DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

It's not like anyone who doesn't or can't pitch or come up with a good story won't get pushed, either. Apparently Ricky Starks, MJF, Britt Baker and... Jungle Boy? (I can't remember the fourth person) are infamous backstage for absolutely sucking at pitching angles and stories. But they still get pushed and have stories made for them, whether it's from those in charge, or other people involving them. I'm sure it's not 100% up to the talent to come up with angles, because TK is a fucking nerd and has been fantasy booking for decades, so I'm sure he acts as a sort of creative type as well (along with the EVPs, I'd imagine).

Also, in looking up black female wrestlers (because honestly, I struggle to think of a lot that aren't signed to WWE/Impact/NWA) - I discovered that Nomble (played by Janeshia Adams-Ginyard), one of the Dora Milaje from the Black Panther movie (and Falcon & Winter Soldier), is also a pro wrestler. That's cool. But anyway, maybe some more indie savy folks can recommend black female wrestlers, since outside of Trisha Adora, Willow Nightingale, and Brooke Valentine, I'm drawing a blank. I would have mentioned Faye Jackson, but she retired I believe. And full disclosure, I only know about Willow, Brooke and Faye because of Allie Kat(ch)'s Real Hot Girl Shit from 2020 and 2021.

10 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm quoting just this one talking point to clarify something that I think is getting passed over by all of us. From day one AEW has been positioned as traditional pro wrestling. They are purposely doing wrestling like it was done before WWE went overly scripted with a ton of writers. This looser structure is by design. They didn't make a mistake in doing it this way. They made a specific choice to do it this way. If those parameters are not what you are suited for, then you should at least be aware that you're not going to excel as much as people who are suited for that.

Like I'd never say you knew that ahead of time, don't sign with them. By all means, sign with them and get that money. Try your best to grow into someone that can thrive under that. But it's a bit much to expect the entire company structure to change, when that structure it's self is one of the biggest selling points for the audience. AEW has kind of been saying 'Hey do you enjoy the promos of Dusty, & Piper, & Flair more than you enjoy some dipshit scripting Roman to say suffering succotash? Then AEW is for you, we don't script a performer's promos and never will.'

The AEW structure is never going to change. And if she would thrive under tighter structure, she should work towards getting signed by WWE. Who knows she may be able to be a gigantic star under the right circumstances for her. But to call AEW out for needing a change of structure to more suit what she wants out of wrestling and to dismiss the fact that it is openly one of their drawing points is... really short sighted. Not critiquing anything else she's saying. But just to expect them to be something they have beat their chest about never being... is a weird thing to be critical of. It may not be the best structure for Swole personally, but that loose structure is absolutely a majoring drawing factor for the target audience.

Fair enough. But I don't think she was framing it as a personal problem so much as some firmer guidelines need to be in place for younger/less experienced wrestlers who haven't yet developed the skills of how to pitch ideas or know how to get themselves on TV.  Because while many fans may enjoy the carefree approach, I can see where it would be tough sledding for a new wrestler, unless they have a mentorship-type setup to help them navigate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVA said:

That was the weirdest thing Swole said, to me. Wrestling is first and foremost a business of self-promotion. A wrestler who cannot come up with creative ideas to promote themselves should not expect to be very successful. That’s not an AEW problem, that’s a you problem.

I mean isn't one of thing people have constantly shit on WWE for is creative has nothing for you? Not sure why that should be a different with AEW. 

43 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Facts, the World title picture has been the best thing about the company overall because it seems to be so carefully booked and it isn't defended so much. I think the main reason Danielson vs Hangman Draw got criticism was because Page didn't get atleast 1 clean victory beforehand but understanding the booking pattern of the title it makes sense.

I said it before, AEW is still educating its audience with their booking patterns and I think they need to stay on it.

Jade Cargill winning the TBS title should be a cool moment but it's a secondary title in a division that is very underwhelming. When AEW started up, I assumed that they would skate by WWE and Impacts women's division but now especially with Omega being such a Joshi fan

I thought they were going to have to rely heavily on joshis and projects, due to WWE and Impact having most of the best Western women.  They've actually done a bit better than I expected, though I still think they should have done more with Shida's reign.

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Fair enough. But I don't think she was framing it as a personal problem so much as some firmer guidelines need to be in place for younger/less experienced wrestlers who haven't yet developed the skills of how to pitch ideas or know how to get themselves on TV.  Because while many fans may enjoy the carefree approach, I can see where it would be tough sledding for a new wrestler, unless they have a mentorship-type setup to help them navigate.

