DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2022 & Beyond)

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I wish I had the optimism of the people who think it is coming out in 2022

Starfield comes out close to my birthday so I know it will be delayed.

The next gen release of Cyberpunk 2077 should come out in 2077.

Man, no love for Stranger of Paradise?  Let's be honest.  We're going to give Squeenix our money whether we admit it or not.

My list so far for 2022.  Only games with confirmed release day & dates.

Jan - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Feb - Life is Strange Remastered Collection, Dying Light 2, Sifu, maybe OlliOlli World, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, King of Fighters XV

March - The Cruel King & the Great Hero, Gran Turismo 7, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Remastered, Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise, maybe Tiny Tina's Wonderland & Tunic

May - Forspoken

November - Starfield

Really hyped for most of those titles.

If I had to pick the AA/AAA game least likely to actually make it out the door in 2022, BotW2 would probably be my guess.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Man, no love for Stranger of Paradise?  Let's be honest.  We're going to give Squeenix our money whether we admit it or not.

My list so far for 2022.  Only games with confirmed release day & dates.

Jan - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Feb - Life is Strange Remastered Collection, Dying Light 2, Sifu, maybe OlliOlli World, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, King of Fighters XV

March - The Cruel King & the Great Hero, Gran Turismo 7, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Remastered, Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise, maybe Tiny Tina's Wonderland & Tunic

May - Forspoken

November - Starfield

Really hyped for most of those titles.

If I had to pick the AA/AAA game least likely to actually make it out the door in 2022, BotW2 would probably be my guess.

I'm likely getting Stranger of Paradise but I feel I would have to play Nioh 1 & 2 first before I tackle it. Also, don't forget the memes.

Anytime you hear CHAOS, you drink a potion. : r/FinalFantasy

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Don't really have much interest in Eldeen Ring.  "Dark Souls Gameplay" is kind of a dealbreaker with me.  I've got better things to do than rage about unforgiving and unyielding gameplay.

I understand where you are coming from as it can be a really frustrating game, but I will say that once I got the formula down it was much easier. In Dark Souls 2 and 3 I'd go hours without dying on my first playthroughs if I was being careful. I'd still get super annoyed when I did die, don't get me wrong, but I had a character I was good at and went at the right pace to not get surprised by sneaky enemies.

I say this as someone that couldn't "get" Bloodborne as I couldn't do my usual character in that game and I sucked. So I am hoping Elden Ring is closer to Dark Souls than Bloodborne ?

• Like 1

I haven't honestly got mad at dying in those games for ages. Once it dawns on you the YOU DIED screen is a lie and there is literally no permanent fail state, I started viewing most deaths as an opportunity to learn and improve, and that's when things took off to the point where I'm That Annoying Soulsborne Living Encyclopedia Guy.

I mean, I beat Tales of Maj'Eyal, which is a turn based RPG that is a legit YOU DIED GAME OVER game, Soulsbornes are gentle as hell by comparison. (It's also a one man project, and legit one of the most impressively thought out games I've ever seen. A masterwork.)

• Like 1

I’ve been bored looking for a new game to play so I’ve gone back to Dark Souls for a 3rd play through. Especially with a Sorcery build the game is really not that difficult, I think I’ve one shotted every boss until Manus and Kalameet in the DLC. Homing soulmass and soul spear made O&S an absolute joke. Walkthroughs also greatly mitigate the difficulty, but sorcery is no doubt the easy mode. 2 is the only Souls game I would describe as cheap and frustrating. Bloodborne is my favorite and has the best combat, but also very easy to get OP if you want, with easy exp grinding and weapon buffs in the chalice dungeons. It’s crazy to me that these games are now downright relaxing for me to play, because I usually am more into Stardew Valley type games where my brain can shut off and not get frustrated from dying. I’m super hyped for Elden Ring, it’ll be the first Souls game I play at launch, just hope it’s way more like Dark Souls than Sekiro for combat, as Sekiro was way too reaction speed reliant for me. 

Pokémon Legends Arceus is the only other game on that list I know much about, I was a big fan of Pokémon and the competitive battling scene up until the 3DS era where the games started feeling really low effort and dumbed down even for a series designed for kids. People seemed hyped for this game and I have to wonder what GameFreak has done recently that would suggest anything they do is more than a lazy, technically unimpressive cash grab. I really hope it’s a good game, but there’s no reason to suggest it should be. The world looks empty and soulless, a problem I had with Breath of the Wild, and this looks substantially emptier than that. 

