DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Thanks to Stefanie and everybody else looking up the data.

I'm a data analyst at heart. ?

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

The Janela dustup is interesting.  Janela claimed he knows someone in MLW who signed a three-year deal that only guaranteed him $14.000 for three years.  I'm really curious why you would sign a deal that awful?

If it's someone who has potential to get an AEW or WWE offer, sure that's an awful deal.

If it's someone not on their radar $14k + whatever random indy paydays is... $14k more than you'd have without signing. While it does lock them in and potentially get them into a situation like Pillman Jr was in, I'll take $14k + X vs just X in a heartbeat. Or just the $14k. That's going to be significantly more money than just about any non-name makes in a year from indy wrestling. (85%-90% of working wrestlers out there not signed to deals).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Also - why is Hook on a list of black wrestlers? I'm pretty sure neither of Taz's parents are black, and unless his wife is...

Hook is there as the comparison point.
He has more wins than any black wrestler on the roster.

I think HOOK is the wrong target though. He's a legit phenom in terms of charisma and booking. Every promotion in the world would run with this kid if they were smart.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Hook is there as the comparison point.
He has more wins than any black wrestler on the roster.

I think HOOK is the wrong target though. He's a legit phenom in terms of charisma and booking. Every promotion in the world would run with this kid if they were smart.

He doesn't have more wins than Jade Cargill.

• Like 1

I think people are mainly intending these points about the men's division because that's where the issue is, and there was an understanding that the women's division was more of a work in progress and they didn't have access to as many polished women wrestlers to start it out or grow it during the pandemic. Jade however  is kind of a special-case nailed-on phenomenon that reminds me of the Ta-Nehisi Coates line on Obama becoming president where it just sort of raises the question "so it took someone that perfect for there to even be a chance, huh?"

It's true that the off-the-peg-over main event male talent they were able to sign was mostly white, but if you don't have access to sign a ready-made main event black male talent maybe you should be making more effort to grow one? Like is there a reason Hobbs can't be on main TV a few times a month just to squash a guy, let him get some reps and see if he connects with the crowd?

Also not really directly related to any of this but the second I saw that Khan tweet insulting Swole I thought "oh shit yeah he definitely signed off on the offensive Caster rap then threw him under the bus when it backfired didn't he"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Also not really directly related to any of this but the second I saw that Khan tweet insulting Swole I thought "oh shit yeah he definitely signed off on the offensive Caster rap then threw him under the bus when it backfired didn't he"

FWIW, I always assumed this is exactly how that one went down.

10 hours ago, A_K said:

What Wardlow push? Does someone want to pull up how many matches he's actually had on TV in the past 24 months? Anything being referred to here is literally sentiment accrued over the past 6-8 weeks.

That's.......that's what a push is. 

He was cooled off and now they're warming him up.  This "24 months" thing is like claiming 1997 Steve Austin wasn't getting a push because he wasn't doing shit as the Ringmaster a year and a half earlier.  Maybe I'm missing your point because I don't get the logic of "he's not getting a push because before his push he wasn't getting a push."

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

That's.......that's what a push is. 

He was cooled off and now they're warming him up.  This "24 months" thing is like claiming 1997 Steve Austin wasn't getting a push because he wasn't doing shit as the Ringmaster a year and a half earlier.  Maybe I'm missing your point because I don't get the logic of "he's not getting a push because before his push he wasn't getting a push."

I don't even know if I'd agree that he was cooled off. He's always been fairly well protected, even in his losses. Cody had to jump off the top of the cage to beat him. Hager had to take him out of his element and into a ruleset he wasn't familiar with to beat him. Jericho had to hit him with a baseball bat to beat him.

Aside from that, there's the loss to Hangman, which like... oh no, he lost to the guy who was always being groomed as an eventual World champion.

12 hours ago, EVA said:

Kids are way more likely to be watching YouTube or TikTok content than cable these days.

Plenty of people have built followings off the YouTube stuff, especially if you count the vlogs. Fuego’s popularity was purely generated in the YT space. Much of the Acclaimed’s early buzz was built on Dark during the pandemic. Etc.

Good examples.  I appreciate AEW overall not burning thru matches, but I do sometimes wonder if some of the lower card wouldn't benefit greatly from more competitive one on ones (less local talent squashes), and tags, with their tier contemporaries.  And for some of those matches to lead to a series of matches.  Not to suggest they don't happen at all, Greene-Garcia from Dark was fantastic, and there are more examples.  But they seem more rare than record puffing squashes - Jade in particular would have benefitted from a few bouts with vets rather than rooks.  Now she's likely only going to be on TV, and with a lot of pressure to be suddenly better and more knowledgable.  I'm also thinking of the talented lower tier (but not exactly ready for prime time) guys like Lee Moriarity and the many teams in that position.  It seems to me that if Moriarity and Garcia matched up or even the case of that match with Greene and Garcia could help generate interest in their eventual TV match.  Not unlike what they did with Sydal and Dante.  More of that.