I'm kind of confused by this response. There's a booker. It's Tony Kahn. The EVPs of Cody, Kenny, & The Bucks also pitch ideas. Jericho is very hands on with his own stuff yes, but has also been known to pitch ideas for other stories. That's how stories get developed. All talent have input in their own stories, in that they can pitch tweaks or ask for changes or pitch different ideas. But Tony Kahn is the show runner. He creates the narratives and the stories, with input from all those sources. That's how pro wrestling works. That's how pro wrestling has worked for 100 years. WWE has changed that formula in the past 15 years or so. But they are the exception, not the rule.

Whether a specific performer is shy or has no ideas to pitch is kind of a moot point. You're a performer. If you can't come up with ideas for yourself, the booker can. Your job is to take the paint you get handed and paint the picture the way you see it between the ropes. She wasn't hired to be a TV writer. She wasn't hired under the guise of needing to come up with her own stories. She was hired to be a wrestler. And pitching ideas for yourself is not even one of the top five most important skills of being a wrestler.

I just don't understand this talking point or how it's relevant to being a wrestler. You really think The Bunny is the one writing the heels using the brass knucks story for her & Penelope? Or that Hangman is the one writing Bryan running through the Dark Order before wrestling page? Maybe they pitch tweaks. But they are wrestlers. Their job is to wrestle and try and hype up the times they are going to wrestle with their words. Being shy or too inexperienced to pitch story ideas has absolutely nothing to do with the job she was hired for.

It's a bummer to me too. Because I actually really liked what she portrayed. Her whole aura and look and music and presentation I thought was good. She was doing a good job getting that character over. I just think the health issues slowed down her progression and she got frustrated with having to work her way back up again since losing the momentum. It's understandable. But being shy or not having story ideas is not why she wasn't getting on TV.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

First, you're diagnosing Tony as on the spectrum. You have no clue about that. Even if he is, that doesn't excuse his social media boo-hoo (which he does often BTW), because he knew he find like-minded fans who would validate him. Tony Khan is 39 years old with endless financial resources. He has a multitude of options to have approached this like a professional AND functioning adult. He chose otherwise. The pacifying of grown men to justify bad behavior is disgusting. I don't care that he used to post around here and some of you think he's cool. He's being a jerk in this situation.

Second, you're trying to rationalize this with your White male eyes. Which happens a lot on wrestling. And you did mention that, so points for self-awareness. But I wonder if one day, you and others will ever listen to a Black woman's perspective on such topics. To this point--and I've been here for years--the answer has been no. 

But I'll give part of my take here, all the same:

Swole gave her opinions and feelings on certain things in AEW. There are valid, regardless of whether you think she's a bad wrestler. At no point did she personally attack Tony. She came closer to insulting Brandi on the 'no Black voices in upper management' bit. But after seeing some of her promos, I can't imagine Swole and Brandi seeing eye-to-eye on much.

The idea that some are suggesting--that Swole shouldn't have aired her troubles publicly--is a laugh considering how many salivate at Talk is Jericho or Renee Paquette 'wrestler tells all' shows and shoot interviews in previous years. Just because you don't agree or think she stinks at her job doesn't make her feelings lesser than or means she should be quiet to play nice. But you seem to be leaning that way because you're not giving her POV value.

In essence, what Swole said is 1) AEW needs to improve in overall respresentation and giving women the same chances as men, 2) There needs to be more structure from a creative standpoint to help younger wrestlers or those new to TV who may need more help with the process, 3) The time AEW has for its shows needs to be better arranged to give wrestlers meaningful matches, and 4) AEW is a solid promotion and wishing them well. You would think she spit on someone's grave by some of the reactions. And as a Black woman who's watched and talked about wrestling for a while, I've seen those same statements from others. She's not alone in thinking this way. But I can't help but ask if her being a Black woman with the audacity to speak her peace out loud is the issue here.

Again, I point to you saying she's bad at her job. So what? What does that have to do with what she's speaking about? She didn't even frame the conversation around herself. She was talking about AEW's environment as a whole. But you--and many more--have used the moment to belittle what you think is her lack of wrestling abilities and ignore her concerns. You decided that what she said has no value because you don't like how she does a headlock or cuts a promo. You, along with Tony, make it personal instead of tackling the real issues she mentioned.

And why is that? Because you don't know how? Or you simply don't want to know? 

