DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 15

Dolfan in NYC

BTW - since the NFL owners meetings are currently ongoing, reports are now coming out that they are engaged with the NFLPA to change the COVID protocols.

And one would assume it would be to allow asymptomatic vaccinated players who are COVID positive to keep playing or something along those lines - basically to make it "harder" to enter the protocol (or easier to get out). One thing could be the return of daily testing - which if I remember correctly - the players wanted in the first place.

HOWEVER - sources are making sure to already nip in the bud any reports that it would include a vaccine/booster mandate

• Like 1

The thing about coverups is that they work a lot better if you don't announce that you're covering things up.

So, "guys who test positive for COVID that are asymptomatic (however that will be defined) can play" could still go smoothly, but if it doesn't in some way, it'll be a PR mess from a league that has a history of ignoring health matters in the interests of keeping guys on the field.

Who knew that testing vaccinated guys primarily on Mondays could backfire if they test positive after having a chance to infect others the day before. I suspect that almost all of the possible infections would be intra-team, and that anybody going with "there's no evidence of infections during games" is ignoring that the league doesn't really have a reason to say "yeah, people got COVID while in a game because we test guys 6 days out from a game" because that isn't a great look.

I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs game tomorrow night got moved back, not because I think any of the Chiefs guys who are out will be available by Sunday, but because Thursday games usually suck. I doubt they'll postpone short of having their hand forced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

One thing could be the return of daily testing - which if I remember correctly - the players wanted in the first place.

Hey! I remembered something for once!

• Like 1

Ages ago it feels like - we talked about that the NFL was gonna let teams bid on international markets. Those bids were finally awarded

So now we should take bets on the first person affiliated with the Rams to say something pro-Hong Kong that scuttles the whole deal

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ages ago it feels like - we talked about that the NFL was gonna let teams bid on international markets. Those bids were finally awarded

So now we should take bets on the first person affiliated with the Rams to say something pro-Hong Kong that scuttles the whole deal

I feel like every team in Mexico that is not the Cowboys is like having a sixth toe on a foot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I feel like every team in Mexico that is not the Cowboys is like having a sixth toe on a foot. 

To be fair - at one point - the Raiders were WILDLY popular there too.

I don't know if that has died down between them sucking and going to Vegas but it isn't as absurd as like Denver being there

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - at one point - the Raiders were WILDLY popular there too.

I don't know if that has died down between them sucking and going to Vegas but it isn't as absurd as like Denver being there

The Steelers are also popular in Mexico, I'm surprised they didn't make a claim for Ireland.

Also, why wouldn't the Lions make a claim on Canada? Ford Field is about a mile from the border!

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Also....why wouldn't the Bills get Canada too?

Well again - teams had to place bids (and it appears that as long as you placed a bid you got it)

So the ones that don't appear are because the team didn't choose to bid

So to specifically answer your question - because the Bills ownership didn't "want" it (Now to be fair - they also could have felt like they didn't need it because they sell what they sell to Canada already)

• Like 2

The NFLPA trying to get the "we are the good guys trying to make it better" appeal doesn't work for me personally as if they really wanted to help contain team-wide outbreaks they'd have been ok with mandatory vaccines and now boosters. Imagine if all NFL players had gotten vaxxed early last summer and now could get boosters going into the playoffs, that would be nice, huh. Instead they just want more testing.

(I think daily testing is a good idea, its just their tone that made me shake my head a bit)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Meyer sounds like someone that has never been punched in the face when he deserved it, that would curb some of this behavior real quick.

Like Bill Burr says, the threat of getting your butt kicked is a strong deterrent for a lot of people.  Urb has apparently never faced that threat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Meyer sounds like someone that has never been punched in the face when he deserved it, that would curb some of this behavior real quick.

There's a (in)famous story around the Dolphins when Nick Saban was coaching for that one season.  He was chewing out Zach Thomas (of all people) and questioning his toughness.  Zach didn't take too well to that.  

He and Saban got right in each other's faces, and while Nick was yelling at him and threatening to cut him, Zach's response was to laughingly say "What are you gonna do?  I'm a grown ass man." 

Saban got the hint and backed down.  

Oh, and he almost got into a fight with Daunte Culpepper and they had to be separated by security.  

What I'm saying is this has extreme psycho-college coach vibes to it, and while you can get away with that shit when the players are 19 years old, it's a very, very different proposition when they're 29.  

• Like 3

Especially pre-free transfer period when you could threaten to take away their scholarship and at the very least sideline them for the entire next year.

I'm just glad Urban's holier than thou "people dislike Tim Tebow because they feel inadequate compared to how good he is" public persona has been absolutely shattered over the last several years.

• Like 2