DVDVR Message Board

What show should I binge next and why?

BrianS81177

What show should I binge next?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these series should I binge watch next?

• Mad Men
    • Better Call Saul
    • Breaking Bad
    • Sons Of Anarchy
    • Archer
    • Boardwalk Empire
    • True Detective
    • Westworld
    • The Man In The High Castle

I've got a good amount of free time on my hands currently, so I decided to fill some of it catching up on shows/movies I've never seen but always meant to. Over the years I've been told how I HAVE to see these shows but I've just never gotten around to it other than a couple episodes of Boardwalk Empire, Westworld and Man in the High Castle. So of these which should be my next binge? Any I shouldn't bother with?

The only two legitimately worth the time start to finish are Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Just watch the first seasons of True Detective and Westworld. SOA got boring after season 2. Boardwalk Empire was good but not great. I should watch the last season of High Castle but I didn't remember the details of the prior seasons, and I never got around to rewatching them. Better Call Saul is the only one I haven't watched at least some of.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

I feel like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are far and away the best shows on that list, so maybe start with one of those? If you like BB, continue on with Saul, which some people would argue is better (it might be, depending on how it ends) but you should absolutely not watch first, despite it being a prequel.

With True D, you can watch the first season and safely walk away, knowing that you haven’t missed anything else of consequence.

Westworld is super divisive, and you will know after the first season if you’re in or out. Trust that instinct. The show is going to keep being exactly that.

Boardwalk is the kind of show that would be great if you could just pick and choose which characters’ stories you want to watch. There are usually 1 or 2 plot lines in each season that are worth your time. But then there are half a dozen others that really aren’t.

I watched the first season of Man in the High Castle and really didn’t like it at all.

Sons has like two good seasons and then gradually turns into an unintentional comedy over, like, 6 more agonizing seasons.

Edited by EVA

Breaking Bad: This was my pick.  GREAT show, start to finish.  Not a bad episode (a lot of people disliked "Fly" but I thought it was fine), no time wasted.

Better Call Saul: Watch after Breaking Bad.

Mad Men: Good show but I feel like it got a bit long in the tooth and overstayed its welcome.  Still very good, though.

Westworld: divisive.  You'll like it a whole lot, or not.  I enjoyed it but yeah, the mystery box shit and time jumping trickery grows tiresome.  The latest season was just maybe above average.

True Detective: Season 1 is great.  I've heard season 2 is not.  Haven't seen season 3.

Sons Of Anarchy, Archer, Boardwalk Empire: watched one episode, not my thing

The Man In The High Castle: read the book, haven't seen the show

Edited by Technico Support

True Detective S3 is really good but it is very dependent on Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff for the heavy lifting.  If you were a fan of the quasi-supernatural things going on in S1, then S3 may disappoint you as it is very grounded in real world procedurals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

If you have access to AMC+, I will further complicate your life and say that you should watch Gangs of London and Kin.

I don't but I'm sure they have a free trial I can sign up for. 

Watched Episode 1 of Breaking Bad and yeah, I'm definitely intrigued. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Breaking Bad: This was my pick.  GREAT show, start to finish.  Not a bad episode (a lot of people disliked "Fly" but I thought it was fine), no time wasted.

"Fly" was awful. Just saying. ?

But "Breaking Bad" was my pick, too. 

• Haha 1

Speaking of, how does one watch BCS if it’s not on your streaming service?  I switched to Hulu with live tv because Sling was having issues, but Hulu doesn’t have AMC so it would appear no Saul for me next season.   Does Saul air delayed, like a few days later, on AMC+ or something?  Or am I SOL and need to wait until it’s on Netflix?

8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Halfway through season 3. Those creepy mexican hitman brothers just killed Hank

Did you realize the titles of S2 episodes 1, 4, 10, & 13 add up to "737 down over ABQ?"  ?

Also, as someone watching the show for the first time, how do you feel about Walter White now?  The show tried to pull off a neat trick where Walter gets more detestable as time goes on, essentially going from protagonist to antagonist, and his motivations change ("I need to take care of my family" became "I'm a sad little man who defeated himself at every turn in life, but I  finally found something I'm the best at and I don't want to stop because it feeds my ego") but I'm not sure how many people really got that because they got so wrapped up in antihero false badassery.

Edited by Technico Support

Yeah I can definitely see him beginning to enjoy being Heisenberg. I'm finished with Season 3 (I didn't think "Fly" was bad) and about to start season 4. So many great performances on this show. Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks are all tremendous. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, Tabe said:

"Fly" was awful. Just saying. ?

But "Breaking Bad" was my pick, too. 

I liked that episode, but I'm in the tank for Rian Johnson. I think he redeemed himself for those that didn't like it given the other episode of the series he directed (maybe the best one). 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I liked that episode, but I'm in the tank for Rian Johnson. I think he redeemed himself for those that didn't like it given the other episode of the series he directed (maybe the best one). 

I honestly don't pay any attention to who directs what with TV shows.  "Fly" is pretty much the only episode I didn't like.  It very much felt like an episode where the director and/or writers were creating to entertain themselves and doing a lot of navel-gazing.  I get why some liked it, but I sure didn't.

18 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Just finished season 4....

Reveal hidden contents

OH SHIT THEY BLEW CHICKEN MAN'S FACE CLEAN OFF!!

One of the all-time great moments in TV history.

• Like 1