limitations, but modern hardware doesn't have the same limitations? So they feel like artificial hardware limitations? But at the same time, the levels have enough honest geometry that it's fun to crawl around and see where you can get that seems impossible or awkward, and that crawling around in the margins of what a game should be doing is really key for how I learned to enjoy games.

The art design is surreal and the sound makes a lot of cooing squeaking noises and there are musical numbers at the end of every stage and if you 100% a zone you get the musical number in English and not french-sounding gibberish. It's a game full of strident, fascinating, old-fashioned Decisions. I don't know that I'd recommend anyone buy it, but I had to see it for myself and I'm glad I did.

For whatever reason my copy of Tiny Tina's Wonderland came today so that'll give me something to do tonight. I know some people are criticizing it as "just more Borderlands" but I happen to like Borderlands so I'm excited to play it.

I keep putting off Elden Ring. I want to play it and I will but I have to be the right mood for that style of game and I'm not emotionally there yet.

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I saw someone streaming Ghostwire Tokyo yesterday and... it looks like complete shit?

I mean, I wasn't exactly encouraged by the preview trailers but man alive.

I'm only going off of what I've heard about it on Giant Bombcast and Nextlander, but it doesn't sound good. They're still playing it, but it almost sounds like they're playing it out of a morbid curiosity.

Xplay gave it a 2 out of 5 and yikes that’s pretty bad. It was always going to be a game I’d buy on discount anyway, but geez. The Evil Within this isn’t, from the sound of it.

Immortals Fenyx Rising is really hitting the spot for me right now despite the dumb name.  Just a giant, nice-looking undemanding open world full of map icons to visit and stuff to collect.  It doesn't have any of the charm or wonder of Breath of the Wild but is mechanically a little tighter, and doesn't have weapon degradation.  Good shit for $15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Immortals Fenyx Rising is really hitting the spot for me right now despite the dumb name.  Just a giant, nice-looking undemanding open world full of map icons to visit and stuff to collect.  It doesn't have any of the charm or wonder of Breath of the Wild but is mechanically a little tighter, and doesn't have weapon degradation.  Good shit for $15.

Yeah,  it's legit my favorite Ubisoft game in years because it is the only one that has even tried to do something new. I got really far into the game before my save corrupted,  so I gave up on it, but I had an absolute ball with it up until then. 

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I haven't played Breath of the Wild to compare, but for the record I really liked Immortals' story. Gameplay was occasionally frustrating but mostly good.

Balan Wonderworld has NiGHTS Into Dreams's gorgeous art direction and sense of whimsy, but unfortunately where NIGHTS feels exceptionally good to play, Balan is a jankfest.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, J.T. said:

I don't know who DDoSed the Among Us servers this weekend, but I swear it wasn't me.

That's exactly the sort of thing that someone who DDoSed the Among Us servers would say.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

That's exactly the sort of thing that someone who DDoSed the Among Us servers would say.

Come now.  If I had done it, I'd be bragging about it all over some private message board.... which none of you could access because it's private.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Casey said:

wish me luck boys, I've officially gone down the Fortnite rabbit hole now that building "isn't a thing" (that's a lie, it definitely still is in stuff like Team Royale).

Good luck getting the Platinum (if that's the sort of thing you're wanting to do).

7 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Good luck getting the Platinum (if that's the sort of thing you're wanting to do).

It looked to be mainly based on Save the World, am I wrong? But yeah I’m just playing the solo and duos matches with a buddy from work for the most part.

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

It looked to be mainly based on Save the World, am I wrong? But yeah I’m just playing the solo and duos matches with a buddy from work for the most part.

It's entirely Save The World....also if you have an UK account and you get the Platinum on the US version, it'll pop for the UK version. As well as PS5 version.

Speaking of things for Platinums/Trophies

Fast & Furious Crossroads is being removed from digital storefronts at the end of April

Bandai Namco claims the servers will remain active but if that was a game you were eyeballing you might want to do it sooner rather than later