DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 12/17/21

Technico Support

I completely forgot Rampage was on last night so I just watched it. 

- Bucks match was a Bucks match. Trent BARETTA? made me think out loud: Fucking wrestlers. "I just got neck surgery, powerbomb me on the apron!" Orange vs. Cole is gonna be money. 

- Submission match still had to have a reverse stunner in it (I wasn't expecting Volk Han but c'mon) but was fine, some really sick subs actually. Guessing the next one is a No DQ?

- Main was hurt real bad by the commercial break and the pinfall. What can you do. We can still get a lot of good matches out of this group of guys. 

- Cody is gonna leech heat off not just Lambert but his brother too ?

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I want Kingston vs Miro in a "Your God doesn't love you" based blood feud.

Miro bemoaning his fallen status as "God's Champion" while Eddie can talk about how God gives you the opportunity but YOU have to take it.

Eddie going into more detail about his struggles and hard work paying off while Miro has millions of dollars, a gorgeous wife & the nerve to sit back and complain about how "bad" he's got it.

The promos alone would be worth a few months of build up before letting them loose, maybe inside a steel cage.

I was really hoping that program would have gone past All Out. I guess Miro's hurt? He hasn't been around much and had his leg taped for the Danielson match. Anything King has done has been outstanding though. I love how whenever he has to deal with 2.0 he doesn't hold back, even with last night's "ARE YOU DONE, ARE YOU DONE!"

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Another solid hour of wrestling.  Opener was really good but Trent landing on his neck after getting swept off of the top turnbuckle really freaked me out.

The battle between Ford's pro wrestling subs and Conti's BJJ subs was better than I expected it to be.

Main event was also pretty awesome.  Looking forward to Luchas dropping the tag title to Jurassic Express at Battle of the Belts.. hopefully.

I still think their run has some legs in it. When they do drop it down the line, I'm more hoping it's to Santana and Ortiz.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I completely forgot Rampage was on last night so I just watched it. 

- Bucks match was a Bucks match. Trent BARETTA? made me think out loud: Fucking wrestlers. "I just got neck surgery, powerbomb me on the apron!"

I was thinking the same thing. I'll just never understand it. The first thing Trent did upon this return was hit a spear. Then in this match he takes an apron powerbomb, which at least looked somewhat protected, the he hits a spear, and later he gets pulled off the top rope and the back of his head hits the top turnbuckle and his head whiplashes forward. Like, the fuck are you doing man? You're going to be retired within a year. Change up your style. 

That said, that opening match brought a huge smile to my face multiple times. The Best Friends is still probably my favorite stable in AEW if just because their matches always make me happy.

Main event went by pretty fast and I thought the finish sucked. I'm kinda tired of Eddie getting jobbed out. Dude has more than earned a Mick Foley run with the AEW championship or the TNT championship at the very least.

And man, Fenix is just fucking shot. Maybe it's just me, but over the last few months I've noticed that Fenix is looking more and more, um, not out of shape and not exactly flabby, but he's put on weight and doesn't look as defined. I wonder if he's just so broken down that he can't put in the time in the gym. In this match he had that burst to start, that lasted maybe less than 5 minutes, and then he looked like he was done. It reminded me of the stories of how Eddie Guerrero would be in tons of pain in the back and would be laid out until it was time for his match, he'd go out and wrestle, get right to the back and then practically collapse from how bad he was hurting. Plus, Fenix had a really noticeable limp at the very end. 

I know folks want to see the Jurassic Express win the titles, but I'm hoping they lose and it's Santana and Ortiz that win the titles next. The one upside to JE winning is that hopefully it will give Fenix an opportunity to take some time off. 

• Like 5

FTR should get a proper run instead of the transition run they had.

Santana/Ortiz are overdue to get a run themselves.

JE getting a run would be a good way to raise Jungle Boy's profile (which I gather is still one of their long term plans)

Barring significant injury and/or major roster shakeups (i.e. adding The Briscoes) you could probably cover the next 18-24 months with those 3 teams being Tag Team Champions in some order

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot to mention that the trailer for whatever the Oregon Trail show is made me look this up. 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28968/where-are-they-now-diseases-killed-you-oregon-trail

YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY. 

On a side note to that, if you came upon this grave...

foone on Twitter: "BTW, the story behind "here lies andy: peperony and  chease" is interesting too. So, when you die, the game doesn't just let you  make a grave and show it

... It means your school pirated the game.

• Haha 1

There was some "Tony said sell" Young Bucks shit, but Adam Cole brought his a-game. Pretty fun match. I imagine KOR will debut when Orange and Cole meet next week.

Tay Conti is maybe the loveliest human alive. She seems like such a good person. I hate that she's taking heat she doesn't deserve over Sammy and his fiancee breaking up. What a fun little submission match.

Main was good. Eddie Kingston is a goddamned star. Put the title on him. P&P deserve a run with the tag titles. Daniel Garcia will be one of the guys that carries AEW 5-10 years from now.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

FTR should get a proper run instead of the transition run they had.

Santana/Ortiz are overdue to get a run themselves.

