DVDVR Message Board

2022 Subscription Services, Finances and Other Stuff

RIPPA

I am tweaking things a little hence the closing of the other threads.

For discussion about programming - those go in the Movie or TV threads (though most of the Disney stuff has its own threads elsewhere)

This will be used for discussion of services as a whole (see next post for an example of this), price changes, deals, etc.. This thread can also be used for things like "Company X bought Service Y" 

Box Office discussion can just be in the Movie thread.

EXAMPLE~!

Okay - so we bought my Mom a Macbook for Christmas. Because we did so - I now have three months of Apple+ free

Besides Ted Lasso - what is the stuff exclusive to that service that I should be checking out?

On 12/31/2021 at 8:30 PM, RIPPA said:

EXAMPLE~!

Okay - so we bought my Mom a Macbook for Christmas. Because we did so - I now have three months of Apple+ free

Besides Ted Lasso - what is the stuff exclusive to that service that I should be checking out?

I liked Mythic Quest a lot more than I expected.  There are moments the Always Sunny dna comes through, but it’s more than that.

I watched the first season of The Morning Show with my wife, and it was interesting.  The me too stuff wasn’t necessarily well done, but I enjoyed Billy Crudup and the Duplass brother that acts. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:30 PM, RIPPA said:

I've only really watched Mythic Quest, Ted Lasso, and that Sofia Coppola film with Jones/Murray. I've watched half the first season of Morning Show, but it's not a particularly good show, and I keep partially starting that 70s Documentary. 

Stuff, I have slated to watch on there soon: Boy's State, Velvet Underground, Coda, Finch, Tragedy of Macbeth.

Some maybes at some point: For All Mankind, Foundation, Mr. Corman, Shrink Next Door, See, and Physical

On 12/31/2021 at 5:30 PM, RIPPA said:

EXAMPLE~!

My brother in law watched Invasion and said it was good. Also I haven't watched it yet but there's a show called "See" that has Jason Momoa and Dave Bautista. 

Oh, and Denzel's Macbeth movie premiers on Apple+ on the 14th

Edited by BrianS81177

I don't think this will effect anyone here but DIY Network became Magnolia Network this week. 

I guess it is only available on Discovery+

And now you can join me in the horseshit thread for why I found this out

I only made it through a few episodes of Invasion. It was so boring. Hey, a series about an alien invasion where...nothing happens. Cool.

Ted Lasso is awesome.

My wife and I really loved Foundation.

Mythic Quest is good, but if you only give it a shot for one episode then you might not like it. It takes a little bit to get its wheels spinning and it's far more heartfelt than I thought it would be. A couple episodes made me pretty teary eyed. And while it's a funny show, it didn't really make me laugh a lot if that makes any sense.

Wolfwalkers may have been the only movie we've watched on there, but it's extremely good and the art style is pretty cool.

Oh, and the wife and I also loved For All Mankind.

Netflix is raising its prices... again

For the US and Canada

Netflix raised the monthly price of most of its subscription plans in the U.S. and Canada, as the streamer looks to generate more revenue from a slower-growing base customers.

The price increases, announced Friday, will see Netflix’s Standard plan — its most popular tier, which provides two simultaneous HD streams — go up by $1.50, to $15.49 per month.

In addition, Netflix’s Premium plan (with four streams and offering 4K Ultra HD content) is going up by $2, from $17.99 to $19.99 per month, for U.S. customers. The Basic plan (with a single non-HD stream) is going up $1, to $9.99 monthly.

A notice on Netflix’s customer-support site says the new prices apply to new members and will gradually take effect for all current members. “Current members will receive an email notification 30 days before their price changes, unless they change their plan,” the message says.

The company also increased prices in Canada, where the Standard package increased by $1.50 (CAD), rising to $16.49 (CAD), and the Premium plan went up by $2 (CAD) to $20.99 (CAD)/month. In Canada, the Basic plan remained unchanged at $9.99 (CAD)/month.

“We understand people have more entertainment choices than ever and we’re committed to delivering an even better experience for our members,” a Netflix rep said in a statement, using the same language the last time the streamer raised prices. The spokesperson added, “We’re updating our prices so that we can continue to offer a wide variety of quality entertainment options. As always we offer a range of plans so members can pick a price that works for their budget.”

