DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah my problem with paid subscriptions is I feel like I HAVE to play them all the time and it tends to burn me out. I don't regret my time in FF 14 though. 

I understand why you'd want them to go free to play but when their servers are getting overloaded as is, that's not happening for a few years yet at least.

Switch is quietly continuing to be the best platform for shmups since the Xbox 360.  Cel-shaded shoot-em-up Radirgy Swag was released on the Nintendo eshop yesterday.  A port of underrated Xbox 360 shooter Eschatos is set to release tomorrow and Illmatic Envelope Swamp (from the Radirgy Swap developer) is supposedly going to be available in the West very soon now.  

Last year, five excellent Cave shooters - DonDonPachi, Espgaluda II, Mushihimesama, and Deathsmiles I & II - got ported to the Switch, along with G-Darius HD, virtually the entire Cotton series, a remake of Cotton 1, a new Cotton title that won't be released in the West until 2022, and several other bundles of goodness.   Some of the titles are also getting ported to PS4, but the Switch has a good-sized selection of Switch shmups that have yet to be announced for Xbox or PlayStation.

Given that the Switch probably has about three years left before the Switch 2 makes an appearance, I'm guessing the Switch is going to be the best console for shoot-em-ups since the Dreamcast.  I'm not a huge fan of some of the ports and am hoping the Cave games all make their way to PlayStation eventually, but - at worst - they're average ports of great games and most of the releases have been well above average (good-great).  I'm not even a shmup superfan but my PlayStation/Switch shmup library is already huge.

I only have the Psikyo collections, Mushihimesama, Sine Mora, Jamestown, and Blackbird (not even Raiden!) but I think I'd argue that the ability/accessories that allow you to play in Tate Mode undocked make the Switch the objective best console for shmups, ever.

• Like 1

Got my 244th Platinum trophy with First Class Trouble for PS4. Most of the trophies will autopop on PS5. I feel like this game is not long for this world and the servers will shut down soon.

It's an online only multiplayer game similar to Among Us but very barebones and prone to disconnects and network errors.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 244th Platinum trophy with First Class Trouble for PS4. Most of the trophies will autopop on PS5. I feel like this game is not long for this world and the servers will shut down soon.

It's an online only multiplayer game similar to Among Us but very barebones and prone to disconnects and network errors.

A couple of channels I follow did a couple of streams of it a few months ago and then it seemed to vanish again - so yeah, it definitely seemed like it was a "Oh will this catch on like Among Us. Nope. Moving on then."

I’ve been playing Bloodborne for about a month.

It’s one of the most counter-intuitive (or just plane incomprehensible) games I’ve ever played. Want to get to a new map? Pick up a thing on one location and then go back to a previous location that will act differently now, though there are no internal clues that this is the case.

I also don’t understand gestures or ruins or chalices. And the target-lock mechanic is pretty whack.

Anyway, I’m enjoying it.

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I only have the Psikyo collections, Mushihimesama, Sine Mora, Jamestown, and Blackbird (not even Raiden!) but I think I'd argue that the ability/accessories that allow you to play in Tate Mode undocked make the Switch the objective best console for shmups, ever.

Raiden on Switch? I may have to get my own Switch then... 

LIST UPDATE

CRUELTY SQUAD- FINISHED
I opted for the first ending here as the process towards the true ending- which a friend already showed me anyways- requires me to go headlong against a major phobia and maybe some day but not right now! This is still the unquestionable 2021 Game of the Year and any conversation that doesn't include it isn't worth hearing out! Play Cruelty Squad!

DARK SOULS 2: SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN- BRIGHTSTONE COVE TSELDORA
Running a Cleric Miracle build, Primary is the Blacksmith Hammer +4 (it's fun), offhand is the Disc Chime, aspiring to get Sunlight Weapon. I've done two of the four great souls (or whatever they're called?) and it's honestly the furthest I've ever been in a souls game. I'm aspiring to beat this before Elden Ring comes out, especially now that I know Kirby is out a fuckin Month Later. I've made it to the Iron Keep, but there's an invader by the front door that is just kicking my fuckin ass so I'm doing everything else I have available. I'm skipping a lot of optional bosses, and just trying to get down the main line as fast as possible.

DRAGON QUEST XI S- JUST GOT TO GONDOLIA
This is a major landmark for me, as my first playthrough ended shortly after here on account of my primary PS4 had this cool thing where it would spit discs out all the time. So I'm almost done dragging my feet through stuff I've already done! I imagine the pace will pick up much faster after I'm done here.