JE getting a run would be a good way to raise Jungle Boy's profile (which I gather is still one of their long term plans)

Barring significant injury and/or major roster shakeups (i.e. adding The Briscoes) you could probably cover the next 18-24 months with those 3 teams being Tag Team Champions in some order

Agree with all of that, but I also think the Best Friends could use a title win, even if they don’t get too far with defenses, just to give them a little more credibility. 

I don’t like Pentagon much, Fenix is great but I’ve also noticed he seems to have slowed down a notch, but in general they seemed like a better team for the chase than for actually defending the belts long term. P&P are so great and have unfortunately been attached to Jericho’s act way too long, I can’t wait to see them win the tag titles and go their own way.

I would agree with JE deserving a title win and it felt like they were on track to be the ones to dethrone Young Bucks in the cage match, but obviously that spot went to Lucha Bros, and since then I’ve really soured on Luchasaurus. Dude’s just not doing it for me and hasn’t evolved at all (no pun intended)

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 1

I want the next two AEW World Tag Team Champions to be #FTR and Santana/Ortiz. #FTR should have beat the Lucha Brothers for them at Full Gear or last week's Rampage. #FTR are so overdue a long reign with them. Best tag team in the world since 2016.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, just drew said:

Tay Conti is maybe the loveliest human alive. She seems like such a good person. I hate that she's taking heat she doesn't deserve over Sammy and his fiancee breaking up.

Well we don’t know really, heat could be deserved or not.

Submission match was pretty fun and made Tay look like a beast compared to Penelope, she pretty much dominated the whole way through. Not only submissions but her strikes are probably the best in the women’s division.

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

Well we don’t know really, heat could be deserved or not.

Submission match was pretty fun and made Tay look like a beast compared to Penelope, she pretty much dominated the whole way through. Not only submissions but her strikes are probably the best in the women’s division.

She doesn’t deserve heat either way, and it feels misogynistic to suggest she does.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

If there would BE a 5-10 years form now, in general, then absolutely.

If you’re referring to AEW having a long term future, I’d think that given how the respective owners feel about putting wrestling on tv, it’s more likely AEW is around in 10 years than wwe…

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

If you’re referring to AEW having a long term future, I’d think that given how the respective owners feel about putting wrestling on tv, it’s more likely AEW is around in 10 years than wwe…

No, I'm sure AEW will be around as long as there will be people watching...in general. I'm pretty sure there WILL be next 5 years, 10 might be pushing it, unfortunately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just drew said:

She doesn’t deserve heat either way, and it feels misogynistic to suggest she does.

Both Sammy and Tay would understandable get heat if it comes that he cheated or similar. I never said it would only be Tay at fault. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
53 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Both Sammy and Tay would understandable get heat if it comes that he cheated or similar. I never said it would only be Tay at fault. 

I'm still grasping at the concept as to 1) why this is any of our business and 2) why it would justify social media abuse.

11 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I'm still grasping at the concept as to 1) why this is any of our business and 2) why it would justify social media abuse.

Exactly. Why is it understandable that they would both get heat? Who fucking cares. That shit is their own business. Who they hang out with, fuck, flirt with, etc. is not deserving of any heat. For him, Tay, or anyone else. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I’ve not read any comments that people have made towards them, I assume the hate is taken to the extreme as it usually is online which is always over the top.

However they are celebrities in our business and that’s just what happens when anything like this breaks out. Specially when you are extremely active and public on social media, YouTube, etc like Sammy is. 

These guys chose to Vlog and document lots of stuff in their personal lives and they love the love they get for it. Unfortunately this also attracts negative comments when things are not going their way in their personal lives.

Im not commenting on the issue im just saying it’s just expected you’re going to have people voicing their opinions (positive or negative) on everything you do when you love sharing so much to the public.

Edited by eikerir

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Lesson learned, do not propose in a public setting

I wish someone gave me that advice in 2013. Proposing at Yankee Stadium seemed like a good idea. ?

Le sigh

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being in the public eye is hard enough; the combo of social media, vlogs, etc. makes for some truly easy targets.  Roddy Piper kept his family so far off the reservation in Oregon back in the day - he knew being the son or daughter of his public persona was not going to be easy. 

Tay from all accounts looks to be a fantastic person - Sammy deserves some privacy but he has put his private life out there a good bit.  There is something that happened and we deserve zero and I mean nothing of an explanation, Tay deserves nothing from this but that's not how the world works these days. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
35 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I’ve not read any comments that people have made towards them, I assume the hate is taken to the extreme as it usually is online which is always over the top.

However they are celebrities in our business and that’s just what happens when anything like this breaks out. Specially when you are extremely active and public on social media, YouTube, etc like Sammy is. 

These guys chose to Vlog and document lots of stuff in their personal lives and they love the love they get for it. Unfortunately this also attracts negative comments when things are not going their way in their personal lives.

Im not commenting on the issue im just saying it’s just expected you’re going to have people voicing their opinions (positive or negative) on everything you do when you love sharing so much to the public.

Yeah, I'm sorry, "you should expect to be abused if you share things with the public" is not reasonable behavior.

People who have a parasocial relationship with celebrities and think they are free to abuse them for not living up to the standards they created for said celebrities in their head should consider whether they should be using social media.

Sammy Guevara and Tay Conti are being abused because people THINK that Sammy cheated on his fiancee with Tay. Not that it happened. People THINK it happened. What possible justification is there for that? And why are we making it?