DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Don't think I've ate there unless it was on the road, but I always thought A&W was supposed to be like a Dollar Tree Dairy Queen (where Dairy Queen is kind of a Dollar Tree Sonic... or maybe it's vice versa?).

A&W is a Dollar Tree Stewart's Root Beer.

• Like 2

FYI, I went to Arby's and got the Reuben. It's perfectly fine for a fake Reuben sandwich (because all of their sandwiches are technically imitation, unless you get the pound of roast beef which is too absurd to not have its own category in the lexicon). You go for the curly fries as you heathens well know. Maybe tomorrow I will German suplex a DQ CHICKEN BOX~! And it will Tiger Driver my health... urgh...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Are there any matches of the Bucks you can recall off the top of your head from AEW where this is prevalent? I'd like to go back and re-watch it to see what you're talking about to have a better understanding. 

It's not from AEW, but here is some rock-solid evidence that The Young Bucks have always been primarily interested in getting themselves over as if they were the Road Warriors:

• Haha 7

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The best is Prichard's story about how Vince thought Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki was going to be taller. Did Vince think he was going to be 6'6"? I would like to know how tall Vince pictured him to be.

Sidenote: You people have made me crave Sonic now, and it doesn't help that this the part of the country where there is one every 5 and a half miles.

The very best Vince height story is the one Jericho tells about Vince thinking he could beat up Frank Shamrock, having zero idea who Shamrock was and just based on Shamrock's height.  "I figured I could take the midget."  Fucking size queen imbecile. 

14 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Yes! This! A goose once hissed at me while I was walking back to my car, and I was baffled because I had no idea geese could hiss. I sure sped up how fast I was walking though, because I wasn't about to trifle with a hissing goose.

We have a park with a big lake about a block away and those geese hiss at us like a motherfucker.  All I can do is think about escape plans or whether I could just punt those fuckers if they decide to attack.

8 hours ago, Gordlow said:

It's not from AEW, but here is some rock-solid evidence that The Young Bucks have always been primarily interested in getting themselves over as if they were the Road Warriors:

THANK YOU!  This is the most ponderous part of these anti-Bucks posts.  These guys stooge like their name was Larry Fine.  The Road Warriors ran to the ring, killed dudes, sold nothing, and walked off in like a minute.  I have never seen the Bucks do that.  Their heel psychology is amazing.  My wife tolerates wrestling and isn't into the blood and guts (which, I may remind you, sets the business back 35 years) but she got caught up in the Bucks vs Candace & Joey Guerrilla Warfare match and loved it.  She was listening to music with headphones on and still understood the entire story.  Seriously, heel psychology-wise, they know their shit.

I think a lot of the resentment the Bucks get is because they got over initially by taking the piss with WWE, with all the NWO and Clique gestures and over the top stuff, and then used WWE's cease and desist order to their advantage.  Like deep down, people believe the Bucks made their name off someone else's gimmick and don't deserve to be here.  But I have to tell you, I've watched them for 11 or 12 years and they've improved massively and become excellent professional wrestlers.  You don't get that successful on gimmickry and nothing else.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My new favourite game for Dark and Elevation is to count how many times:

Jade Cargill flexes mid-match

Red Velvet winks on her way to the ring

Skye Blue sticks her tongue out on her way to the ring

Don't turn it into a drinking game or you'll need your stomach pumped.

• Like 2

How bout a new thread for these repetitive redundant Bucks criticisms?  This guy has been working his unwanted hot takes for, what, 2 years now?  Ha, I'm sick of having to sift thru this nonsense for my Dark recommendations/reviews.  Or can we maybe get a monthly AEW Dark thread?

• Like 2

AEW Dark (More like AEW Thunder) 1/11/22

Dean vs Cross: They can probably give Dean a mini push out of all of this. I like the idea that Dean can win a match with just a Superfly Splash in 2021. No tucked knees, no rotations, no nothing. Cross doesn't have a great look but I liked some small things he did in there like how he went down low to reverse the irish whip. They should use him more as an enhancement guy.

