DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - WINTER IS COMING - 12/15/2021

I think that was my favorite match in AEW history and my MOTY. I'll have to watch Cody vs Dustin again to confirm.

Rest of the show was great. Wardlow turning on MJF is going to rule. Serena Deeb should be champ and Dante Martin is a star. Plus the announcements of the upcoming Rampage and Dynamites had me really looking forward to the next few weeks. That was as close to a perfect 2 hour wrestling program as I've seen in quite some time. It's so nice ending a show being excited for the future. AEW has made wrestling so much better.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 9

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If you had gone back three years and told me "Hangman Page is going to go to an hour draw with Bryan Danielson and not look out of place one bit", I would've thought you were bananas.

And yet, it happened, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I hope folks don't lose how much tonight was about Hangman too. What a performance by that guy.

Just now, L_W_P said:

While I love the idea of more matches going to the draw, where do you go from here with Bryan v Page if not an immediate rematch?

Page sending Bryan to the 'back of the line' would look heelish, while Bryan doing anything but fighting for the title would feel like filler until he gets his rematch.

A heely-er heel jumps the line, turning Danielson back to face. Omega/Danielson didn't result in a rematch. Sounds like the obvious pro wrestling answer to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

While I love the idea of more matches going to the draw, where do you go from here with Bryan v Page if not an immediate rematch?

Yeah, I'm interested with where it goes from here too. It feels like holding off until the PPV is a bridge too far, but that's where it should happen. I'm fine with whatever they do and more than happy if we get to see these fuckers go another 60.

I feel like this had more old school psychology with the limb work than Omega/Danielson but I liked the urgency in the latter. I don't think I could pick between the two, I enjoyed them both immensely. The crowd in NYC was also on another level too. 

• Like 5

I said earlier today that Hangman had to beat Dragon tonight. I was wrong. THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZEBALLS. Do it one more time for the TBS debut!

Shida/Deeb was phenomenal as well. Just so great. Could see them wrestle every week.

Another super fun, super easy to enjoy 2 hours of pro wres ?

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I'm interested with where it goes from here too. It feels like holding off until the PPV is a bridge too far, but that's where it should happen. I'm fine with whatever they do and more than happy if we get to see these fuckers go another 60.

I feel like this had more old school psychology with the limb work than Omega/Danielson but I liked the urgency in the latter. I don't think I could pick between the two, I enjoyed them both immensely. The crowd in NYC was also on another level too. 

Yeah, it's a tough call between those two for MOTY. Both *****. Went with Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega as it was a dream match that delivered and featuring the in ring debut of Danielson.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A heely-er heel jumps the line, turning Danielson back to face. Omega/Danielson didn't result in a rematch. Sounds like the obvious pro wrestling answer to me.

Bryan calling for a rematch, only to be stomped by Miro would be perfectly fine with me. Run that back while Hangman defends against... someone?

Could they do a one off, champion v champion match with Sammy?

Can Black or Andrade step into a title program?

Let's be honest, AEW have 1000 stories to tell and main event matchups in reserve, that we can sit back and just enjoy this stuff. I'm super keen to see what'snext!

• Like 3

I was thinking going in with only 4 matches and one being a Wardlow squash that we might get a broadway, then seeing Hangman/Bryan was opening confirmed it. Though I did start to think Hangman was gonna pull the win in the final minute. as I wasn't certain they'd have a draw as Hangman's first defense. All time epic match regardless that was pretty much perfect. Loved it and a very memorable way to kick off a show and give it a different feel right off the bat.

Shida/Serena was awesome as expected. Two of my absolute favorites. Thought Punk would interfere to cost MJF his ring but it went the other way with interference costing Dante.

Love how so much continues to get set up for future shows with Holiday Bash, New Years/TNT Finale, TBS Premiere, Battle of the Belts, etc.. and even Rampage which looks like a fun lineup with a 10 man, 8 man, and submissions match. Punk/MJF made for a logical add to Sting/Darby vs FTR match since the regular tag already happened.

• Like 4

From his post All Out media availability:

You got me, and Darby, and Sting in a ring, and it’s legitimately three different generations and the knowledge of wealth he brings. It’s a bucket list item now. I think, for sure, down the line, we’re probably going to tag. That feels like there’s something there.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/09/cm-punk-talks-potential-dream-match-with-sting/

Coolcoolcool

• Like 6

Off the top of my head, Bryan Danielson 60 minutes Broadway matches:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe. ROH, 2006.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness. ROH, 2006.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Colt Cabana. ROH, 2006.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW, 2021.

Long Bryan Danielson matches, 40+ minutes:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Paul London. ROH, 2003.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Austin Aries. ROH, 2004.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong X2. ROH 2005.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong. ROH, 2006.
  • Daniel Bryan in the Greatest Royal Rumble. WWE, 2018.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. WWE, 2020.
Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Hangman’s bump off the top rope onto outside Lip of the ring followed by Danielson destroying his shoulder on the post was absolutely brutal. 

And did Taz say he squared off with Justin Liger?  I’d like to have a look at that tape

Here it be:

Enjoy!

Edited by The Natural
Misread post. 03:57am will do that to you.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And did Taz say he squared off with Justin Liger?  I’d like to have a look at that tape

Yeah, I had no idea they squared up but it's far from peak Taz, sadly.

15.11.1992: Jushin Thunder Liger defeats Tazmaniac (8:02) NJPW Wrestling Scramble 1992 - Day 5. Courtesy of Cagematch of course. There was a tag leading up to the singles with Pegasus Kid and Samurai thrown in the mix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loved Hangman repeatedly catching Danielson in the air and using his power to change momentum. Eventually Hangman goes for the counter again and Danielson is ready to land on his feet with a German Suplex. Around that moment Danielson Danielson kicks the post and Hangman uses his resourcefulness to now Target the leg. Hangman came across like a champ. I was in the Hangman needed to win camp, but I feel puts him across as someone truly special.

• Like 8

Did anybody else catch Bryan Danielson doing the Jumping Jacks while selling the injured leg? That's selling and keeping in character as Dickhead Danielson who still wanted to do them even with the bad leg. The GOAT.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just got home from work. I can't wait to settle in and enjoy the show.

In for a treat, pal!

Same for SturmRCF but I won't tag him so he's not spoiled.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Is that what that was, Brody King? If so, RAD... But Black and Swerve Strickland also hinted recently at a relationship. Maybe add Ember Moon... 

Looks like bodyslam.net is reporting that Brody King has indeed signed with AEW. He's been working with Black in PWG and this just makes all the sense in the world. I look forward to the war they will wage against the Blondes + all other preps until Malakai is eventually ousted by, I dunno, Robin Tunney. Stiff as a Hansen, light as a Kamala...

When the RoH news broke I was saying Brody and Rok-C need to be the first two talents AEW chases. Halfway there, baby!

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3