Until you and others can put down your bias and tendency to downplay others whose voice doesn't amplify yours, we'll keep having conversations like this where we point fingers and nothing worth holding is accomplished. And we'll accuse each other of things that aren't true and we'll get mad but then make up and play nice until the cycle begins again. Frankly, the bicycle is on flats and I'm tired of pedaling for those who say they listen and care and appreciate my take but show otherwise. That's not against you directly, just me saying my peace out loud.

So, I want to thank you for a well thought out, measured response. I'm sure it must feel like the onus to be measured and well thought out is always on you, and I want to acknowledge that beforehand.

I wouldn't say I know nothing about Tony Khan being on the spectrum. I'm on the spectrum. It hasn't kept me from living a fulfilling, "normal" life, but there are limitations in my ability to deal with social situations that are easy to recognize in others. You're 100% right. I don't know for a fact that TK is on the spectrum. If he isn't, given his behavior in certain situations, it's almost like he's pretending to be. I never meant to imply that being ASD should excuse TK or anyone from shitty behavior. I will point out that it feels like a bit of a double standard for you to tell me I know nothing about the Spectrum and then later on your post saying "as a black woman" when making a point.

From day 1, one of the selling points for both potential incoming talent AND potential viewers regarding AEW was "no writers." From what's been said publicly/what one can observe, it appears there's far more structure than originally intended. And that's a good thing. I would suggest that If Swole is uncomfortable pitching ideas for her character or stories, that the issue is just as much with her as with anyone else. Wrestling has always been a business meant for relentless self promoters. Some people are able to navigate the business despite not being wired that way. A lot more are not.

I had the most trouble with Swole stating that her daughter said "no one on the show looks like me" when Jade Cargill and Red Velvet are on TV consistently, and many more women of color are on Dark and Elevation. I'd also take some exception to her saying women need more tv time in meaningful angles on the same day four women bled buckets paying off a nine month long angle that spanned all four of AEW's programs. There was a time when that complaint was valid. I look at Deeb/Shida, Thunder Rosa being given the time she's been given, the presentation of Ruby Soho, and the ascension of Conti & Anna Jay as evidence that AEW has made great strides in how they present women on their programming. 

If you go back a couple pages in the Purge thread, I stated explicitly that I thought AEW has some representation issues. I think that's still true, though I watch guys like Lee Moriarty and Dante Martin with a lot of hope for the future. I Think Keith Lee and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott should be at the top of Tony's "to do" list, and it bugs me that Adam Cole and his buddies seem to be the higher priority. But I refuse to fall into the trap of thinking everything Swole said is true simply because she said so. 

I can only judge things based on how they appear. I have no inside knowledge as to the inner workings of AEW, its corporate structure or who TK listens to. From the outside, it appears that efforts to seek out and present black and female talent have ramped up significantly. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Do I think it would behoove TK to snap up guys like Keith Lee and Swerve Scott and make them centerpieces? 100%. Maybe the notion that my instinct to judge based on what I see rather than what I'm told is in and of itself privilege. That's entirely possible. 

I should not have brought up Swole not being a particularly gifted worker or promo. It's immaterial to this conversation other than that I believe that was the basis for her topping out at a certain level. Apologies for that.

• Like 6

So I saw Lio Rush's response to this whole thing and that has led me to wonder where he has been? Has there been any follow-up between him and Dante since the battle royal? I don't watch the youtube shows and I missed one or 2 of the main shows since then, so I'm wondering if I missed something. Because the story as it looks to me is that Dante really did dump him for Team Taz but then changed his mind during the battle royal. I thought for sure he was going to 2nd Dante during the match against MJF

• Like 1

It feels weird to talk about which POC they should sign, but out of everyone out there, Keith Lee, Ember Moon, Mia Yim, and Swerve are the absolute best available. I'm sorry, but I don't think fuck all will ever happen with Lee Moriarty or Shawn Dean or the other guy in the Nightmare Family. They're all bland as hell, lack personality,  and are completely interchangeable with a bunch of other people on Dark. They're people I would think of that would just be in random matches on WCW Saturday Night. The people I mentioned are practically dripping with personality and charisma and they can all work their asses off. The main problem then is, who are they pushing off of tv? They don't need this large of a roster and I know there is a thought that having too much talent is a good problem to have, but damn, you could probably cut this roster in half and be ok. 

And then aside from all of that, put more women's matches on Dynamite. I watched that match from Rampage and it was fucking outstanding and there's no real reason to not put that on Dynamite. Dynamite should at least feature 2 to 3 women's matches per episode. Not every match needs to have a commercial break in the middle of it. 2 minutes is way too short for a match, but you could do 6 to 10 minutes and be fine. That applies to the men's matches as well. 

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dynamite should at least feature 2 to 3 women's matches per episode. Not every match needs to have a commercial break in the middle of it. 2 minutes is way too short for a match, but you could do 6 to 10 minutes and be fine. That applies to the men's matches as well. 

This highlights an issue I've brought up before. But AEW has a super rigid format. Dynamite has never exceeded 6 matches total, ever. (Maybe once or twice but only by way of one extra squash match). Sure it's good to have a format and a formula. But at a certain point it becomes a detriment. By loosening the restrictions of the format you could fit a lot more things in. I looked it up at one point and Nitro averaged 8-10 matches per 2 hour episode. And sometimes hit as high as 12 matches. Now I know AEW gives their matches more time because in ring work is more important than it used to be. But if they switched it up every few weeks you could fit a lot more women's matches on. Showcase a lot more of the tag division. Some low tier feuds from Dark could get a blowoff on the main show occasionally. Just once every six weeks or so spice it up with less pretape promos and more quick matches. That's all.

As is, if they stick to only 5 or 6 matches per Dynamite it's a little hard to see them ever hitting 3 women's matches on a single episode.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It feels weird to talk about which POC they should sign, but out of everyone out there, Keith Lee, Ember Moon, Mia Yim, and Swerve are the absolute best available. I'm sorry, but I don't think fuck all will ever happen with Lee Moriarty or Shawn Dean or the other guy in the Nightmare Family. They're all bland as hell, lack personality,  and are completely interchangeable with a bunch of other people on Dark. They're people I would think of that would just be in random matches on WCW Saturday Night. The people I mentioned are practically dripping with personality and charisma and they can all work their asses off. The main problem then is, who are they pushing off of tv? They don't need this large of a roster and I know there is a thought that having too much talent is a good problem to have, but damn, you could probably cut this roster in half and be ok. 

And then aside from all of that, put more women's matches on Dynamite. I watched that match from Rampage and it was fucking outstanding and there's no real reason to not put that on Dynamite. Dynamite should at least feature 2 to 3 women's matches per episode. Not every match needs to have a commercial break in the middle of it. 2 minutes is way too short for a match, but you could do 6 to 10 minutes and be fine. That applies to the men's matches as well. 

Tony Nese. Dan Lambert. The Young Bucks (I know I’m in the minority on that, but they chew up waaay too much tv). 

The UE guys don’t need to be the focal point of every show. 

It feels like ages ago people were saying not signing Mercedes Martinez was a huge mistake and yet she was able to have a WWE run and still somehow end up back in AEW.

This ain't the Monday Night Wars by most metrics but the talent turnover might intersect with similar developments that happened during the Monday Night Wars despite people having longer deals. That's not exactly going to lead to the focus you need to have a better product let alone keeping up with the representation shown. Serving too many masters.

Scary thing is I think TK, Brandi, and some of the others behind the scenes know that, but are trying to see if they get all the big names they can and make it work in their favor.

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This highlights an issue I've brought up before. But AEW has a super rigid format. Dynamite has never exceeded 6 matches total, ever. (Maybe once or twice but only by way of one extra squash match). Sure it's good to have a format and a formula. But at a certain point it becomes a detriment. By loosening the restrictions of the format you could fit a lot more things in. I looked it up at one point and Nitro averaged 8-10 matches per 2 hour episode. And sometimes hit as high as 12 matches. Now I know AEW gives their matches more time because in ring work is more important than it used to be. But if they switched it up every few weeks you could fit a lot more women's matches on. Showcase a lot more of the tag division. Some low tier feuds from Dark could get a blowoff on the main show occasionally. Just once every six weeks or so spice it up with less pretape promos and more quick matches. That's all.

There were definite weeks where Nitro was straight up bringing Saturday Night talent to get squashed, and AEW has had Dynamite’s like this. Them dropping a squash heavy show about four weeks before a PPV would do them some good.

They do have different formulas for different weeks between PPV’s. One episode has the free PPV formula, another is the angle heavy episode, so on, and so forth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

So, I want to thank you for a well thought out, measured response. I'm sure it must feel like the onus to be measured and well thought out is always on you, and I want to acknowledge that beforehand.

