DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

There was a guy in the crowd during the main event (might've been there all night, I didn't notice him before) over by the corner of the ring and the entranceway. He was wearing a baseball cap, shades and facial hair and every time the camera pointed in his direction he covered his face with a Michael Jackson magazine of all things (MJF = Michael Jackson Fan? I dunno, didn't get the reference). We thought for sure it was CM Punk in disguise, but wondering why nobody else in the crowd had spotted him and were reacting. Then Punk's music hit, he comes from the stage and we're left wondering "who the fuck was that guy then?"

Anyone else see him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Swift said:

There was a guy in the crowd during the main event (might've been there all night, I didn't notice him before) over by the corner of the ring and the entranceway. He was wearing a baseball cap, shades and facial hair and every time the camera pointed in his direction he covered his face with a Michael Jackson magazine of all things (MJF = Michael Jackson Fan? I dunno, didn't get the reference). We thought for sure it was CM Punk in disguise, but wondering why nobody else in the crowd had spotted him and were reacting. Then Punk's music hit, he comes from the stage and we're left wondering "who the fuck was that guy then?"

Anyone else see him?

Speaking of, there were quite a few douchey-looking guys wearing shades indoors. Leave that to Orange Cassidy and his cosplayers.

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know that the draw was planned for a while now but the idea of Ric Flair of telling people that Bryan Danielson is "a good hand" and an "okay wrestler" and then Bryan going 60 minutes without breaking a sweat is tremendous.  Talk about things that didn't age well at all

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am sure that is pretty bad at the WWE shows as well but we can't generally hear it as much.  Plus I have RAW most on mute because commentary is garbage ?

But between the Brandon chants that have lasted a good month, the homophobia among a few and the off and on fans talking about women's match being bathroom breaks;  the idea that AEW fans are more open minded is turning more and more into bullshit.   As people have mentioned on Twitter, I am sure a number of fans were extremely conflicted seeing CM Punk doing a run in in a pro-choice T shirt IN TEXAS 

The Lets go Brandon chants have been going on at literally every sporting event i've attended over the past 2 months. Hell as someone named Brandon it annoys even me. I'm not a Biden fan by any means but when I hear little kids chanting it and then saying "it means Fuck Joe Biden"  it really shows me how far down we have come as a country.

Anyhow back on topic,  I had a feeling the title match would go 60, I also had a feeling Sydal would reverse Wardlow's Power bomb into a pin which would cause friction between Spears and Wardlow. I was shocked it didn't happen. AEW doesn't always go with the obvious and I like that feeling of uncertainty. 

Really good women's match. If you are taking a bathroom break during an AEW women's match I really don't know what to say. 

6 man will be fun next week. 

Plus Cole's surprise next week which many are suggesting Kyle.  

AEW has been can't miss TV and I love it!! 

• Like 2

It kind of boggles my mind that there are apparently people who feel that Adam Page wasn't "made" as champion by that match.

Here's a complete, unabridged list of everything important that was lost by the match not ending in a clear Hangman victory:

A huge pop.

Here's a partial list of what was gained: 

Page is still champ.

Bryan's undefeated streak remains intact.

Respect was paid to pro wrestling tradition from the territory days.

We will get a rematch, which will sell a ton of tickets and draw a lot of eyes, and give us another great match to enjoy where the outcome is in doubt until the final bell.

It was absolutely the right call to go 60.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Here's a complete, unabridged list of everything important that was lost by the match not ending in a clear Hangman victory:

A huge pop.

Here's a partial list of what was gained: 

Page is still champ.

I think that one's a push. Page would still be champ if he had pinned Danielson too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The Lets go Brandon chants have been going on at literally every sporting event i've attended over the past 2 months. Hell as someone named Brandon it annoys even me. I'm not a Biden fan by any means but when I hear little kids chanting it and then saying "it means Fuck Joe Biden"  it really shows me how far down we have come as a country.

Anyhow back on topic,  I had a feeling the title match would go 60, I also had a feeling Sydal would reverse Wardlow's Power bomb into a pin which would cause friction between Spears and Wardlow. I was shocked it didn't happen. AEW doesn't always go with the obvious and I like that feeling of uncertainty. 

Really good women's match. If you are taking a bathroom break during an AEW women's match I really don't know what to say. 

6 man will be fun next week. 

Plus Cole's surprise next week which many are suggesting Kyle.  

AEW has been can't miss TV and I love it!! 