HOLLOW KNIGHT- DRAGGING MY FEET
The Soul Master is my next obvious boss, and I don't want to do it, so I made progress in all these other games instead lol

Spelunky 2 went up on GamePass, so I’ll finally be banging my head against that. Bought Guardians last night, too, but haven’t installed it yet. I just keep doing Isaac runs instead of playing anything else. It’s a sickness, I think. 

I rolled credits on Mafia 3.

Still have some horticultural stuff to do, but I was satisfied with the ending, so I may or may not go back and clean that up.

It was the first Mafia game for me, very GTA-like.

Driving and gunplay was solid.

Loved the emphasis on stealth in the missions.

I stopped playing Kingdoms of Amalur The Reckoning because I got into Mafia 3 so much.

Probably will go back to that to finish as much as I can stand.

There's a ton of side stuff to do, so I may just try to complete main quest.

It's a good itch scratcher for my fantasy vibe, but it makes me want to play Elder Scrolls.

Thinking of playing all the stuff I have from the Wolfenstein series on PS4.

Those have been on the pile for a minute.

• Like 2

I'm also currently playing Mafia 3 (even though I'm putting more time into AC Valhalla right now) and it's very weird to me that Mafia 3 plays way better than Mafia 1 Remake. I've mentioned it before that, at least for me on the Series S, Mafia 3 looks... really dull and has a lot of blur issues outside of cutscenes, whereas Mafia 1 Remake looked fantastic all around but still controlled pretty clunky and felt like my character was moving through mud at all times. Mafia 3 has a fantastic soundtrack, too.

Pretty wild that I haven't turned on my PS5 in weeks, and probably won't until Horizon: Forbidden West comes out.

After Nextlander talked it up pretty huge, I downloaded The Forgotten City off of Game Pass. I'm a little burned out on time loop games and this will probably be the last one of these I play. I doubt I'll go back and finish Deathloop. That game plays very well, it has good characters, but I just hit a wall with that game in trying to discover how to kill all of the visionaries in one day. It got pretty convoluted and I ultimately stopped caring. Echoes of the Eye, the expansion for the Outer Wilds, continues to be pretty, ahem, MYSTifying...and so far I have only had to resort to a walkthrough just once. I feel like my daughter and I are getting close to finishing that one. So far, it's a sadder tale than what the main game told. I also have yet to encounter anything scary.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I doubt I'll go back and finish Deathloop. That game plays very well, it has good characters, but I just hit a wall with that game in trying to discover how to kill all of the visionaries in one day. It got pretty convoluted and I ultimately stopped caring.

My sentiments exactly.  I can't lie, while I was playing it, I did like it a whole lot...it just wasn't enough gameplay variety to keep me interested long enough to finish the game.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So, the XB1 is officially dead.  No new consoles are in in production and the model has been discontinued. 

Meanwhile - Sony's official response to the PS5 shortage is to make more PS4s

https://kotaku.com/sony-to-produce-more-ps4s-in-response-to-ps5-shortage-1848345590

Honestly, I thought both the PS4 and Xbox One had been discontinued in Nov. 2020.  Was very surprised Sony is still producing PS4's.  Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea, especially considering Microsoft is having success with the Xbox One.  Sony said the number of new PS4's made could vary depending on demand, but one site said they were planning on making one million.  That's not a huge number.  I won't be too surprised if Sony extends crossgen releases into 2023.  They previously said first-party PS4 games would be discontinued at the end of 2022.

They surprise-dropped SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash on the Switch eShop this week. I've been waiting for this for years. I played the shit out of the Pokemon TCG on Gameboy Color and this was the only other handheld TCG game held in similar esteem. I read about it in magazines, talked about it online, heard it mentioned at retro shops, tried to get the ball rolling on it via emulation but this is the first time I've dived in despite wanting to for 20 years. Even almost bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color once just so I could own it... yeah, this game is as great as everybody says it is. Eight bucks. Pure joy.

ss_snk_vs_capcom_card_fighters_clash_neo 

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I've been playing Valhalla a bunch since I got it for Christmas. One difference I've noticed between it and Odyssey is that in Odyssey your upgrades get nerfed a bit because after a certain point it just upgrades the enemies with in a level or three of yours, which was annoying as hell. I turned it off for Valahalla because I like being a tank and it helps for boss battles(I HATE boss battles) which are few are far between. Over the past few games(since Origins, I think) its become more roleplaying game like, but I enjoy it. Plus the futuristic bullshit it kept to the bare minimum.