Hogwarts Legacy seems really cool, but little info is out, and I’ll have to wait for reviews before I consider buying.

Sadly, my daughter is really, really looking forward to BotW 2 coming out this year all because of that video they put out mentioning a 2022 release. Telling her to not expect it this year made me feel bad.

I'm hoping we'll hear more about an actual release date for LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga. The game got pushed back twice and has a nebulous "Spring 2022" release window. I would want to hear about something before or on "May the 4th 2022" or even a release date for the game on that day, but I'm starting to wonder if the game got canceled.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm hoping we'll hear more about an actual release date for LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga. The game got pushed back twice and has a nebulous "Spring 2022" release window. I would want to hear about something before or on "May the 4th 2022" or even a release date for the game on that day, but I'm starting to wonder if the game got canceled.

I don't know if this will comfort you or not but the game has been getting rated in various countries - it just got rated by Germany like a day or two ago.

Granted it still hasn't been rated by PEGI or ESRB but still

• Like 2

Well Sony just announced Horizon: Call of the Mountain as a launch title for the PSVR2, so I guess I’m buying their VR rig when it comes out. It has a resolution of 2000x2040 per eye, 4K HDR, and an OLED display. The controllers have haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, like the DualSense.

It’s still wired, but at least it’s only one single wire this time around.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well Sony just announced Horizon: Call of the Mountain as a launch title for the PSVR2, so I guess I’m buying their VR rig when it comes out. It has a resolution of 2000x2040 per eye, 4K HDR, and an OLED display. The controllers have haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, like the DualSense.

It’s still wired, but at least it’s only one single wire this time around.

I just hope I can find one, I'm pretty good when it comes to getting 'new' things that bots love but if its one of those situations where I have to devote my life to it I'm probably going to lose interest.

• Like 1

Yeah considering how hard it was to find a PS5, I'm hoping Sony makes it easier to pick up the PSVR2 in stores. I'm not doing this whole dance again of waiting on a website to drop batches of the item for purchase.

Come to think of it, I don't get how in 2022 (two years after it's release), we're not able to walk into a store to buy a PS5 (yes I know about supply chain issues and chip shortage, but the retailers can do it).

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Come to think of it, I don't get how in 2022 (two years after it's release), we're not able to walk into a store to buy a PS5 (yes I know about supply chain issues and chip shortage, but the retailers can do it).

No, no one can deal with the supply chain issues for semi-conductors. Even big industries like car manufacturers had to reduce their production. In certain industries, you can try to "kill" the problem with money (e.g. pay something like $ 200 for a chip that used to cost a buck - this is no exaggeration, in our company we had cases like this), but this does not work for the mass market. Some companies (e.g. Apple) managed to buy a huge bulk of chips at the beginning of the crisis, thereby only increasing the issues for everybody else.

• Like 1

E3 will be online only again for 2022.

ESA is trying to claim it is due to the Omicron surge but a few video game reporters have noted they were told back in November that the switch was happening and that the ESA had given up the dates at the LACC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

E3 will be online only again for 2022.

ESA is trying to claim it is due to the Omicron surge but a few video game reporters have noted they were told back in November that the switch was happening and that the ESA had given up the dates at the LACC

E3 isn't confirming that there will be an online show this year.  Most sites are just assuming there will be.  The statement from the ESA merely says that the in-person show will not happen but that the ESA is excited about the future of E3 and will release more info soon.  IGN and a few other sites tried to confirm that an online showcase will happen later this year and were told that the ESA couldn't confirm that.

The official statement seems to be largely spin.  A number of journalists in my Twitter feed are saying they heard whispers that E3 was canceled in November and suspected as much well before that.  The ESA never announced definite dates for the show and the show never appeared on the LACC's official calendar.  

Lucid Games has been removed as the development team of the Twisted Metal reboot by Sony

Reportedly Sony has moved it to "one of its first-party studios in Europe.”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lucid Games has been removed as the development team of the Twisted Metal reboot by Sony

Reportedly Sony has moved it to "one of its first-party studios in Europe.”

This doesn't bode well for Destruction All Stars, which tells me I need to hurry up and Platinum it.