✊

• Like 1

I think the great aspect on the draw is that it was not a 'lucky' escape for Page. He didn't "fight to hold on".

He fucking SMASHED Bryan for the finals 60 seconds, to the point where he had the match won and was going to put a stamp on it with the Buckshot. Add 10 seconds to that match and he walks away the clear winner but now the HEEL Bryan gets whinge, sook and moan about how "Page couldn't beat me!" and keep angling for another match.

I think we run this back fairly soon (TBS Premier?) and Page goes over clean.

What Page does from there will be interesting. I could see Adam Cole going after him and this causing conflict with the Bucks. That would lead to Cole leaning more on the UE guys as back up before Kenny comes back for the Hollywood/Wolfpac storyline.

Or Miro could walk in and try to cripple him.

Or MJF/Punk call their shot.

Or Black.

Or Andrade.

Or a TV defence against guys like Wardlow, Sammy, Christian, Dante... shit, you could get an amazing little 2-4 week arc out of Page offering a match to members of the Dark Order. He'd simultaneously show Bryan that he's a fighting champ (calling back to the "I wrestled the next night" promo) while also giving those who supported him the most a shot at something that would, ordinarily, be out of reach.

So. Many. Options.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 8

Not to get on a thing but why not say “fuck go Joe Biden”? What’s with the code words? 

That being said what a fun as episode of Dynamite. Page vs Danielson was epic. Wardlow is turning on MJF in the CM Punk match isn’t he? Also I thought Dante was gonna finally win the big one against MJF I guess he’s gonna be the one taking the FTW title off of Starks now.

• Like 1

Not much to add, that match was incredible.

I was struck by the entrances. Danielson got a mild reaction. But then Hangman got a big time pop. Not sure why but I had been feeling the crowd has cooled off on him, but this was my ah-ha moment that Page does need a good run here to not sour the fans' good will. Speaking of the fans, I think that audience deserves some props (no not the dipshit with the lets go brandon deal). They sat through an hour long match and they were up and reacting to all of it. It elevated the match for me, just in the same way a bad crowd can detract from a match. Big sustained reactions and investment for an hour straight is A LOT to ask for from a modern American audience. So just think they deserve some credit here.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Not to get on a thing but why not say “fuck go Joe Biden”? What’s with the code words? 

Going to spoiler this in case no one wants or cares to know.

Spoiler

NASCAR race in October at Talladega. Reporter is interviewing winner Brandon Brown after the race on live TV when crowd starts chanting "Fuck Joe Biden!". The reporter incorrectly tells the viewers that the crowd is chanting "Let's go Brandon!" instead. From there, it just took off.

Just now, Peck said:

Hide contents

NASCAR race in October at Talladega. Reporter is interviewing winner Brandon Brown after the race on live TV when crowd starts chanting "Fuck Joe Biden!". The reporter incorrectly tells the viewers that the crowd is chanting "Let's go Brandon!" instead. From there, it just took off.

Oh so it’s the medias fault!!!!!!! I roll my eyes at all this goofy shit. Ronald Reagan and Tip  O’Neil we’re friends what ever happened to agreeing to disagree. I digress.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I feel like this should lead to a Julia Hart heel turn.  When Griff said,  "she's our sister," I thought to myself, there is no way whatsoever a man hanging around a woman who looks like that refers to her as a sister unless it's his actual real life sister. This should turn into her leading him around by his nose while referring to him as bro as we watch his heartbreak over and over like Bart Simpson watched Ralph Wiggum.

and no House Of Black/Mist-ification should even be necessary:

"SISTER?  I was actually into you, you know. But you want to humiliate me on national television like that?  Sister?  Okay then, "bro", listen up, because it's like this.  Nobody friendzones Julia Hart and gets away with it, you understand that, dork?  No-Buh-Dee.  You're about to learn that the hard way."

Then she sics a new heel team on the VBs, or even split the team up if they wanna experiment with Pilmancito as a heel.  Hell, go really old fashioned and do what Jimmy Hart did when Bret & Anvil turned face:  "I'm still your contracted manager, so I'm gonna keep turning up ringside during your bouts and give all your opponents the scouting report until one of them runs you two goofs out of here for good" until she can settle on a heel team she fits with.

• Like 2

Had to see the last 40 minutes tonight and holy fuckballs that was an incredible show.  A ***** match to start followed by some damn good matches throughout.  And my wife always liked Punk but after seeing his shirt she became a super fan.  Him wearing that in Texas is a helluva move though it was a steady progression for us realizing what it was.  We went from "What does that say?" to "Oh, I see now." to "OH, HOLY SHIT!"  A lot can be said about Punk but really cool seeing him wear that.