I wouldn't say I know nothing about Tony Khan being on the spectrum. I'm on the spectrum. It hasn't kept me from living a fulfilling, "normal" life, but there are limitations in my ability to deal with social situations that are easy to recognize in others. You're 100% right. I don't know for a fact that TK is on the spectrum. If he isn't, given his behavior in certain situations, it's almost like he's pretending to be. I never meant to imply that being ASD should excuse TK or anyone from shitty behavior. I will point out that it feels like a bit of a double standard for you to tell me I know nothing about the Spectrum and then later on your post saying "as a black woman" when making a point.

From day 1, one of the selling points for both potential incoming talent AND potential viewers regarding AEW was "no writers." From what's been said publicly/what one can observe, it appears there's far more structure than originally intended. And that's a good thing. I would suggest that If Swole is uncomfortable pitching ideas for her character or stories, that the issue is just as much with her as with anyone else. Wrestling has always been a business meant for relentless self promoters. Some people are able to navigate the business despite not being wired that way. A lot more are not.

I had the most trouble with Swole stating that her daughter said "no one on the show looks like me" when Jade Cargill and Red Velvet are on TV consistently, and many more women of color are on Dark and Elevation. I'd also take some exception to her saying women need more tv time in meaningful angles on the same day four women bled buckets paying off a nine month long angle that spanned all four of AEW's programs. There was a time when that complaint was valid. I look at Deeb/Shida, Thunder Rosa being given the time she's been given, the presentation of Ruby Soho, and the ascension of Conti & Anna Jay as evidence that AEW has made great strides in how they present women on their programming. 

If you go back a couple pages in the Purge thread, I stated explicitly that I thought AEW has some representation issues. I think that's still true, though I watch guys like Lee Moriarty and Dante Martin with a lot of hope for the future. I Think Keith Lee and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott should be at the top of Tony's "to do" list, and it bugs me that Adam Cole and his buddies seem to be the higher priority. But I refuse to fall into the trap of thinking everything Swole said is true simply because she said so. 

I can only judge things based on how they appear. I have no inside knowledge as to the inner workings of AEW, its corporate structure or who TK listens to. From the outside, it appears that efforts to seek out and present black and female talent have ramped up significantly. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Do I think it would behoove TK to snap up guys like Keith Lee and Swerve Scott and make them centerpieces? 100%. Maybe the notion that my instinct to judge based on what I see rather than what I'm told is in and of itself privilege. That's entirely possible. 

I should not have brought up Swole not being a particularly gifted worker or promo. It's immaterial to this conversation other than that I believe that was the basis for her topping out at a certain level. Apologies for that.

I actually think Swole’s lack of pro wrestling talent is relevant, in that her comments seemed to be self-serving excuses for her own short comings.

There is no pro wrestling company that can structure her into being a good wrestler than can talk people into buying a ppv to see her wrestle. If she wants to do that she’ll have to actually recognize her weaknesses and work on improving.

In terms of development, AEW often uses BTE to let lesser known talent try out things and connect with the audience on a smaller stage that “doesn’t count.” It worked with the Dark Order after they looked to be dead in the water, for example. I recall the Young Bucks giving her a segment on BTE for a while but it was not good.

And while Tony Khan’s tweet was clearly not the right move (even if what he said is true), I don’t think people are being sympathetic enough to how insulting it might have been for him to essentially have his own personal experience growing up as a non-white person in America dismissed like that.

Personally, I could see how that would upset him (and how that would lead to him firing back like that). Especially, since as a nerdy and awkward guy growing up in the 90’s he probably endured his fair share of bullying/mean comments about his ethnicity. 

• Like 5

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Keith Lee and Powerhouse Hobbs tearing up the tag division would be a treat.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They do have different formulas for different weeks between PPV’s. One episode has the free PPV formula, another is the angle heavy episode, so on, and so forth.

And none of those formulas ever surpass 6 matches on an episode. That's what I'm saying would benefit them. Throw in a 9 match episode once and awhile.

Khan’s tweet is fine. Bullshit should be called out for bullshit on a public platform & not indulged. Swole was forgettable mediocrity: AEW may have had flaws but no evidence that diversity has been one of them:

I do not beat around the bush when it comes to diversity and my people,” she said. “There is no representation, truly, and when there is, it does not come across in the black community as genuine, at all.”

To be so categorical while they’ve literally pushed Jade as strong as any other act in the company (and rightly so - she’s great) is simply a clown-look. Talent disappearing for weeks is a company-problem not a diversity-problem: they’ve mismanaged numerous title reigns & angle blow-offs irrespective of the gender or ethnicity of the talent concerned.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And none of those formulas ever surpass 6 matches on an episode. That's what I'm saying would benefit them. Throw in a 9 match episode once and awhile.

It’s possible… The way to do it would be to only have one match that goes to picture, and picture. Nitro did it super weird looking back. Most of the longest matches would be with the most unlikeliest of people. 

A reason why you might not want to do 10 matches a show is the fear of repeating too many matches. Nitro tended to do that a lot.

33 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I actually think Swole’s lack of pro wrestling talent is relevant, in that her comments seemed to be self-serving excuses for her own short comings.

There is no pro wrestling company that can structure her into being a good wrestler than can talk people into buying a ppv to see her wrestle. If she wants to do that she’ll have to actually recognize her weaknesses and work on improving.

In terms of development, AEW often uses BTE to let lesser known talent try out things and connect with the audience on a smaller stage that “doesn’t count.” It worked with the Dark Order after they looked to be dead in the water, for example. I recall the Young Bucks giving her a segment on BTE for a while but it was not good.

And while Tony Khan’s tweet was clearly not the right move (even if what he said is true), I don’t think people are being sympathetic enough to how insulting it might have been for him to essentially have his own personal experience growing up as a non-white person in America dismissed like that.

Personally, I could see how that would upset him (and how that would lead to him firing back like that). Especially, since as a nerdy and awkward guy growing up in the 90’s he probably endured his fair share of bullying/mean comments about his ethnicity. 

So we supposed to be sympathetic to Tony even though he's doing the exact same thing to a black woman?

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

A reason why you might not want to do 10 matches a show is the fear of repeating too many matches. Nitro tended to do that a lot.

Right. I'm not saying jump to 10 matches every week and burn through all your pairings. I'm saying randomize it a little more. Do a 5 match episode. Then a 9 match episode. That's a way to get more people cycled in more often. Seriously look up the results if you don't believe me. It goes something like 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6 over the past 3 months. It's very rigid and they do not deviate from it. People are wanting more than one women's match per Dynamite episode. It's not gonna happen if they don't switch it up every so often.

14 minutes ago, A_K said:

Khan’s tweet is fine. Bullshit should be called out for bullshit on a public platform & not indulged. Swole was forgettable mediocrity: AEW may have had flaws but no evidence that diversity has been one of them:

I do not beat around the bush when it comes to diversity and my people,” she said. “There is no representation, truly, and when there is, it does not come across in the black community as genuine, at all.”

To be so categorical while they’ve literally pushed Jade as strong as any other act in the company (and rightly so - she’s great) is simply a clown-look. Talent disappearing for weeks is a company-problem not a diversity-problem: they’ve mismanaged numerous title reigns & angle blow-offs irrespective of the gender or ethnicity of the talent concerned.

Jade is literally the only black act in AEW that has a consistent push and/or gets TV time regularly. The Acclaimed are the only other act you could somewhat make a case for, but they usually lose any time they have a match on TV.

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Right. I'm not saying jump to 10 matches every week and burn through all your pairings. I'm saying randomize it a little more. Do a 5 match episode. Then a 9 match episode. That's a way to get more people cycled in more often. Seriously look up the results if you don't believe me. It goes something like 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6 over the past 3 months. It's very rigid and they do not deviate from it. People are wanting more than one women's match per Dynamite episode. It's not gonna happen if they don't switch it up every so often.

It would have to be the episodes that don’t have a Rampage taping. Because remember they tape Dark: Elevation, Dynamite, and then Rampage.

• Like 1

That's a very good point. Their taping schedule is a mess in my opinion. I know it increases costs exponentially to tape them separate. But they won't be able to overcome a lot of the criticisms keeping them how they're done. Dynamite should be a stand alone taping. Rampage and Elevation should be taped on the same night. Yes it costs more. But the crowd reaction / freedom to loosen up the formula would fix a lot of the television product inconsistencies. Dark should continue to be once every two months at a sound stage separate from the rest of the company.

Book the same building two nights in a row. You can still tape Rampage. Just do it on a Thursday. They are kind of cannibalizing the A show for the sake of saving costs on travel and all that to have a B show. I don't own a national tv wrestling company, so this is all just me pontificating into the void. But to me that makes the most sense. Dynamite live Wednesday. Keep all the talent over night. Tape Elevation & Rampage Thursday nights. The houses will be lighter for that second night, but that's okay in the long run. (And it conflicts with The NFL, but that's a first world problem Mr Owner of Too Many Professional Sports Franchises lol).