DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Eesh. He’s shot himself in the foot multiple times on twitter. That’s when it’s time to step away. 

Beyond how bad it looks to fans and her former coworkers, is there something about an executive badmouthing a former employee in a way that could damage their reputation? That seems bad. 

• Like 1

Re-reading the interview, that Brandi diss is *harsh*.

Jade is going to win the tournament (maybe always, maybe because of this) and this is going to dominate the discussion around it. Not fair to her.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

Tony Khan just made a late 1990s Eric Bischoff level move. If this was Bischoff saying that, Meltzer would rake him over the coals for it. 

That tweet is everything I hate about Twitter and social media. There is such a thing about being too accessible as the president of a wrestling company. 

The last line just wasn't necessary. The rest of it is reads like "I'm not ____ I have friends that are ___."

I don't really agree with what Big Swole said. At the same time, I don't work for AEW and I didn't experience things behind the scenes she did. Not to mention, she has been wrestling while also having Crohn's Disease. Plus she had a solid feud with Britt Baker which was a major part of building up Britt Baker as a heel and her role to super stardom.

Lio Rush should know about this. He got bashed after tweeting about Tenille Dashwood getting fired.

Edited by TheVileOne

I'm not trying to be khan-trary, but perhaps Tony khan-sumed too much alcohol and that affected his self-khan-trol? Those tweets seem to khan-tradict his previously khan-scientious khan-duct. He should maybe hire a social media khan-sultant to help him avoid khan-tinuing khan-troversy in the future. Probably, a public show of khan-trition would khan-tribute to mollifying all khan-cerned parties.

(One more for good measure):

(and to put too fine a point on it):

Edited by Gordlow
...to be khan-tinued
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, matt925 said:

is there something about an executive badmouthing a former employee in a way that could damage their reputation? That seems bad.

That’s the worst part. He isn’t a fan on a forum anymore. He shouldn’t be criticizing the talent of a former employee like that on a public stage like this after she was recently let go.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s the worst part. He isn’t a fan on a forum anymore. He shouldn’t be criticizing the talent of a former employee like that on a public stage like this. 

He gave her new bookings for ages with his tweet, to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

He gave her new bookings for ages with his tweet, to be honest. 

I think her stock went up too, but the closest equivalent I can think of to a normal job would be to get laid off because your position is no longer needed. (I’ve never worked at a place that does annual reviews, maybe that is a closer comparison but I don’t know what that’s like). Then imagine the high profile ceo publicly criticizes your job performance, but you weren’t fired for cause. Doesn’t seem like that will be a good thing for him. 

Kinda bad interview by a former employee who's probably still hurt things didn't go the way she hoped it would go.

Really bad response by the way to rich kid boss who get's to play out his dreams because his dad has way too much money.

It's depressing as hell, but I am intrigued how this all will play out.

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 1

He should've simply asked her to give a list of names she felt he should've gotten rid of or taken TV time away from as that would've pretty much ended the whole thing.

So, as a white dude I'm going to try very, very hard to not overstep. I have some questions, though.

I've noticed elsewhere that folks have a problem with the state of the roster as it pertains to African American men. At the time the company was formed, who was out there that had any sort of notoriety that AEW could've signed? Kofi, Woods, Big E, Keith Lee, Lashley, Swerve Scott, Crews, Alexander, Benjamin, Trey Miguel, Rich Swann, the Mack... all elsewhere. I feel they've actually done a fairly good job getting the Acclaim over. Private Party has been used regularly, if presented a bit inconsistently. Lee Johnson has a bright future. Lee Moriarty. Shawn Dean. Lockhart. Will Hobbs. I imagine Keith Lee's price just went up, and for his sake I hope so. I just can't figure out what a reasonable expectation for black male main eventers given that there weren't any high level free agents out there at the time AEW was formed. Hell, Lee is the first real "A list" free agent that fits that bill in a year or so. 

Secondly, to the naked eye, AEW's roster is diverse. There have been four women's world champions in AEW. Exactly one has been white. They've gotten firmly behind the Lucha Brothers, P&P, Sammy Guevara, Jade Cargill, Thunder Rosa, Dante Martin, Ricky Starks and Scorpio Sky. Could they use a couple upper card male performers? 100%. But there are folks making it sound like AEW's roster looks like the crowd of goofs that stormed the Capitol last year. It ain't monochrome. 

Thirdly, Big Swole is a very, very average performer. She's probably reached her ceiling as a women's wrestler in a mainstream promotion. It's very hard for me not to be cynical about the motivation behind those comments.

Lastly, what TK said is inexcusable. As someone who has dealt with a very mild ASD diagnosis my adolescent and adult life, Tony's response, along with some other things I've seen from him, makes me wonder if he has some undiagnosed ASD as well. It doesn't excuse what he said, it would just explain some of his behavior. FWIW, I personally believe autism is much more common than we think it is, particularly in professional athletes & entertainers.

• Like 18

Tony is clearly on the spectrum. If his everyday actions don't make it obvious enough, look at the "behind the scenes" footage from the Rosa/Baker lights out match, when Britt is walking to the back and Tony is rattling off a bunch of matches he thought that was better than. It was something Meltzer (who's about three steps away from non-functioning, by my eye) would have done.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Meltz is another guy I’d have pegged as ASD.

He's the most obvious, and it's weird how no one else picks up on it. Cornette makes fun of him for not looking at the camera on his Dark Side of the Ring appearances, or emailing him out of the blue when Cornette's made it clear he's mad at him, but man, there are reasons for that. Even if you'd never seen him in person, jeez, the obsessive obituaries he puts together should be a tip off.

But, like Taz, I digress.

• Like 2