DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

I get why Cal and Stanford might have a gentleman's agreement regarding their future plans and wanting to stay attached at the hip, but why exactly are Oregon State and Wazzu on the outside looking in? Are they really that much dead weight relative to everyone else?

WASHINGTON STATE! DUKE! 

YOUR 2025 ACC-PAC 12 ALLIANCE BOWL! 

As a fan of a school in the ACC I'm all for this! This would slot both conferences above what'll eventually be the Group of 6, even with the distance a Conference Championship Game in Las Vegas is a million times more appealing than one in Charlotte, this would be for football so the other sports wouldn't have to make trips like Miami to Pullman, and the biggie the Big 12 is pretty much the Mos Eisley of college sports and it would be gross to be affiliated with them.

In a move that probably should have been done before USC and UCLA left - the Pac 12 has pushed up its negotiations for it's media rights.

The Pac-12 is pushing up negotiations for its next media rights agreements in the wake of the decision by UCLA and USC to leave for the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 announced that its board of directors authorized negotiations after a meeting Tuesday morning.

The conference's current media rights deal expires in 2024, but the Pac-12 accelerated the timeline for negotiations for the next one with two of its marquee programs headed out the door.

UCLA and USC announced Thursday that they are leaving the conference for the Big Ten in 2024, knocking the Pac-12 out of the nation's second-largest media market.

The Pac-12 already had the lowest distribution number among Power Five schools, paying its member institutions $19.8 million in 2021, and losing the two Southern California schools would likely drop that number.

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

RIP Pac-12.

Kinda funny that it's the B12 killing them since it looked like the B12 might disappear not all that long ago. 

The Big12 minus UT & OU taking in UH, Cincy, and UCF was dumb and desperate at the time, and even more so now. Bet they wish they could call take backs on that.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pete said:

I get why Cal and Stanford might have a gentleman's agreement regarding their future plans and wanting to stay attached at the hip, but why exactly are Oregon State and Wazzu on the outside looking in? Are they really that much dead weight relative to everyone else?

WSU is, yeah. 

14 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Supposedly, UNC, Florida State, Virginia and Clemson have reached out to the SEC. 

I've been trying to look into that myself. Haven't seen anything serious reporting it yet. I'd believe it though. 

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So would I be right in thinking Miami would probably try to squeeze into the B1G, if the ACC's falling apart?   It'd seem to be a fit. 

I would have thought they would try to stay with FSU but clearly everything is getting blown the fuck up

I mean clearly UNC and Duke are gonna breakup and its gonna be weird

Yeah.  Duke and NC not playing each other in basketball is gonna suck, but hey, money's money.  

And I'd think if the ACC is indeed blowing up next,  Miami, Duke, Pitt, and BC would go with the the B1G.   

Though I could see Canes athletic dept do something idiotic like try to make a new conference.

Duke is an obvious fit in terms of educational standards and improves the basketball blueprint of the conference a ton if they were to join the Big Ten. But damn would Duke football in the Big Ten be weird.

• Like 1

I'm trying to wrap my head around there being a national championship with these super conferences. If this new rumor for ACC teams to the SEC is true, then you're going to have two prestige college football leagues...and, uh, the Big 12 I guess. SEC and B1G will just have both of their conference champions that may as well be a defacto National Champion unless you decide to do a bowl game between the B1G champion and the SEC champion.

Of course that raises obvious red flags in the event that one or both conferences have down years and you have an undefeated team from another conference.

Miami not being tied to any of this right now makes this a little bit more hilarious to me given they're FINALLY pretending like they're willing to invest in winning at football. Y'know, for real this time. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Supposedly, UNC, Florida State, Virginia and Clemson have reached out to the SEC. 

Has a legit source confirmed this? Some dude with a swimming blog was the one who first tweeted this rumor.

Also, wouldn’t the SEC be the ones reaching out to UNC & UVA? Purely to keep the B1G from taking them and getting a foothold in the south.

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Has a legit source confirmed this? Some dude with a swimming blog was the one who first tweeted this rumor.

Also, wouldn’t the SEC be the ones reaching out to UNC & UVA? Purely to keep the B1G from taking them and getting a foothold in the south.

Yeah that dude is the only one I have seen it from and since no one else has said anything in the couple of hours since....

Again don't always trust the blue check mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Legit sources? Ain't nobody got time for that. 

I don't know how the ACC teams can possibly get out of their ESPN contract without paying out hundreds of millions of dollars.  Th ACC TV rights deal is valid until 2036, it is at a huge discount compared to the other conferences and literally says, "Each of the Member Institutions acknowledges that the grant of Rights during the entire Term is irrevocable and effective until the end of the Term regardless of whether the Member Institution withdraws from the Conference during the term or ceases to participate as a member of the Conference."  That means that if they leave the conference all television rights would still go to ESPN and the money would get split between ACC teams...which will no longer include them.  So Clemson would play in the SEC, all their home games would be played on ESPN or the ACC Network, and that money would get split between the remaining ACC teams.   Just imagine what a lawyer can get from someone trying to leave a contract 14 years in advance when the contract literally states that it is irrevocable for the duration. If you're ESPN, how much would you accept to let someone out of that deal more than a decade before it expires?