DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

On 11/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Ooh...is this one of the many iOS/Android versions that has come out over the years that's been ported, or is it an entirely new version?

Just give me the old MECC version with the negative quantity bug/cheat! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, this Midnight Sons game is sounding good...except for everything I'm hearing about the story being generic and bland.

I am really looking forward to playing it, but not for full price since my backlog is still so full. But it will be a really fun $40 purchase I think by June or so, it does look pretty solid.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, this Midnight Sons game is sounding good...except for everything I'm hearing about the story being generic and bland.

Yeah, Kotaku gave it a pretty high score, but I am conditioned not to believe anything on Kotaku or Endgaget.

If it's playable on Steam Deck I might get it, since it seems like a good handheld type of game. And I've been getting into card games lately, with Elder Scrolls Legends and Marvel Snap (and before that, WWE Supercard).

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I feel bad for laughing at every Bioware announcement.

I know nobody stays on top at anything forever,  but I can't believe how little I've liked their games post Mass Effect. I would have easily called them my favorite developer of all time even after Mass Effect 3, but they've shat the need over and over again since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I know nobody stays on top at anything forever,  but I can't believe how little I've liked their games post Mass Effect. I would have easily called them my favorite developer of all time even after Mass Effect 3, but they've shat the need over and over again since. 

This might be splitting hairs but I would hardly say they shit the bed over and over

Since ME3 was first released - Bioware released

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Anthem
  • Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Obviously Anthem was a pile of shit. I would argue Andromeda wasn't THAT bad but where Bioware shit the bed (forced by EA???) was moving all the resources to Anthem instead of supporting Andromeda.

You personally might not have like Inquisition but it was critical acclaimed and generally well received and if you count the Legendary Edition - they are at .500 since ME3

(And the reason I am bringing up the Legendary Edition is I have seen a bunch of folks feeling better about DA4 and the future Mass Effect game because the LE did as well as it did)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This might be splitting hairs but I would hardly say they shit the bed over and over

Since ME3 was first released - Bioware released

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Anthem
  • Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Obviously Anthem was a pile of shit. I would argue Andromeda wasn't THAT bad but where Bioware shit the bed (forced by EA???) was moving all the resources to Anthem instead of supporting Andromeda.

You personally might not have like Inquisition but it was critical acclaimed and generally well received and if you count the Legendary Edition - they are at .500 since ME3

(And the reason I am bringing up the Legendary Edition is I have seen a bunch of folks feeling better about DA4 and the future Mass Effect game because the LE did as well as it did)

I feel like both Inquisition and Andromeda are more shitting the bed than Anthem. Inquisition and Andromeda are the kind of games they should be able to do successfully, and both made me less excited to play their games. Anthem was trying something new and failing, which happens sometimes when you try to spread your wings and explore new horizons. When you fuck up the rivers and the lakes that you're used to, that's when you shit the bed. Neither game got the right parts right, if that makes sense. The reasons people love Mass Effect and Dragon Age is that they told good stories, with compelling characters on top of fun gameplay.  I don't mind the gameplay on either game, especially Andromeda, but the stories and characters didn't leave any impression on me at all, and that's what I trusted Bioware to do over anything else. It's the difference between sleeping with your wife for years then all of a sudden, she starts kicking you in the ribs every time you fall asleep and sleeping with a new girl you met at a bar, and she kicks you in your sleep. One of them you trusted not to be a sleep kicker and the other was a dice roll whether or not she'd be a sleep kicker. I was so much happier when I knew I could fall asleep and wake up without a bruised rib, now I dread falling asleep because my ribs are in constant danger. 

Edited by supremebve
shitting the shoots
  • Like 1

at this point, i can't tell if this is on purpose or not....

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

they've shat the need over and over again

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I feel like both Inquisition and Andromeda are more shooting the bed than Anthem.

that's when you sit the bed.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

at this point, i can't tell if this is on purpose or not....

It's not, I can't access the board from my work computer, but I can from my phone.  So, between autocorrect, and me typing while most of my attention is actually somewhere else, we get random typos that I don't notice.  I am really amused that my phone allows me to type "shat" with no issue, but "shit" always gets corrected.

• Haha 2

This isn't really surprising but Microsoft confirmed that starting next year - all their first party titles will have their price raised to $70

So this includes Starfield, Redfall and the next Forza

Now it should be noted - all Microsoft first party titles release on Game Pass on Day One so that might ease the sting for some depending on your difference between physical and digital versions

My Series S is basically only a Gamepass + backward compatible machine so this doesn’t hurt me at all. But it’s still lame as fuck, that price point has kept me from buying a lot of games on launch on PS5.

Also back to the BioWare thing: granted it’s been years since release, so they’re both generally “fixed” but hardly had any support, but: Anthem was better Andromeda, fight me.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This isn't really surprising but Microsoft confirmed that starting next year - all their first party titles will have their price raised to $70

I realize that seems like a lot but Pac-Man for the 2600 was $34.99 at release. That's $108 now. Street Fighter 2 for the SNES was $74.99 on release. That's $158 now. 

The msrp of games hasn’t kept up with inflation, so I dunno why a $10 increase would bother me.  Games we’re $60 far longer than they should have been.  I don’t expect studios to work for free or cheap, so….

Finally nearing the end of GoW: Ragnarok.  Enjoyed it quite a bit and think it’s probably game of the year, though I think I enjoyed Bayonetta 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn a touch more.  

Planning to play Witcher 3 over the holidays once next-gen upgrade is released.  Only played about two hours of it on release, so it is new to me.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

I realize that seems like a lot but Pac-Man for the 2600 was $34.99 at release. That's $108 now. Street Fighter 2 for the SNES was $74.99 on release. That's $158 now. 

I hope no one in the gaming industry reads this, but you get more for your money with video games than pretty much any other entertainment genre.  For $60-$70, you can have upwards of 100 hours of use depending on the game.  Honestly, my biggest gaming pet peeve lately is that games are too long.  I don't want to pay an extra $10 per game, but I'm also not going to complain about it.

• Like 1

I hope no one in the gaming industry reads this, but you get more for your money with video games than pretty much any other entertainment genre. 

This is true of games in general, not just video games. But yes.