DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Aren't there stories of College Football players who were expected to be high first  Round draft picks, but then they went to the NFL combine and dropped off, when everyone found out they were three inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than everyone thought?

Yep, it's not that unusual for athletes to get billed at a certain height and weight, then go to the combine and, surprise, they're actually much shorter or lighter.  General thinking is that it gets you on people's radar and that they'll stay interested even once they find out you're 6'7" instead of 6'11".  Similarly, it's not unusual for baseball prospects to lie about their age because once you hit a certain age, you're not much of a prospect anymore.  Teams aren't much interested in a 26-year-old minor leaguer.   So, agents and scouts lie about prospects' ages to get their guys signed and give them time to move up in the minor league system.

I feel like the simple solution for this running argument some of you are having is to admit not everyone likes the same thing, and some people are ok if it doesn't look 100% believable as long as they are entertained.  I saw the new Spider-Man movie for the second time over the weekend.  Trying to figure out all the bits involving the spells gives me a headache and I generally think Peter Parker is a boring whiny with a martyr complex someone needs to slap out of him, but i really enjoyed the movie, so it doesn't really matter.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The best is Prichard's story about how Vince thought Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki was going to be taller. Did Vince think he was going to be 6'6"? I would like to know how tall Vince pictured him to be.

Well, the best height story in the WWE is the company taking an interest in 6'0" Milano Collection A.T. and passing because (allegedly) someone scouted 5'7" Milanito Collection A.T. by mistake and decided he was too short.

But, yeah, the Shinzaki thing is a head-scratcher,  Wiki says Shinzaki is 5'11" so he's not tiny and probably was one of the  tallest (the tallest?) guys in M-Pro.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Double posted. Sry.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I got news for ya, Kyle O'Riely would beat the absolute shit out of Sheamus in a real fight. Muy tai / jujitsu trained athletes are always gonna be able to tie weight lifters up in a pretzel. Sheamus is portrayed as this bar fighting hooligan character. But it's a character. He's a body guy that would gas out quick in a shoot fight setting. I say this as someone who agrees with you and doesn't really like watching O'Riley. I wasn't a fan of Bobby Fish either, until his AEW run. Something about the singles matches he's been working have been clicking for me in a way his matches never used to. But yeah man, Sheamus is built for show not for go. So your eye test is failing you here.

I'm not getting involved with the rest of the ongoing conversation re: size, but I do wanna quote you here because I agree so big on Fish. He's really clicked for me too. If hes had a better singles match than the Sammy match, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it's nothing I've seen (though admittedly, I was never the hugest ROH guy). I think a change of scenery will be good for both of those guys in the long run.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Well, the best height story in the WWE is the company taking an interest in 6'0" Milano Collection A.T. and passing because (allegedly) someone scouted 5'7" Milanito Collection A.T. by mistake and decided he was too short.

But, yeah, the Shinzaki thing is a head-scratcher,  Wiki says Shinzaki is 5'11" so he's not tiny and probably was one of the  tallest (the tallest?) guys in M-Pro.

The fact Bruce never gave the height Vince thought he was makes me think Vince thought he was in the range of 6'2"-6'3", and Bruce knew that definitely was a bad guess.

Either way, it sucks because that appears to be the crux of why he never got pushed after his program with Bret. He has one awesome match with Bret and then it's hanging out with Barry Horowitz to learn American culture and Jobber City.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Andrade has to be the new wrestler that when you see his name posted next to yours you instantly cower in fear.

AZM has been using this for 2-3 years now. Its nice to see someone actually winning matches with it.

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

AZM has been using this for 2-3 years now. Its nice to see someone actually winning matches with it.

I know this should go in the Stardom thread but holy shit what was with Momo punting AZM in the head like that? I stopped watching Stardom after Hana's death for the most part... I'm guessing that's Momo going extra evil against QQ? 

That submission is a huge, huge improvement over the hammerlock DDT for Andrade. It looked even more brutal on last week's dark or elevation. Andrade thinking Darby's a child (mocking him for being child-like) is a little silly for a guy that should be moving up to the main event. Dude was on twitter asking for new Los Ingos and I think his cool rich character could really be helped by Roosh's intensity. Dragon Lee is a freak, so would love to see him in AEW tearing it up with the other people that have no regard for their well being. 

edit: (yes i will keep repeating Rush and Dragon Lee in AEW in attempt to manifest it into reality, like the Ben Simmons to Portland trade)

Edited by Jiji

I feel like I read something recently about Dragon Lee still having heat regarding the Hiromu injury with certain someone(s) backstage at AEW who were on that show (that being the EVPs and Hangman). Not sure how true that is, but it’s out there.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I know this should go in the Stardom thread but holy shit what was with Momo punting AZM in the head like that? I stopped watching Stardom after Hana's death for the most part... I'm guessing that's Momo going extra evil against QQ? 