I have never had any beefs with AEW's win-loss record system, but the sad tweeters looking for anything to complain about for some attention have really exposed the potential opportunity for lame but buzzy grumbling over it.  I always wonder what these curmudgeons are doing in their own community, the real world, to help with diversity.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I don't even know if I'd agree that he was cooled off. He's always been fairly well protected, even in his losses. Cody had to jump off the top of the cage to beat him. Hager had to take him out of his element and into a ruleset he wasn't familiar with to beat him. Jericho had to hit him with a baseball bat to beat him.

Aside from that, there's the loss to Hangman, which like... oh no, he lost to the guy who was always being groomed as an eventual World champion.

Agreed!  I was just giving the OP the benefit of a doubt a little and by "cooled off" I probably meant just not getting a huge push.  I should have said "keeping him under the heating lamp or on those hot dog rollers like at 7-11."  ?  AEW does a damn fine job of keeping those 1/4lb Big Bites ready to go.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Wardlow is like a better Brian Cage to me. He can pull off some nutty stuff that a guy his size shouldn't be able to do, but seems to have some personality and character inside of him as well. He really does feel like an AEW equivilent to 2002 Brock Lesnar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Wardlow is like a better Brian Cage to me. He can pull off some nutty stuff that a guy his size shouldn't be able to do, but seems to have some personality and character inside of him as well. He really does feel like an AEW equivilent to 2002 Brock Lesnar.

You know, if Cage is indeed on his way out, they could have him put Wardlow over soon after his actual turn happens, if they can still get Cage to show up for that!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

You know, if Cage is indeed on his way out, they could have him put Wardlow over soon after his actual turn happens, if they can still get Cage to show up for that!

Nah, they'll have him get squashed by Hook, who will also no sell his finisher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Nah, they'll have him get squashed by Hook, who will also no sell his finisher.

I didn't just book this in TEW last night... ?

Wardlow's obvious comp is Baaauuuwtista. Speaking of, had no idea the finish to the '05 Rumble was a botch because Batista was gassed 'n' sweaty so his hand slipped, ending in a perfect double elimination. I always thought that they were so synched up on the fall that it had to be planned, along with Vince coming out (lol). But nope, the refs adlibbed and Vince came out after sitting in Gorilla for 3+ hours because Teddy and Bisch were too far in the back and they were coming up on the PPV curfew (what's up GCW?). The more you learn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a Gauntlet match of the entire roster being squashed by AEW’s best Hoss, Hook. 

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I didn't just book this in TEW last night... ?

Give me Jiji’s fantasy booking write-ups. Please and thank you!

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Good examples.  I appreciate AEW overall not burning thru matches, but I do sometimes wonder if some of the lower card wouldn't benefit greatly from more competitive one on ones (less local talent squashes), and tags, with their tier contemporaries.  And for some of those matches to lead to a series of matches.  Not to suggest they don't happen at all, Greene-Garcia from Dark was fantastic, and there are more examples.  But they seem more rare than record puffing squashes - Jade in particular would have benefitted from a few bouts with vets rather than rooks.  Now she's likely only going to be on TV, and with a lot of pressure to be suddenly better and more knowledgable.  I'm also thinking of the talented lower tier (but not exactly ready for prime time) guys like Lee Moriarity and the many teams in that position.  It seems to me that if Moriarity and Garcia matched up or even the case of that match with Greene and Garcia could help generate interest in their eventual TV match.  Not unlike what they did with Sydal and Dante.  More of that.

I have never had any beefs with AEW's win-loss record system, but the sad tweeters looking for anything to complain about for some attention have really exposed the potential opportunity for lame but buzzy grumbling over it.  I always wonder what these curmudgeons are doing in their own community, the real world, to help with diversity.    

this discussion highlights one of my pet peeves with AEW. when certain people show up on TV you know they are most likely jobbing (Garcia, Yuta, Acclaimed, Hobbs, Gunn Club) but at the same time we are supposed to take them seriously. Maybe instead of every match having to go through 2 or 3  commercial breaks TK lets some of these folks pick up wins in shorter matches that don't go through a break?

• Like 2