DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/28/2022 at 11:35 AM, RIPPA said:

Another trailer for Jurassic World Dominion

A dude on an E-Scooter gets eaten so my opinion of this movie just went up

So.....  The early audience reviews are, to be extremely generous... mixed.  

The two most fun parts apparently:

Spoiler

The dinosaurs barely factor into the movie and they're actually fighting some kind of super-locusts.

AND...

Spoiler

Apparently one of the villains of this movie actually dresses up like a superhero villain.  

This is still going to make a trillion dollars, but.... hooo boy.  

(Oddly, the TomatoMeter is at 88%, but if you actually read the blurbs, they're all like "I mean, I guess it's okay?"

• Haha 2

This technically should got in Horror but it is big enough for this thread

Prey

Reminder that this is a Predator movie that is debuting on Hulu

• Like 3

The School for Good & Evil

Director: Paul Feig

Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington, Sophia Anne Caruso and Sofia Wylie are the folks mentioned by the Netflix blurb. IMDB says the following folks are also in it: Michelle Yeoh, Laurence Fishburne, Ben Kingsley, Patti LuPone, Rob Delaney

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another trailer for Bullet Train

Fine - I will be the only person who sees this

I plan to catch it. I'm just not sure it will be in a theater.

Edited by Eivion

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Prey

Wow I had no idea the Comanches from 300 years ago spoke flawless English with no traces of an accent.

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Wow I had no idea the Comanches from 300 years ago spoke flawless English with no traces of an accent.

Actually about that

https://www.slashfilm.com/886791/prey-will-give-viewers-the-option-to-watch-the-film-in-the-comanche-language/

Trachtenberg clarified and emphasized, saying the creative team did struggle with what he called the "'Hunt For Red October' thing," where the characters speak Russian before transitioning into English. He said they never quite came up with a way to make that work, so instead, the film was shot in English and Comanche. "Both languages are spoken, but when you hear English, it's as if it's Comanche," he said. "But what Jhane is speaking to is on Hulu, there will be a Comanche dub of the movie, so you can watch the entire movie in Comanche with the original actors returning to perform their roles."

One of the benefits of putting the movie on a streaming service it appears

• Like 3

Yeah that has me officially all-in on the movie. If we get a Comanche language cut with subs, that will make all the difference in the world. As is it looks super dope but that will erase any qualms. 

A Predator movie -- a GOOD Predator movie -- in 2022? Yes please. 

• Like 1

Per Variety, Julia Garner (Inventing Anna) has been offered the role of Madonna in the upcoming Universal biopic

Madonna herself is directing the movie so, hoo boy, we should buckle up for the stories from that production

Apple has secured the rights to an untitled Brad Pitt movie about Formula One that is to be directed by Joseph Kosinski

Here is why the businessy Hollywood types are all giddy (and this could easily go in the finances thread)

The key to the deal is a theatrical distribution component. But instead of a token release in a small number of theaters or a day-and-date opening, the movie would have an exclusive — and global — run of at least 30 days (one source says it could even go as high as 60 days) before heading to the Apple TV+ platform. A distribution partner would need to come on board, and it’s unclear when one would be approached. That could happen before production, potentially enticed by a sizzle reel, or perhaps after production has wrapped.

Apple has released movies in theaters before, with animated film Wolfwalkers enjoying a 30-day window and The Tragedy of Macbeth getting 21 days. However, those were small-scale awards play releases, not tentpole-style extravaganzas.

In another first, insiders say the theatrical component is structured in a way that would see Apple and the filmmakers split the take from the big-screen release 50-50. The unique deal, in essence, pays the creative team three ways: their upfront fees, their hefty buyout fees and the theatrical backend. Sources say Kosinski, who will also produce, and Bruckheimer will see paydays well into the eight figures, with Pitt and his company hitting $40 million to $50 million. Apple had no comment.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, RIPPA said:

Prey

You were right to post it in the Upcoming thread.  Even when it was out, Predator was more of an action joint than it was a horror movie and the rest have followed suit, even the horrible AvP spin-offs.

It would be totally badass if:

Spoiler

The Predator in this movie turns out to be one of the elders on the ship in Predator 2 and Prey is the movie where he obtains the flintlock pistol he keeps as a trophy and then gives to Danny Glover out of respect for surviving the hunt.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

I really love Hustle. Great sports movie. I am incredibly partial to it because the Rocky montage stuff was filmed in my neighborhood and the combine was where I went to college. But this is just a really great look at basketball. 

Didn't expect Jurassic World Dominion to score so low on Rotten Tomatoes, 34% rotten. Damn. My late great Mum loved the original trilogy, she never got to see the ones after having passed in 2014. It's why I haven't either without her.

Yesterday was Ghostbusters day, apparently?  And since Universal is starved as fuck for a franchise of... well, some kind or another. 

Firehouse (unnamed Ghostbusters sequel) is currently greenlit for production, because a terrible reboot deserves another few movies that no one will care about.   (cf. Fantastic Beasts)

ADDITIONALLY...

An animated movie is in the works by Sony Animation, an animated Netflix series is coming, a comic book by Dark Horse is coming, 2 video games, and 2 toy lines.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Sadly, only we nerds are concerned with continuity these days.

Sometimes we pay for it, though: just look what happened after we saw the Xenomorph skull in the ship there at the end of Predator 2. (I am actually a secret outlier fan of AvP 1, though I haven't seen it in years either. I think I just liked the downbeat ending.)

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Firehouse (unnamed Ghostbusters sequel) is currently greenlit for production, because a terrible reboot deserves another few movies that no one will care about.   (cf. Fantastic Beasts)

It made almost $130 million in theaters during the pandemic. It was always going to get a sequel

As I say to Curt regarding the Quiet Place movies - no matter the quality they will get sequels if they make money

See the Jurassic Park movies or Transformer movies (though Ghostbusters doesn't have the international market the other two have)

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, so apparently this hasn't been posted here yet? Okay then. 

A friend on Facebook said it looks like a Geico commercial. 

Well, I did post it in the horror thread and you liked it on Wed. ?

"Everything Everywhere All At Once" is available for digital purchase, not streaming yet. The wife wanted to see it so badly that we spent the $20 and it's easily worth way more than that. Fucking GREAT. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And I knew I had to have seen it on here first but only looked through this thread instead of the horror one. Go figure.

I was going to post in both places, but did not want the Wrath of Phil. 

• Haha 1