DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Khan either needs to get his phone taken away from him, or he needs to stop day drinking.

Or that App from that Google movie, The Interns, that asked you questions that decided whether you are sober enough to be sending any messages at all!

I agree with alot of these old-school guys, ton many of the people of the current era really can't help themselves on social media. You barely ever see Roman Reigns respond to criticism on Twitter. You barely see him post on Twitter outnof character in general. Roman could care less what the internet thinks about him and I think that's his personality in general. It would make him seem like a lot less of a top guy if he responded to random people's criticism. 

That Sammy and Tay Conti  post from earlier is another example of how guys today can't help themselves. Like just days ago they basically complaining about fans jumping to conclusions and getting into their personal lives then you post a picture confirming what most people assumed was true. I could care less about their situation but like don't expect fans to react diplomatic on social media just because you want to post every life event just like every other person.

• Like 5

A few people are so focused on producing content out of the ring, when they should be focusing more on inside the ring. I know if I were an AEW wrestler I would be obsessed with whatever my next match or angle was to 100% get the most out of it. I know people want to make money doing other things too, but the best way to do that is to heighten your profile doing what you're best known for already. WRESTLING.

Edited by Leonidas

There was no animosity at the time she was released. Swole did an interview in which (possibly, the interviewer baited her) she gave voice to her concerns, and Khan took it personally. 

Spoiler

FH-B4DoXIAEYWns?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FH-CDzqWQAYN7Tz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FH-CWKLXwAEta_5?format=jpg&name=large

As a person of color (not African American) a see a pretty diverse roster. Be it African American, Asian, or Latinx. AEW is a new company, and a company that has to make $$$ and ratings right now, while at the same time plant seeds for future success. For current success, TK and Co. had to focus on proven talent to be their featured characters....and one of the reasons is that there weren't that many POC takent available to be signed that you could really stack up against the Omegas, Codys, Jerichos, Bucks, etc. available (with all due respect). But at the same time, in the coming years I definitely see that changing. Jade will be a star. They put alot of shine on Red Velvet. Hobbs could be huge. Dante has star written all over him. The Acclaimed could blow up and they could have 2 breakout stars from that team. 

People signed to AEW knowing what the "structure" would be. TK is in charge. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, you don't have to sign. 

• Like 2

Man...no one is even talking about this if TK didn't say a thing or said something like, "she is entitled to her opinion and I'm sorry she feels that way. AEW does have a diverse roster and we continue giving opportunities to all POC."

I mean, I think what Swole said is dumb and I have always thought she sucked. I'm just a dude on the internet though. When you're the owner of the company and the former employer of Swole, you shouldn't say that shit. I get some people will think why not I'd it's the truth and the why not is, well, look at what it caused. It's a case of you're not wrong, you're just an asshole. 

• Like 4

Meh. Hobbs and Starks are criminally underutilized in this promotion for starters. They have a great look, Starks is a solid promo and they can both wrestle. They were getting over too. There's a reason Punk name dropped them and then wanted a match with Hobbs. They go missing from Dynamite weeks at a time. 

Red Velvet is another underutilized talent, she botched some moonsaults but so what, if that's a prerequisite for TV time then Charlotte should be on Main Event. Red Velvet and Jade have great chemistry together, Red has pulled the very best out of Jade, no reason they can't find something for her to do outside of standing around with the Nightmare Family as Cody rants about how he should be loved more.

• Like 1

Tony doing what dumb billionaires do on Twitter doesn’t surprise me. He made a minor story into a major one. I don’t think the lack of diversity criticism really rings true, but there is obviously room to get better as the company gets bigger. 

Switching gears here I did find the structure comments interesting. Not many out there wishing there were MORE writers. I get the point she was trying to make, but I do generally enjoy the sink or swim approach to promo cutting in AEW. Seems to be a pretty great way to separate yourself if you have the talent. 

She isn’t wrong about the lack of diversity when it comes to black wrestlers. They have ‘em but they aren’t utilizing them more in a bigger prominent spot. Sonny Kiss for one should be on TV. She’s gotten so much better. No reason she shouldn’t be in these multi-tags trying to get over doing crazy spots.

”The lack of Structure” in their structure is why I enjoy the company. That’s a flaw with that kind of setup where people are fighting for attention. Then again that’s what makes it entertaining to me when it clicks. Like what happened on Rampage last night. Having “structure” with writers doesn’t necessarily guarantee a strong “structure”. Because usually as has happened in the WWE that “structure” tends to be torn down over and over again in a very quick manner. It’s really an illusion of “structure”. Especially in the undercard. Like how many times has an angle started in the WWE undercard scene that had no actual follow-up? Quite a lot. Sure the wrestler goes into meetings with ideas, and sketches. It all feels like you’re in a big Hollywood pitch meeting, but then eventually a week later after your debut the floor crumbles underneath, and it’s over. Nice presentation though. 