Ogogo vs Black: Black's time to shine. I liked how thoroughly Ogogo paid for pulling him up and the diversity and imagination in the arm-based offense. It would have been nice for Ogogo to sell it a bit more when he got back on offense. Maybe struggle a bit more to get the Tower of London on. They need to figure out how to film that fireman's carry/chokeslam a bit better. Something seems off about it as it is. I like Ogogo picking up more moves while still not dropping the boxing thing. We're not entirely looking at Kurt Angle in 2000 never mat wrestling here.

Red Velvet vs Royal: Too short. Needed more singing spots from Royal. That's the next step for her. It's not enough for her to have reaction moments where she does it but she needs to actively work it into spots. Like an abdominal stretch where she torques it more and keeps getting higher and higher with her notes or something. Final Slice remains the best version of the move ever, to the point where they didn't just not cut away from it but showed it from multiple angles afterwards.

Gunn Club vs Kross, T.I.M., Scott: I'm annoyed I wrote the periods out for TIM. This was a minute of antics with Boomer Billy Gunn seemingly loving the nickname for his kids way more than they do. I'm kind of curious if this is going somewhere or just to get some heat. I don't love the Billy stuff with Audrey. I know they work closely together and have fun but it stands out when no one else messes with her like that (she's presented as a referee first and whatever else second as she should be) and it's the 58 year old that does so.

Garcia's promos are good for the same reason his wrestling is good, because he presents himself clearly and directly as his character.

Tay/Jay vs Renegades: I feel like there was a crazy German I forgot to mention on Elevation too, with that same sort of angled side drop. It didn't look all that great, but I liked the idea of the stereo stuff from Tay/Jay. They'll get there with a few more reps of it and it'll be fun and very over.

Cassidy vs Drake: Very good match. Drake is a guy who can both give in to Cassidy's mind games without losing everything but also put him down with one big shot. The lucha ninjas were weird but we'll see where that goes during the year. They were used well to set up moments of vulnerability for Cassidy. I love how much mileage they got out of a bodyslam. I'm on the verge of telling Eric that he and I should just C+A Drake's last couple of years for Segunda Caida.

Martin vs Solo: This ended a little abruptly with me. I sort of agree that the nosedive shouldn't be his finish, but less because he hits it too spectacularly and more because it's just a standing moonsault and there's probably something more impressive and impactful seeming that he and only he on the roster can hit (safely). We'll see what happens in 2022, if he's used more as a tag guy with his brother or Lio. In that setting it's fine, but if he's getting a singles push, I feel like he needs something else. Match itself was fine. Solo is there to base and make the other guy look good and he was fine at that here.

Kingston vs Janela: Battered Eddie is probably the best Eddie and Janela knew what he had here. Which isn't to say he didn't take some big stuff from Eddie as you might expect. I like how Kingston can basically use any move from 90s Japan wrestling as a finisher: Kong's backfist, Kawada's Stretch Plum, Hokuto's Northern Lights Bomb. Etc. Nice use of Rossi throughout. I'll have to rewatch this for Monday.

Rosa vs Fox: Not a lot to say here but Rosa's dropkick to someone's gut while they're in the ropes is one of those moves that I'm not sure how she can get to look so good without killing the person.

Hobbs vs Moss: Moss? Mud is more like it.

Garcia vs Fuego: A your move/my move type match that actually worked. Some of that was because Garcia was constantly pressing forward and they worked in smart counters by Fuego. Quick switches but always in reaction to something so that it never quite felt like just "spots." Great presence and being in the moment by Garcia in the post match where he could see Sammy rushing in (upside-down) because of how he was wrenching the sharpshooter and  he reacted accordingly. Of all of the "Toss into the corner/ropes suplexes, Garcia's double underhook is up there. I don't necessarily think these are being done too much because it's more of a technique thing. Someone found something that worked and everyone's trying it, but I still don't want to see it every match.