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

I've been playing Valhalla a bunch since I got it for Christmas. One difference I've noticed between it and Odyssey is that in Odyssey your upgrades get nerfed a bit because after a certain point it just upgrades the enemies with in a level or three of yours, which was annoying as hell. I turned it off for Valahalla because I like being a tank and it helps for boss battles(I HATE boss battles) which are few are far between. Over the past few games(since Origins, I think) its become more roleplaying game like, but I enjoy it. Plus the futuristic bullshit it kept to the bare minimum.

That's what I like about AC Valhalla so far. I like leveling up and crushing people. I remember at the beginning of the game, I ran across Erik Loyalskull and he killed me in about 2 seconds because I was like power level 10 and you should be at least 50 or so for him. I went back when I was at 90 and destroyed him. I'm at about 170 now and with the gear I have, I can stomp pretty much anything that's 220 or lower. I did a bunch of those River Raids to get the St. George's Armor and also went on a hunt for the Brigandine Armor so I can switch between those two and Raven Clan armor. And this is the first AC game I've played but I read a lot of complaints about the future crap in the past games. I've only had to do one of those cut scene things so far. It was kind of annoying but not too bad. However, I can see how that would get old real quick if you had to do a bunch of them.

I'll spoiler this for those who haven't played but

Spoiler

Man, I hated when Ceolbert died. I was starting to like him. Don't know why the fuck I sent Ivarr to Valhalla but I did. Should've kept his ax and let his ass rot in Helheim. 

already got enough for another LIST UPDATE

DARK SOULS 2: SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN- IRON KEEP
In my last session I encountered two of the most powerful feelings souls games can offer you. On the upswing, I defeated The Duke's Dear Freja- a boss that has a long and arduous trek to withstand on the way there- on my first try. I felt fuckin' so sick and strong. Then I went to the last of area of the first half of the game, the Iron Keep, and have so far died to one mandatory phantom 25 times. This may take a while.

GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT- FINISHED
I left the campaign my friend and I started last year to beat all the Gears games off my list cuz I haven't been counting multiplayer games. Judgment is the best game in the series and it isn't even close. It's the gameplay peak, it's got big stupid action movie pacing, and only really stumbles with the final boss, which has been the problem of every Gears game aside from Gears 1. Strongest possible recommendation.

GEARS OF WAR 4- PLAYED ACT 1
A great first twenty minute flashback that's so far been followed with a pretty annoying game. So the main observation I took from Gears 3 is that is from a group of devs that shat their pants at Uncharted 2. The main observation so far in 4, a game from a studio that was founded to keep making Gears games, is that it is made by people who respect the Uncharted games so much, they made their main character half-an-uncharted. The title screen is literally just his face. The dev effort went into making moving feel better, and every part of it does. However, since Judgment is the black sheep, every single improvement Judgment made to the gameplay is now gone. I feel a great sense of dread about finishing this.

THE ANACRUSIS- HOLY SHIT IT'S A CATASTROPHE
Tried through the gamepass free trial thing. I know it's a game preview, but like... is this going to help? Is there any chance this helps this game? It is performance wise a mess, but it's worse to play and it's grating to boot. Like ok, Shatner Star Trek Left4Dead sounds great, but when it's just people talking in those outfits and then you are playing the grossest feeling action game? It's not going to do enough to cover the gap there. I hope there's so much ground covered between now and release, because the state it's in on consoles is completely unacceptable.

DRAGON QUEST XI S - I'M PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW
It's proven: the best way to play any Dragon Quest game is before bed. Just play until you reach the next save point!

The PS 1 American version of Monster Rancher 2

Monster-Rancher-2-220116-022212.png

The new DX versions of MR1 and 2 still don't have a complete list of changes but there are further changes and fixes, the changes from the recently non DX released versions are also carried over. The newer versions are easier and certain bugs are done away with.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:53 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

THE ANACRUSIS- HOLY SHIT IT'S A CATASTROPHE
Tried through the gamepass free trial thing. I know it's a game preview, but like... is this going to help? Is there any chance this helps this game? It is performance wise a mess, but it's worse to play and it's grating to boot. Like ok, Shatner Star Trek Left4Dead sounds great, but when it's just people talking in those outfits and then you are playing the grossest feeling action game? It's not going to do enough to cover the gap there. I hope there's so much ground covered between now and release, because the state it's in on consoles is completely 

This is a bummer to hear. For those that may not know, this is Will Smith of Maximum PC, Tested, Giant Bomb, and Brad and Will's Tech Pod fame. I was hoping his game would be good. 

I'll still give it a shot though.