DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It's been a few months, but some are rumoring that this next Nintendo Direct will finally confirm Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to the Switch. 

lolololol yeah, ok, sure. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, that's my tone. First time the rumors have resurfaced since early this year at least.

It's an instant buy for me if they do release it. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I believe that's the game after this one that's focused on Basim.

Assassin's Creed Infinity or something.

Yep, the live service game is supposedly named Infinity.

Ubisoft is also rumored to be working on a remake of AC 1.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

To be fair - in this case it is coming from Jeff Grubb who has a fairly good track record in these sort of things

The last big general Nintendo Direct was in February 2022. And according to a new report, another is being planned for September 2022, although it is unclear if this will be a Direct Mini or a more substantial one. Regardless, this new Direct is reportedly going to focus heavily on The Legend of Zelda and have more than its share of remasters.

As picked up by Video Games Chronicle, insider Jeff Grubb spoke about this alleged Direct on his Game Mess podcast. Co-host Mike Minotti, wearing a Wind Waker shirt, started by saying that the games that they are “very, very sure” will be there are the Switch ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. While the two were originally on the GameCube (and also the Wii for Twilight Princess), both were later ported to the Wii U. Grubb continued and talked about the scope of the Direct itself, which would be airing the week of September 12 according to a “pretty good source.”

“I think there’s gonna be a lot of Zelda stuff at this thing,” said Grubb. “I think this is like a Zelda blowout for Nintendo… 100% there is a Nintendo Direct in September. It’s that simple. There still is some uncertainty about whether this will be a general [Direct or] maybe a Mini. There was some talk of it being a partner Direct. I know that was happening on the Famiboards [a Nintendo forum].”

The size of the Direct matters because it would more likely foreshadow the scale of the announcements. And seeing as though he’s heard about these ports, their inclusion would imply a more general Direct.

“If they’re gonna have Zelda stuff there, this is not a partner Direct, right?” said Grubb. “And those are the things that we’ve been hearing; there would definitely be some Zelda stuff there. The specifics that were name dropped were Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD ports to the Switch.”

Grubb also brought up the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which still doesn’t have an official title and was delayed to spring 2023. He said it was a “distinct possibility” that title would debut at the show and be a “pretty good tentpole” that would elevate the other announcements. However, this is just speculation, as Minotti said the two Zelda ports were the only things he wanted to put himself out there for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - in this case it is coming from Jeff Grubb who has a fairly good track record in these sort of things

Ok, well if Grubb is saying it, then I believe it a lot more than I did 24 hours ago. He's been one of the best insiders for awhile now.

I still think though, that since this is Nintendo we're talking about, they're going to think just announcing re-releases of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess will be enough and not say a word about Breath of the Wild 2. I'd like to be wrong about that, but there's been plenty of times where they've done the final announcement thing for a Nintendo Direct where there were rumors about Breath of the Wild 2 going into it, and the announcement was some shit like Splatoon 3 or Skyward Sword.

Now, if they wanted to announce a re-release of Wind Waker and a remaster of Phantom Hourglass, then that maybe is close to being big enough. And throw in Spirit Tracks while they're at it. There you go. Do a remastered animated Link trilogy.

Also, I can't be the only one that really dislikes Twilight Princess, right? That game disappointed me more than Majora's Mask. 

5 hours ago, Casey said:

so apparently Amy Hennig’s Marvel game is a World War 2 game with Captain America and King Azzuri the Wise (Black Panther) fighting HYDRA.

Casey's post reminded me that the Disney/Marvel showcase is tomorrow (4 pm EST)

So we should know more about this game and Midnight Sun's at a minimum

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

It’s been very odd what people do and do not consider to be respectful during the period of mourning in the UK.

like stations going commercial free and playing sad songs on the radio. 

I have so many questions about how everyone is reading to Queen Elizabeth's death. George H.W. Bush died and we moved on with our lives the same damn day. The queen of a foreign country died and we get 24 hours of coverage for days. I just don't get it. I can kind of understand why the U.K. is going out of their way to morn her death, but she literally had no affect on American life. 

• Like 2

I presume part of it is due to the Angoplhilia and “royalty envy” many Americans have had for years, at least back to the Princess Diana wedding. 

id say there’s also the difference between a President dying (especially only that only served 1 term) and a 96 year old monarch who was queen for 70 years. 

the debate over canceling the football over the weekend reminded me of the debate over the NFL playing after the JFK assassination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I presume part of it is due to the Angoplhilia and “royalty envy” many Americans have had for years, at least back to the Princess Diana wedding. 

id say there’s also the difference between a President dying (especially only that only served 1 term) and a 96 year old monarch who was queen for 70 years. 

the debate over canceling the football over the weekend reminded me of the debate over the NFL playing after the JFK assassination. 

A president of this country, even one as forgettable as the first George Bush, should take precedent over any foreign ruler I don't care how long they ruled. This should be double for a foreign rule who is literally only a ceremonial ruler.  The only Bush I've ever liked is Reggie,  but that's not really the point.  I just think it fascination with some other country's royal family is a really weird phenomenon. As a society, we generally do not give a flying fuck about anyone outside of the United States. Why pick this one family?  

• Like 2

The cliche often trotted out is "the special relationship between the two countries." I think that's a WWII thing but might go all the way back to being a former colony.

People used to say that celebrities were the American version of royalty, since we didn't have our own. 

There's probably a decent percentage of people who probably wish we had ceremonial royalty. (Ironically, prob the type who have Don't Tread On Me flags.)