Netflix’s stock rose more than 3% on news of the price increases, before closing for the day +1.25% to $525.69/share. The stock has dropped 13% over the last month amid investor concern over intensifying competition in the streaming wars.

The hikes are the first for U.S. and Canadian customers since October 2020, and Netflix’s third increase in the last three years. The higher rates come as the company has seen its subscriber growth slow down significantly in its UCAN (U.S. and Canada) region over the past year.

In the third quarter of 2021, Netflix netted just 70,000 streaming subscribers in the U.S. and Canada. For the 12 months ended Sept. 30, it gained about 940,000 in UCAN to stand at 74.0 million (+1.3% year over year) compared with a net add of 18.1 million worldwide (+9.4% YoY).

Netflix is scheduled to report Q4 2021 results next Thursday (Jan. 20) after the market closes.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/netflix-hikes-prices-us-canada-1235154777/

My wife wanted to get HBO Max for a little bit in order to watch And Just Like That... so, I've used it to watch some of Lovecraft Country as well as the first season of WestWorld (finally). Any other suggestions on what might be worthwhile, genres be damned?!?

37 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

My wife wanted to get HBO Max for a little bit in order to watch And Just Like That... so, I've used it to watch some of Lovecraft Country as well as the first season of WestWorld (finally). Any other suggestions on what might be worthwhile, genres be damned?!?

Peacemaker, Euphoria, The White Lotus, Station Eleven, Search Party, Hacks, Nora From Queens, Righteous Gemstones, Mare of Easttown, Succession, Barry, Watchmen, The Flight Attendant...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I very much enjoy Selena+Chef. I find watching Selena Gomez learning how to cook remotely from various chefs relaxing and enjoyable. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you like 1) Selena Gomez, 2) cooking shows, or 3) watching people struggling at cooking.

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Silicon Valley, mother fucking BANSHEE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Raised By Wolves is awesome. It’s like a non-sense Sci-Fi themed 90’s perfume and cologne ad directed by Ridley Scott turned into a series. I can’t get enough of it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I very much enjoy Selena+Chef. I find watching Selena Gomez learning how to cook remotely from various chefs relaxing and enjoyable. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you like 1) Selena Gomez, 2) cooking shows, or 3) watching people struggling at cooking.

Well, I do like cooking and Selena Gomez, should I give it a go? TBH, I mostly know Selena from voice acting on Hotel Transylvania movies, but she was fun on those. Maybe I could get some pointers, although cooking shows haven't been something I gravitate towards. I have, however, watched shows that are more about eating, and those do usually involve showing and explaining the process of prepairing the dishes the host(s) end up consuming.

Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions. Some of them I'm already somewhat familiar with, others I know by name and more than a few I hear mentioned for the first time. Curb Your what? ...just kidding.

Edited by Shartnado
Thanks for the ideas...

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Well, I do like cooking and Selena Gomez, should I give it a go? TBH, I mostly know Selena from voice acting on Hotel Transylvania movies, but she was fun on those. Maybe I could get some pointers, although cooking shows haven't been something I gravitate towards. I have, however, watched shows that are more about eating, and those do usually involve showing and explaining the process of prepairing the dishes the host(s) end up consuming.

Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions. Some of them I'm already somewhat familiar with, others I know by name and more than a few I hear mentioned for the first time. Curb Your what? ...just kidding.

Based on what you described, yeah. The chefs are explaining how to prepare the dishes to Selena, who's going through the process (albeit sometimes a little flustered), and Selena ends up eating the dish with her friends or her grandparents at the end of each show.

Each episode is only 25 minutes long, and if you watch the first one and find it's not enjoyable, you're probably not going to like the rest of the series, but I personally think it's a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed Breakdown(1997) is on HBOMAX.

I’ve noticed this movie itself has become the new “Hey guys, you know what guilty pleasure isn’t talked about enough?”(it gets a lot of mentions on podcast randomly), but this is one of the better ones. Mixing Rear Window, and the yuppie thrillers of the 1990’s with a great leading performance by Kurt Russell. It also has the 90’s trend of a modern film shot in the dessert, and it looks fantastic. 

Recommended for a date night.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs