DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Holy fuck what an awful reply. Man for as much as I like about how TK handles stuff... he's still very immature. Not everyone is going to like every decision you make. And even worse when someone makes a reasonable criticism you can't be like well fuck you, you sucked anyways. Whether she did or didn't is pretty irrelevant. Because if she did then why the fuck you signing her in the first place dude? You look like a total dipshit either way.

Spectacularly awful to handle this. This isn't going to just go away by deleting the tweet and being all like "but guys its new years I was drunk lols".

• Like 2

TK's logic is that booking wins for black people is a sign of diversity?  That's pretty sad. 

And then the straw man jab at her ring skills rather than address the points she made one-by-one.  Dude needs to hire a social media consultant with the swiftness.

I cannot refute that TK is a brown man, but I am fairly certain that a day spent in his brown man's shoes is a lot different than mine.

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Spectacularly awful to handle this. This isn't going to just go away by deleting the tweet and being all like "but guys its new years I was drunk lols".

More like that judge in Louisiana that blamed her dropping of the n-bomb on sedatives.

Edited by J.T.

AEW pretty much positioned themselves as this super Diverse "Woke" Wrestling company.  It really hurts them when you look at WWE , Ring of Honor and Impact how much great black talent is up and down each roster and it doesn't seem forced at all. AEW is held way more accountable because theyve openly marketed themselves as this equality Wrestling promotion. I'm not Really even a fan of people like Khan and the Rhodes and people in  executive positions being so accessible and responsive on Social media, especially Wrestling Twitter. 

It didn't come off well for Road Dogg in WWE when he was heading Smackdown creative and it comes off worse for these guys because people expect better. It comes off Bush League

2 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

2022, the evil Mr. Khan character is here.

I miss the mediocre, not heel or babyface authority figure like Jack Tunney. Bobby Heenan made it work for him, at least.

"He's the best president since Noriega!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Regardless of the race issue, it can't look good to your talent that their boss can throw them under the bus so easily.  Even Vince is tactful enough to use the "budget cuts" excuse.

Yeah, regardless of whatever discussions of race and merit there are to be had, punching down on someone who was so down on the totem pole is a fucking bizarre thing to do. 

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic
20 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

2022, the evil Mr. Khan character is here.

“I didn’t screw Big Swole. Big Swole screwed Big Swole.”

I’m excited for the decade long Kahn vs Brit Baker feud. He’ll be an evil billionaire, she’ll spray him with a truck of fluoride. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, J.T. said:

TK's logic is that booking wins for black people is a sign of diversity?  That's pretty sad. 

And then the straw man jab at her ring skills rather than address the points she made one-by-one.  Dude needs to hire a social media consultant with the swiftness.

I cannot refute that TK is a brown man, but I am fairly certain that a day spent in his brown man's shoes is a lot different than mine.

More like that judge in Louisiana that blamed her dropping of the n-bomb on sedatives.

Granted we have evidence he was probably trying to get himself fired based on his bizarre office behavior of pissing out windows and bringing guns to work, Bill Watts is proof you can push black people to the moon, make them huge superstars, and be a huge racist and bigot. And that's why I think what someone said about AEW positioning themselves as a woke or diverse company inherently cannot work in addition to the execs being on Twitter. At least not on a big scale where money has to made. It works on paper, not so much in execution. A pro wrestling company that's on nationwide TV cannot be run like a Silicon valley startup ran by a bunch of millennials.  

I've said it a few times (once before the first Dynamite and couple times since then), but you CANNOT be everything to everyone. Then you have no identity. Yes, some of these indy groups can do that. There is a level of specificity that can be devoted to any marginalized group because you're not committing to make profits (at least not necessarily) or required to fulfill business commitments. You cannot DO both or all of the above.

If things were ran differently, WWE probably could but that's only because they have a several decade headstart on everyone else and earned the loyalty of enough people to stick around. Anyone else? No. 

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

IMO, nobody looks good in this. Darius and Swole both seem to believe that diversity only means black people, disregarding Japanese and Latino talents. 

No, only Tony Khan looks bad. He shouldn’t have responded as fast as he did in the way he did. He just placed his neck, and his companies neck out there without any tact whatsoever. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

IMO, nobody looks good in this. Darius and Swole both seem to believe that diversity only means black people, disregarding Japanese and Latino talents. 

Swole actually brings up adding more Asian, Latinx, and Indian wrestlers in her initial comments.

While I would argue that AEW has done a pretty good job of diversity given the industry, there was no excuse for what TK wrote. He could have refuted her comments without being a petty ass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Swole actually brings up adding more Asian, Latinx, and Indian wrestlers in her initial comments.

She also said no one on AEW looks like her daughter, which has to sting if you're Red Velvet or Jade Cargill. ?

Still, a tactless tweet from Tony.

Just now, Dog said:

She also said no one on AEW looks like her daughter, which has to sting if you're Red Velvet or Jade Cargill. ?

Yea that comment is particularly wtf when you think of the women they also bring in for Dark. But yea, TK needs to step away from the twitter. 

• Like 1