DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

On 1/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just noticed Breakdown(1997) is on HBOMAX.

I’ve noticed this movie itself has become the new “Hey guys, you know what guilty pleasure isn’t talked about enough?”(it gets a lot of mentions on podcast randomly), but this is one of the better ones. Mixing Rear Window, and the yuppie thrillers of the 1990’s with a great leading performance by Kurt Russell. It also has the 90’s trend of a modern film shot in the dessert, and it looks fantastic. 

Recommended for a date night.

Worth it just to watch J.T. Walsh being amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

There's now a Paramount+/Showtime bundle, $14.99 gets you add free Paramount+ and Showtime, $11.99 gets you the add version of Paramount+ and Showtime. You have to use both apps though, kind of a hassle but there's enough content between the two where I plan to keep it as a permanent and move Netflix down to only subscribing when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Paramount+ will start offering a tier that incorporates Showtime and all its programming

Beginning over the summer, subscribers to Paramount Plus will be able to select an in-app upgrade that includes access to the paid TV channel and its content. According to president and chief executive officer of streaming at ViacomCBS Tom Ryan, users will be able to upgrade “simply” in the app and will have all of the content available in one location.

The pricing for the bundle of the Paramount Plus Essential tier and the Showtime services will increase to $14.99/month and will include the ad-free Paramount Plus Premium tier as well as the Showtime service.

Side note - ViacomCBS is going to rebrand as just Paramount "in an effort to adopt a more “iconic global name.”"

• 2 weeks later...

Tri-state area friends: all the MLB lockout talk has me wondering if anyone knows which, if any, streaming services are carrying YES Network? YouTube TV won't be bringing it back AGAIN this year, and it doesn't seem like Hulu or DirecTV will either based on some cursory research.

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Tri-state area friends: all the MLB lockout talk has me wondering if anyone knows which, if any, streaming services are carrying YES Network? YouTube TV won't be bringing it back AGAIN this year, and it doesn't seem like Hulu or DirecTV will either based on some cursory research.

DirecTV and AT&T have it (are they one and the same now) but you have to sign up for their premium service which is stupidly expensive ($89.99 a MONTH)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

DirecTV and AT&T have it (are they one and the same now) but you have to sign up for their premium service which is stupidly expensive ($89.99 a MONTH)

Ah thanks, man. I just did the plan comparison and I thought I didn't see it listed, I must've just breezed by it. I also just cancelled the YTTV sports plus package since the NFL season's over, dropping my bill 11 bucks, so there's absolutely no way I can justify that increase.

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

DirecTV Stream is it.  No other services do (I've looked into them all).

Since I cut, I get the NYY package for MLB.tv, but like last season, they can fuck off of they think I'm paying full price for a short season.

• Thanks 1

You would think at some point Amazon might make some sort of noise about getting it - since they are minority owners in YES but Sinclair owns more than Amazon so that might be a stumbling block

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You would think at some point Amazon might make some sort of noise about getting it - since they are minority owners in YES but Sinclair owns more than Amazon so that might be a stumbling block

I was hoping for that too. I remember reading last year they had a plan to put at least 15 games on there but no idea if that came to fruition

I'm also switching to DirecTVStream for now as Ustream cable was getting too expensive. I wanted to completely cut the cord, but there's still some live sports that compelled me to keep it for now. Stream does seem to be good for the apps at least. I am dumping my digital landline phone service though. All I get is spam phone calls anymore anyway.

Disney+ is reportedly adding a cheaper tier that will be supported by ads later this year

The Disney+ Head of Ad Sales said they will reveal more details about the plan during the May upfronts

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Disney+ is reportedly adding a cheaper tier that will be supported by ads later this year

The Disney+ Head of Ad Sales said they will reveal more details about the plan during the May upfronts

I'll have to see how much cheaper. Vudu does pretty good with the "free with ads" stuff, but I am really missing D+ now that so much Marvel stuff is on it.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Apparently HBO Max and Discovery+ will be meging. 

Well it makes sense since Discovery and WarnerMedia are merging into one company

Apparently it will start with them bundling the two services together and then eventually merge into a single sign-on system. There is no timetable for the later since the merging of the companies isn't expected to be finalized until the middle of this year.

This is financial but also would probably work its way into streaming

Amazon announced that is closed its deal to acquire MGM

Amazon on Thursday said that it closed its acquisition of MGM, in an $8.45 billion deal that will allow the e-commerce giant to expand its TV and movie offerings.

The company’s announcement came after a regulatory waiting period expired at the Federal Trade Commission, which has signaled it would take a tougher line on tech acquisitions under the leadership of chair Lina Khan.

“MGM has a nearly century-long legacy of producing exceptional entertainment, and we share their commitment to delivering a broad slate of original films and television shows to a global audience,” said Mike Hopkins, senior vice president of Prime Video and Amazon Studios.

Earlier this week, European regulators approved the deal, saying that its investigation found the deal “would not significantly reduce competition” in relevant video markets.

FTC spokeswoman Betsy Lordan declined to comment on the deal and any communications to Amazon or MGM.

Legislation was just introduced to congress that would make a merger that large illegal. 
49-CC76-D2-E87-D-4-CE2-91-C0-53-A290-F20

I don’t even have confidence that they’re going to actually get rid of Daylight Savings though, so I’m not optimistic about this going anywhere. 

• Like 4