Cargill vs Blue: Good showing. These two have wrestled before. Probably the lowest gap in days between real matches for Cargill. The early strength stuff worked well. The finish was very good and quite smooth. These are the sort of matches that Jade needs. More two minute matches than one minute ones, I guess? Work her way up to those four minute ones? I don't know.

Express vs Factory: Wasn't really feeling this one. I didn't love the structure where they treated Comoroto vs Luchasaurus as something special at the end but they had given away too much of it during the match and hadn't protected Comoroto enough. The heat on Jungle Boy was ok. I like how he tries to sneak shots in to fight back. The tag during the dive was pretty spectacular but the match had already broken down by then and once that happens, it's hard to pull it back and probably not even worth trying. I wouldn't say this bodes well for their title run being much better than the Lucha Bros'.

HF(Serpentic)O vs Dark Order/Page: Serpentico is maybe my favorite guy on the roster. So many entertaining moments in this one. the poetry in motion goof, the leaping off the top rope with everyone walking away at the end. The chop goofs on Vance and then Page. The slam of him onto Kassidy as he was getting back that just looked nuts. Him making Vance look better than I've ever seen him on those early suplexes. The big transition when he gave the middle finger and ran around the ring. I didn't think they maximized the moments all the time on things like the hot tag. The fans were clapping up. Angels should have waited another second or two. I would have liked a slightly longer second FIP on Vance too, even if I liked the comeback a lot. Most of what Page does is good and he carries himself like a star relatively, but some things, like having a guy up in power bomb position and flipping him over to hit a forearm (where it's obvious he's in control and it's not a counter being blocked) is dumb. Otherwise, this was an enjoyable six man that got time without having to worry about a commercial break. The heel side did a great job of just really always being at the right place at the right time. I enjoyed this.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

How bout a new thread for these repetitive redundant Bucks criticisms?  This guy has been working his unwanted hot takes for, what, 2 years now?  Ha, I'm sick of having to sift thru this nonsense for my Dark recommendations/reviews.  Or can we maybe get a monthly AEW Dark thread?

I've been considering a similar topic for the Youtube shows.  It could cover Dark, Elevation and the vlogs like BTE.  Not sure if that's worth doing but if there's enough interest I can create one.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I've been considering a similar topic for the Youtube shows.  It could cover Dark, Elevation and the vlogs like BTE.  Not sure if that's worth doing but if there's enough interest I can create one.

We have topics for Dynamite, Rampage so sounds good to me.

• Like 1

Watched Elevation and Dark through the JE/Factory match last night. It was cool to get double doses of Dante Martin (and yeah, he needs to start hitting that finisher farther from the ropes), Skye Blue, and then Hobbs squashing fools (the first guy who looked and posed like he was a 1940s babyface was awesome). The JD Drake/OC match was a highlight for sure, but I didn't actually think that was Avalon and Bononi under the masks and was expecting a SWERVE, probably because I have been reading Dolfan's Wrestlemania lockdown thread. The announcers were really putting over Bowens, and I'm ready for The Acclaimed to get their title run (as was said earlier, this was also probably Caster's best rap not just lyrically but he also really hit a flow). Finally, Kingston and Janela was a stiff brawl.

At this point, Elevation is like a really good WCW Worldwide (my favorite syndicated show) and the last couple of Darks have been excellent WCWSN shows.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

Also, Geese. They looks like dorky birds but are honestly one of the most terrifying animals there is.

15 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Yes! This! A goose once hissed at me while I was walking back to my car, and I was baffled because I had no idea geese could hiss. I sure sped up how fast I was walking though, because I wasn't about to trifle with a hissing goose.

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Geese are assholes.

Yeah, some geese once hissed at my Dad and our first family dog, Tess. Geese suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah going forward I would love a weekly thread for the YT shows.

• Like 4

I just think we need a thread called Wrestling Personalities You Just Don't Like.  In this thread, we can air our grievances, get it off our chests, and nobody is allowed to disagree.  @The Naturalcan talk about Hulk Hogan, I can bring up Jim Ross and Cody, @just drew can say his piece about the Bucks, etc. etc. and then we can move on.  ? 

• Like 5