DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF OFF-SEASON

EVA

Looks like OU is closing in on Brent Venables, which seemed like the obvious move once it was clear Stoops was going to be heavily involved in the search.

I doubt you’ll find many people who will quibble over this hire, given Venables’s distinguished history as a DC and his ties to Oklahoma...but there’s more than a whiff of “We got our feelings hurt when our coach left, so let’s hire somebody who makes us feel good about ourselves and will be all-caps LOYAL” and those hires rarely work out well in the long run.

• Like 1

If Miami succeeds in landing Mario, I think it will have a lot to do with landing Dan Radakovich, too. Miami needs a LOT of help catching up with where all the other elite football programs are right now, and Radakovich was a huge factor in how Clemson was able to make the leap to that level. He got shit done.

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Cristobal is a good hire for Miami in multiple ways, but the way they treated Diaz this weekend is beyond shitty.

Honestly - for me - it showed that Diaz really has no self respect for himself

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - for me - it showed that Diaz really has no self respect for himself

In fairness, I would publicly eat (metaphorical) shit for a weekend if it meant securing generational wealth for my family in the form of a multi-million dollar buyout, too.

• Like 1

I’ll say this for Diaz: the narrative coming out of this will probably be that he was a failure, but he seemed to be doing a just fine job at Miami. 12-5 in the ACC the past two years. Lost the star QB midway through the season and still found a way to win games. Overall record is skewed this year because they took early OOC losses to TWO teams who finished ranked the CFP Top 10 (but also scalped two ACC opponents who finished in the Top 20).

This whole turn of events probably doesn’t even happen if the Canes hold on against FSU. I think that really shifted perspective, internally, on what was otherwise a strong finish to the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I’ll say this for Diaz: the narrative coming out of this will probably be that he was a failure, but he seemed to be doing a just fine job at Miami. 12-5 in the ACC the past two years. Lost the star QB midway through the season and still found a way to win games. Overall record is skewed this year because they took early OOC losses to TWO teams who finished ranked the CFP Top 10 (but also scalped two ACC opponents who finished in the Top 20).

This whole turn of events probably doesn’t even happen if the Canes hold on against FSU. I think that really shifted perspective, internally, on what was otherwise a strong finish to the season.

He wasn't doing a fine job. We lost to the worst FSU team in decades and lost to UNC and UVa due to his blunders. He called a timeout that actually was advantageous for NCST. He's lucky that D'Eriq King saved our asses in a bunch of games last year and Tyler Van Dyke did it this year (especially in the aforementioned NCST game) b/c the defense we trotted out there was atrocious at times. I think we held 2 Power 5 teams under 30 points this year and those were Duke and a VT team that had just fired their coach. We lost every game of any significance under him and were continually in dogfights with awful teams.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Mel Tucker

It really is mind blowing. Counting his interim coach stint with the Jags, he's 19-17 as a head coach, and got ten of those wins this year. He may very well end up being an excellent coach, but my God that's a lot of money for no track record.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, yikes.  But I'm going to just go out on a limb here and say this is nowhere near as bad as some shit other schools have pulled. 

It reads like UM is drawing from the UHealth profits, not the actual budget. So no harm, no foul.

I think the issue people are having is that, in a more sane world, the profits from healthcare would be used on healthcare, not the tenth failed attempt to make Miami football the 80’s again by science or magic.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think the issue people are having is that, in a more sane world, the profits from healthcare would be used on healthcare, not the tenth failed attempt to make Miami football the 80’s again by science or magic.

Most of the complaints I saw on Twitter and other places were about the treatment of Diaz. Funnily enough, some of those same people (Gene Chizik, I'm looking at you) who were complaining were coaches turned pundits who'd left teams high and dry in the past who're all of a sudden getting up on their high horse. In any case, the U-Health System turned a $400m profit last year. I don't think it's going to dry up and die over this.

Using profits derived from overpriced medical care in the middle of a global pandemic to fund your part in a fundamentally corrupt and exploitive enterprise is pretty gross overall.  

A&M's approach is much better.  We just use money from environmentally destructive industries which fuel global warming on a massive scale, and which will eventually render life as we know it unsustainable.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Using profits derived from overpriced medical care in the middle of a global pandemic to fund your part in a fundamentally corrupt and exploitive enterprise is pretty gross overall.  

A&M's approach is much better.  We just use money from environmentally destructive industries which fuel global warming on a massive scale, and which will eventually render life as we know it unsustainable.  

If it helps, the Permanent University Fund/University Lands is now a hotbed for wind and solar energy projects.

• Like 1