That’s probably one of the reasons people enjoy Vince. For one day at the start he can make you feel like the center of attention, and on the verge of fame. So as a salesman he’ll leave you with a great impression of him always because you’ll hardly ever butt heads with him. That’s Jim Ross/Heyman/Ace/Pritchard’s job. They will be the right hand to push that wrestlers personal Jenga down when it’s time to cut bait.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Fwiw, Hobbs just tweeted support for TK & Cody. I hate it when my conservative relatives post Candace Owens videos to support their nonsense, so I won’t go so far as to say “see? It’s not real! Swole’s just mad she got cut loose.” I’m just interested in how these chips will fall over the next few days. Lio Rush and Darius Lockhart appear to be “Camp Swole.”

I don’t really know what to think of all this. And maybe that’s ok. I just know Swole came off like someone with an ax to grind, but TK didn’t have the good sense to get out of the forest…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Meh. Hobbs and Starks are criminally underutilized in this promotion for starters. They have a great look, Starks is a solid promo and they can both wrestle. They were getting over too. There's a reason Punk name dropped them and then wanted a match with Hobbs. They go missing from Dynamite weeks at a time. 

I do think Hobbs has been overshadowed since the Dante storyline started. He got the win over Dante before the story really formed and that was that. Now he is going to be overshadowed by HOOK in the short term at least.

Starks, I don’t know what’s going on there. He is a good promo, but terrible at commentary yet they do put him in that role quite often to keep him on TV. I know folks had been talking about a neck injury that would explain his lack of ring time, but he does wrestle every now and again. 

If he is healthy, I do think they should consider ending Team Taz. Keep Taz with his kid and let Hobbs and Starks do their own thing in the tag division for a bit. 

Edited by Jrag

He will get there. He must be build up first. And drop his Shinobi gimmick. No wait, Shinobi did put the mask on before the match. 

Swole has some truth with the too many wrestlers for not enough spots though. Its overloaded and some are lost in the shuffle without explanation. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

Honestly, every part of this situation is really bizarre. To start with, Swole seemed pretty happy with her exit from AEW and I was always under the belief that is was due to Crohns Disease. However, this makes it seem like it's a much deeper rooted situation. I will say that I don't think the POC have really had any established big "pushes" outside of say a Scorpio Sky tag title win and the "Face of the Revolution" ladder match which ended up leading to him in a tag team again. That's where the question is asked - is Scorpio Sky not good enough to be a singles star? I think so, a good TNT Champion, but we'd be lying if any of us said he's a better choice for World champion over Jericho, Hangman Page, Moxley, Danielson, MJF, Omega, ect. Now, does that come down to how they have booked or are booking him? Or is he just not at that level?

I do think Swole was off point on saying "diversity" as there is a very, very diverse group of people within AEW. It just goes back to what was said a few pages ago by someone. Who out there is a POC that is World champion material right now? Keith Lee I absolutely will give you. Should Jay Lethal be AEW World champion? Jonathan Gresham could be a shout down the road, but he seems incredibly loyal to RoH and has his TERMINUS stuff coming up too. Chris Bey will be world champion some day, but again, contracted to Impact and as of this moment - he still needs his big push to have wins over the aforementioned names of Jericho, MJF, Hangman, Moxley, ect. Lee Moriarty - while maybe not getting an MJF level wins and losses push - has wrestled CM Punk in a great match, Bobby Fish in his debut, and had that incredible tag team match with Matt Sydal against Lio Rush and Dante Martin who's also been getting a LOT of TV time.

Regardless, I'm still disappointed that TK handled it the way he did. Nobody wins here in my opinion. Bad looks for all. 

What about Swole saying that her child doesn't see anybody she can relate to on AEW? Am I wrong in looking at Jade Cargill? She's literally absolute money and everyone knows it and has been pushed as such.

Private Party, Jade Cargill, Scorpio Sky, Lee Moriarty, Team Taz, Acclaimed etc. It's such an weird statement. 

And on Dark you have so much good wrestling with all kinds of diversity. 

Tony should have still just not tweeted anything, it really doesnt help making him anything but the boo man. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

5 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Private Party, Jade Cargill, Scorpio Sky, Lee Moriarty, Team Taz, Acclaimed etc. It's such an weird statement. 

Only problem with that is that outside of Jade, all those other black wrestlers are JITTS. I can understand not pushing Sky, or Private Party, but all those other black stars should be on the verge of something bigger, and not be just helping establish your very white stars.

It’s 2022, and diversity sells. TK should realize this. We aren’t just in a “white prints money era”, and his people should be looking for people outside of his color spectrum to be big stars in the future.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Only problem with that is that outside of Jade, all those other black wrestlers are JITTS. I can understand not pushing Sky, or Private Party, but all those other black stars should be on the verge of something bigger. 

Hm, but the world title scene ist too full already. I only see the TNT title as a realistic way to get them championships.

Or finally a trios title. 

A new year brings new booking opportunities and new fixtures to AEW TV. If I were to bet on any kind of stock, it would be Bowens. I think you could strap a rocket to his back with a proper angle where Caster turns on him. Caster may have the better mic skills, but Bowens I think will go future with lesser mic skills and more in ring ability. 

Starks is another, but I have a feeling his neck is more fucked up than anyone wants to let on. Everyone, including TK and Cody, is super high on Starks, but no one easily recovers from a broken neck. 

I could maybe see Top Flight getting a tag championship run this year.