As for the results I'm very happy with the Broadway and it had the visual of Hangman about to win before time ran out.  And as much as I like Dante MJF winning works so he can use it more to cheat.  And my goodness Deeb/Shida is always welcome on my TV as I think it's impossible for them to have a bad match.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

and no House Of Black/Mist-ification should even be necessary:

"SISTER?  I was actually into you, you know. But you want to humiliate me on national television like that?  Sister?  Okay then, "bro", listen up, because it's like this.  Nobody friendzones Julia Hart and gets away with it, you understand that, dork?  No-Buh-Dee.  You're about to learn that the hard way."

Then she sics a new heel team on the VBs, or even split the team up if they wanna experiment with Pilmancito as a heel.  Hell, go really old fashioned and do what Jimmy Hart did when Bret & Anvil turned face:  "I'm still your contracted manager, so I'm gonna keep turning up ringside during your bouts and give all your opponents the scouting report until one of them runs you two goofs out of here for good" until she can settle on a heel team she fits with.

25 minutes ago, Peck said:

Reveal hidden contents

I still remember my favorite time of an announcer covering up a vulgar chant. The announcer was Lynn Swann. It was the wonderful USFL. The game featured the Jacksonville Bulls. The fans were going with a bullshit chant after a referee call. Swann said that the fans were supporting the home team with a chant of Bulls Hit.

Those Brandon people are idiots though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 3:55 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just got home from work. I can't wait to settle in and enjoy the show.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:01 AM, The Natural said:

In for a treat, pal!

Same for SturmRCF but I won't tag him so he's not spoiled.

Hope you enjoyed!

Most of the people critical about the match going to a draw doesn't necessarily mean that they believe it's a bad finish. People have to realize that AEW is in a different 'Universe' than WWE. They are ReEducating their Audience with their booking but at the same time I believe that the fans expect  a winner and a loser in AEW world title matches. I'm as big of a Dragon mark as any one but I wanted Page to go over.in his first defense  but I wasn't upset about the draw. If Dragon had won the title you'd see more criticism of AEW and Khan not getting behind Page and being a Mark for Bryan. I kinda felt like I was also a Tribute to Ring of Honors 1 hour matches 

• Like 2

Twitter wants you to think this one draw is as bad as all the WWE DQ finishes put together, and not having a "clean" finish means the match was a waste.

I've also seen lots of people on Facebook say AEW runs through feuds too quickly.

I wonder if they're the same people.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Okay, Hangman goes through the table on the outside and sells his arm. After the commercial, Hangman hits multiple lariats but they have no effect. Excalibur says "The lariat doesn't have the effect because Danielson put in all that work on the right arm of Hangman."  Danielson cuts off the lariats by kicking Hangman's arm, then does it again.  I'm thinking "Wow, Hangman can't use the Buckshot now, what will he do?"

They go to the top, Danielson tries a backdrop suplex but Hangman lands on his feet, and flattens Danielson with a discus lariat using that same right arm. His arm is immediately fine again for the rest of the match because why?  Magic?

I like that Hangman had to throw a haymaker to get any power behind it. Fit the moment for me and added to the story they were telling

Thought Page sold the body shots well too, but I do wish he had sold the leg a bit early on. 

Incredible stuff. Hard to get into the rest of the show after that. Still find it hard to believe that the best pro wrestler who has ever lived is being allowed to tell in-ring stories however he wants on national tv. Just an incredible time to be one of those wrestling fans who spent way too much on ROH dvds in 2004.

• Like 4

Going into the title fight, having read many finish ideas, they pulled one out that was unexpected and brilliant.  I'd be on board with the Hangman draw is a mistake had they not had him hit that incredible buckshot making it plainly obvious he was about to win.  One of the best finishes this company has ever done.  So many ways to go from here.  

That said, some concerned chaos post match might help sell these draws.  I'd love to see two medical teams checking on each of the competitors.  Maybe even full on Rocky I/II and pay top dollar for a Bill Conti score.  Lastly, just a reminder, when you start with the main event there's opportunity for updates on said match throughout the rest of the show (see any classic SNME), and they'd be smart to do that.  A simple update outside the wrestler's dressing room, a nice highlight package of said match in hour 2 etc.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1