DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Skullzi threw some shade but here is what Jason posted at Resetera:

-Can confirm that Hevy008 was legit. Can't necessarily back up everything they said, but they were definitely who they said they were. Hope the lawyers aren't going after them.
-I texted that Skullzi list of bullet points to a source who'd know and they responded "Bullshit."
-Skullzi has also been wrong in the past (like most Bethesda "insiders," all of whom were spreading misinfo about Starfield's release date) https://twitter.com/skullzitv/status/1394029472031072265
-Yup there are (at least) two Warcraft mobile games in development. One Pokemon Go, one other Clash-ish one. Heard good things about both.

The link:  Xbox Game Studios & Bethesda Softworks | OTXVIII | An Obscure And Unpopular Thread Title | Page 78 | ResetEra

Apparently this Hevy008 guy does not exactly know what signing an NDA means.  Skullzi deleted the Tweet that Jason put in his post.

Edited by J.T.

Sorry. I'm confused. So it looks more and more likely that Starfield's game engine is poop (which wouldn't be surprising) or that it isn't (which would be surprising).

I might be the outlier on this board that thinks the Bethesda/Skyrim/Fallout game engine that I'm sure some version is being used for Starfield is just dogshit and it only gets worse.

I think the general consensus was that “the engine is shit” was basically “the engine is shit to develop with” not “it’s gonna be shit for gamers”. Which, even still, doesn’t inspire a ton of faith, since if it’s hard to develop for/with… can’t be THAT fun for gamers.

Either way, it’ll likely be Day One with Gamepass so it’s not like I’m dripping $60-70 for it.

So they're probably just using some variant of the same bullshit Skyrim engine that gets more bugged to fuck with every new generation and game. That's...concerning.

But I did forget it's on Game Pass so I'll still give it a shot, but I was really hoping this would be a good alternative to No Man's Sky with an emphasis on narrative.

Folks are finally getting their hands on the Overwatch 2 beta and early word is.... it is more Overwatch

I saw one description of it as "it is what would happen if the original got 2-3 years worth of patches and balancing"

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

So they're probably just using some variant of the same bullshit Skyrim engine that gets more bugged to fuck with every new generation and game. That's...concerning.

This has been known for years now. That said, it supposedly had a lot of upgrades. 

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

This has been known for years now. That said, it supposedly had a lot of upgrades. 

Feels like part of the problem is they keep kludging new parts onto an engine that wasn't so hot to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

About 6 minutes of new Skull & Bones footage leaked online so Ubisoft put up a tease that an update will be officially released soon

I guess they are claiming that game is still gonna come out

49 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Feels like part of the problem is they keep kludging new parts onto an engine that wasn't so hot to begin with.

Pretty much this. That game engine has been busted for a long time now. Adding more crap to it just makes it worse.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Developing and/or working with a new engine takes time they don't have. There is also something about the style and ease of creation it allows them to do.

It's rumored/pretty much accepted as fact that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Remastered will be out around the same time as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.

I'm legitimately confused at this point that Activision didn't go the "God of War Ragnarok" route of naming the sequel: Why not Call of Duty: Going Dark? Or something referenced in the reboot game?

On 4/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Casey said:

I think the general consensus was that “the engine is shit” was basically “the engine is shit to develop with” not “it’s gonna be shit for gamers”. Which, even still, doesn’t inspire a ton of faith, since if it’s hard to develop for/with… can’t be THAT fun for gamers.

I am not sure if I buy this argument. There were whole systems that were a hell to develop for (PS3 seems to be the standard answer, at least among more modern systems, among older systems, I know that the Sega Saturn has the reputation of being a highly complex system, so complex, that many developers just skipped it) and developers managed to develop lots of classics on those systems.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, Craig H said:

Pretty much this. That game engine has been busted for a long time now. Adding more crap to it just makes it worse.

It is too bad that the assholes at Bungie have not figured out that the best way to fix Destiny 2 is to make Destiny 3.

16 hours ago, JLSigman said:

The goblin blood libel game?

Well...the game looks impressive (imho) especially because it recreates so well the world of the HP saga, at least from what you can see in this video.

There are still some months (the game should be released around Christmas) to refine it and even make some changes to the plot.

About the Goblin rebellions, I think this article might interest you (at least I hope so ^^)

https://gamerant.com/hogwarts-legacy-villain-choice-goblin-controversy-explained/