DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I have heard Guardians of the Galaxy talked about in a hugely positive way on nearly every Game of the Year podcast I listen to. Every podcast has something good to say about it. Is it really that good? I was hoping it would be on Game Pass, but it sadly isn't, so hopefully it drops down from $60 in the near future. 

GoTG is kinda short, but it's pretty good.   You probably want to get yourself a guide to the Collectables so you don't miss any.  They like to hide those shits in the most obscure places to force you to replay.

So, on the way to Whiterun I ran into the Alik'r warriors hunting for the Redguard woman holed up at the tavern.  This must be a new thing, because I don't remember ever encountering any foreshadowing for that side gig.   The Alik'r were polite so I would consider actually helping them capture the Redguard instead of going to that dungeon to kill them all.

I think I would enjoy Skyrim fishing more if I actually caught fish that were native to the spot where I am fishing.   It would also be nice if the elk I am bow hunting wouldn't die in the river and be swept away by the current.  There goes dinner.

As much as I want to attack the Thalmor prison convoy, I know that will just earn me a bounty on my head.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have heard Guardians of the Galaxy talked about in a hugely positive way on nearly every Game of the Year podcast I listen to. Every podcast has something good to say about it. Is it really that good? I was hoping it would be on Game Pass, but it sadly isn't, so hopefully it drops down from $60 in the near future. 

I think it was $25-30 physically a lot over the holidays. I'm guessing it'll pop back there over the next couple of weeks. It's the first time in a long time I powered through a game like that because the story was that engaging for me.  The gameplay can be a bit hit and miss though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's really good.  It has been on sale multiple times already, so you should be able to get it at a lower price.  For me it was a nice break from all the too big, too long, too much boring side quest, AAA games that have come out in the last few years.  It is a mostly linear shooter that is fun throughout, progresses right until the end, and is full of good character moments.  There is no tedium, it's just go from place to place, fight some enemies, talk to your team, and move on to the next area.  It is challenging, but not frustrating, and the game ends right when you feel like you have mastered the battle system.  

17 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Sony is buying Bungie for $3.6 billion

In their statement Bungie claims "our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play" which sounds like them trying to head off "DESTINY 2 WILL BECOME PS5 EXCLUSIVE~!" chatter

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Maybe the new game they were working on will be exclusive. Destiny is too far spread to lose money trying to make exclusive.

Bungie is stretched thin as it is. Anything non-Destiny feels like it would be near the end of the PS5's life. 

This just feels like Sony had to do something in response to Microsoft's moves. Meanwhile, EA is like, "yo, hello? We're here too!"

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bungie is stretched thin as it is. Anything non-Destiny feels like it would be near the end of the PS5's life. 

This just feels like Sony had to do something in response to Microsoft's moves. Meanwhile, EA is like, "yo, hello? We're here too!"

Whatever they are working on I think has been worked on for two years already. I figure it will be out probably more in the middle of the PS5's life. 

Yeah, I think Sony needs to buy an EA or a TakeTwo for the sake of getting casual gamers to stay in their console ecosystem. I mean there are people that only buy Madden/FIFA and Call of Duty every year. If you give Microsoft both, then Sony starts to become Nintendo in some ways. 

13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Sony is already saying future Bungie games will be multiplatform.

Sony's also teasing that more acquisitions are coming.

That is surprising. Figured at least one would be exclusive, neat and good news for non-PS players I suppose.

Time to visit Kotaku and troll the MS BUYING ACTIVISION IS BAD people who are probably celebrating in the streets after the Bungie news.

I support the purchase.  Maybe some corporate pressure and infrastructure investment will get Destiny 2 back on track.  And with the current business model dependent on cross play and microtransactions, it doesn't seem logical that a future Destiny game will ever be PS exclusive.  

With crossplay now a thing, I am not even sure how Sony offers better Destiny content to its customers without alienating XBox and PC players.  You could put Hawkmoon out in the wild for PS players only in Year One.   Now, not so much.

if Sony is teasing more acquisitions, you have to think that one of those is EA.

I've always heard ugly things about the Bungie / 343 schism, so it is not surprising that Bungie would hitch its wagon to Sony rather than Micosoft

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

Time to visit Kotaku and troll the MS BUYING ACTIVISION IS BAD people who are probably celebrating in the streets after the Bungie news.

I already went and made the mistake of reading the comments

Don't make the same mistake

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Feels like a bit of an apples to oranges comparison considering the difference in size and output.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I already went and made the mistake of reading the comments

Don't make the same mistake

I can always count on Kotaku and Endgaget to provide me with the salty tears I require for survival.

So, you have to think that the new IP that Bungie announced will probably end up being a PS exclusive and that Sony will also get on the multi-platform marketing tip and drag out a Destiny movie franchise by the mid to late 2020's.  Sony doesn't give a shit about consoles alone.  They've got eyes on a bigger prize.

Anyone think Bungie will do something wild like re-release Halo 1-3/Reach on PS5 without calling it Halo? Or is that a really bad idea?

EDIT: What's even wilder is Destiny was originally published by Activision. So if Bungie re-releases Destiny 1 for PS5 that's going to be interesting.

Edited by Andrew POE!

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Anyone think Bungie will do something wild like re-release Halo 1-3/Reach on PS5 without calling it Halo? Or is that a really bad idea?

I mean its a bad idea unless you enjoy Microsoft having to sue PS/Bungie for a lot of money

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I can always count on Kotaku and Endgaget to provide me with the salty tears I require for survival.

My favorite are all the people who think Sony - in the span of two weeks - just decided to buy Bungie as revenge for the Activision purchase

• Haha 4