Haven't caught the match yet since I wait for full shows to be up for the most part, but I recall Momo not really pulling back when she punted Syuri during their SWA match and GP Final when she had Syuri in the tree of woe. With the AZM it probably was to be extra evil though I imagine it went farther than intended.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Andrade thinking Darby's a child (mocking him for being child-like) is a little silly for a guy that should be moving up to the main event.

That’s been my favorite part about him leveling up. He’s become more confident on the mic, and is actually playing a character, and not just a guy spouting lines anymore.

I live near Doral. Rich Latin Americans talking with a dumb bravado is extremely common. If that’s what he’s going for, then he’s nailing it.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Whenever I see smaller guys in wrestling bow up to bigger guys, I just think of those really tiny dogs that are mean as heck. Like my friend's chihuahua that bit me once and required a couple of stitches. Sometimes the smallest ones are the meanest. C'est la vie.

And speaking as someone who is six feet tall (or thereabouts, and even taller depending on what shoes I wear!), I suppose I have the credibility to say that.

25 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Whenever I see smaller guys in wrestling bow up to bigger guys, I just think of those really tiny dogs that are mean as heck. Like my friend's chihuahua that bit me once and required a couple of stitches. Sometimes the smallest ones are the meanest. C'est la vie.

And speaking as someone who is six feet tall (or thereabouts, and even taller depending on what shoes I wear!), I suppose I have the credibility to say that.

Also, Geese. They looks like dorky birds but are honestly one of the most terrifying animals there is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

Also, Geese. They looks like dorky birds but are honestly one of the most terrifying animals there is.

Yes! This! A goose once hissed at me while I was walking back to my car, and I was baffled because I had no idea geese could hiss. I sure sped up how fast I was walking though, because I wasn't about to trifle with a hissing goose.

10 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Yes! This! A goose once hissed at me while I was walking back to my car, and I was baffled because I had no idea geese could hiss. I sure sped up how fast I was walking though, because I wasn't about to trifle with a hissing goose.

I’m glad you made it out of there safely.

So @just drew, just look at Matt Jackson as a goose and Nick Jackson as @Stefanie the Human’s friend’s chihuahua and you should start to see the appeal.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Hook is one of those big fluffy cats, that lies about all day doing nothing, but when he sees the big dog take his spot on the sofa he walks up to the dog and stares and the dog just moves.

I think we could probably sum up Hook with something I saw the other day.

Dante needs to stop doing the Nosedive(double springboard moonsault). Two times in one week where he swung too close into the ropes. He’s going to “Kidman” himself one day with that.

Maybe do the moonsault further away from the corner.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Man, Dark felt a lot like an episode of WCW Saturday Night.  Good main event with Isiah Kassidy screaming like a little girl!  Serpentico is the best wrestler in AEW?  Daniel Garcia was awesome leaning into the Scorpion Deathlock on Fuego.  QT Marshall and Nick Cammorano were very much a nouvelle Texas Hangmen. That rocked. And a lot of squashes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

JD Drake vs Orangey Boy was a GREAT YouTube match! I loved everything about it, from the Wingmen in disguise working as goons, to the (apt) Rayo de Jalisco reference, to Orange folding to the mat after a single big chop, to the sublime bodyslam based storytelling. You can have your Danielson vs Page and Nakajimmy vs Go matches. Give me more Drake vs Orange!! The only things keeping me from recommending it for the list was that JD's heel heat couldn't match Cassidy's massive face pops, presumably because the big man is just too lovable, and that I wish they'd go back to Drake's original Dick Murdoch style ring gear which was perfect for him. On the other hand, the way Orange sold for the ring rope ricochet strike on the outside, and the way he got all fired up after finally hitting the slam were perfect YouTube pro wrestling.

I'm also loving Powerhouse just Road Warrior squashing dudes and using the torture rack as his finisher. 

And Fuego vs Garcia was an excellent, all-action set-up for the Sammy title match.

And: JB making the tag while diving out of the ring!!!

I also liked that: 

Spoiler

None of the "eliminator" matches led to title shots. It sets it up for it to feel like a bigger deal when somebody does win one. It also contribute to keeping future "Riho vs DMD" level eliminator matches from feeling like too much of a foregone conclusion. 

Supremely enjoyable show overall. 102 minutes just flew by.

Edited by Gordlow
102 > 90
  • Like 6

One of the things I really liked about Riho is that she works her size into her matches by being quick, agile, "you can't catch me". Minus one time she did a forarm exchange with  Stratlander. I would be more into the Bucks if they worked more like this or worked more cheating into their matches and less get hit and pop up to hit their stuff.

• Like 3