DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

1 hour ago, nate said:

And tomorrow's my birthday, can y'all be nice to each other for that one 24 he period?

I dunno. Someone might get upset that a wrestler tweets that they had a PBJ for lunch when they actually had a tuna sub and shit might get sideways...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

I dunno. Someone might get upset that a wrestler tweets that they had a PBJ for lunch when they actually had a tuna sub and shit might get sideways...

That's what the 31st can be for.

22 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Let me transport you to a pre-AEW world. Britt Baker works an NXT match. Nobody has said anything in this thread about regarding her highly. You introduce to the thread news of her apparently suffering an injury. Two posts later you're going off on her being a snob, prior to Eddie paying her even the softest of praise. And then you really go off.

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7257-nxt-oct-17-2018-tv-spoilers-taped-920/

Just so people can judge for themselves vs how you've chosen to colour things. 

This dude lost all credibility with me when he tried to list Bayley in the mashup of poor workers needed to create Britt Baker. Bayley is one of the most talented women's wrestlers alive. 

If @paintedbynumbersis involved in the Pittsburgh indy scene, I'm glad I'm not. Just weird as hell.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Triple H detractors don't post here much anymore and Bret was always well respected so Sasha it is. And I will always point out hypocrisy.

Triple HHH has annoyed me far more than amused/impressed me, I find Bret H matches to be dry as sand and Sasha is too green & inconsistent for my tastes, therefore I would really like to sit down and watch some rasslin' with you because you are an articulate person who defends their opinions. We could film a mis-matched buddy cop show pilot.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
stoopid fat fingers, no poking stick
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

Can't wait for Toni to go to AEW and be on TV *maybe* once a month.

Once a week but has to take pies to the face, or once a month and gets treated with respect for the great athlete she is? Easy choice. But feel free to choose the weird pie option if that's your preference.

• Like 2

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Once a week but has to take pies to the face, or once a month and gets treated with respect for the great athlete she is? Easy choice. But feel free to choose the weird pie option if that's your preference.

Its more a shot at AEW being incapable of booking more than 1 woman's match a show while trying to juggle 4 programs and 2 titles than saying Toni should've stayed in WWE.  If TV time and use is what she wants, Impact is probably the better choice, as they have less TV than AEW yet feature their women's division more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yeah, the "not on tv every week" argument against going to AEW has never made sense to me. I'd be willing to bet Ruby Soho spends more time wrestling in her 1-2 matches a month on AEW than she did being on tv every week with the Riott Squad over the span of months. Not being in a match every single week makes your matches feel more special, especially when you're presented as one of the big stars of your division. Toni could go to AEW, be presented as a star, and have 1-2 bangers a month on a channel people actually get instead of working IMPACT on whatever local AXS network they're on. More people watch the "how to check out" channel at the Scranton Hilton on a weekly basis than IMPACT. 

My bet? Athena, Toni, and Mia Yim (and possibly Taya Valkyrie if she wants to be on a show people watch) will be All Elite as soon as possible.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

(and possibly Taya Valkyrie if she wants to be on a show people watch) will be All Elite as soon as possible.

Hopefully her and her husband both will be All Elite soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, just drew said:

This dude lost all credibility with me when he tried to list Bayley in the mashup of poor workers needed to create Britt Baker. Bayley is one of the most talented women's wrestlers alive. 

If @paintedbynumbersis involved in the Pittsburgh indy scene, I'm glad I'm not. Just weird as hell.

I never called Bayley a poor worker. Can you read?

Not just Pittsburgh but PA, NY, OH, and Canada.  

You are everything wrong with the world right now. People like you and your buddies on this forum who can't debate or let anyone have an opinion different than yours.  You think your opinion is the only one that counts and that anything different is "weird"  

Remember when people could debate without being assholes?  Again, this is why people lurk here without posting.  This is why people call wrestling fans toxic.  Because nobody can have a fucking opinion without being bullied about it.

Drew, I am glad you aren't involved in the scene. You wouldn't make it.

• Haha 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Something about the "people are only on TV once every 3-4 weeks in AEW" talking point that I think needs addressing, and I never see it brought up from a worker perspective.

In WWE, you're told to be at the building for TV under the pretense that you'll be used. Meaning you're on the booking sheet for the day, meaning you need to prepare an extra day of hotel room and rental car (whether you're arranging it yourself or staying with another person) due to the house show schedule. So when you get there and find out that you're not on the show, or that you were on the show but you get bumped for time, it can be demotivating.

Remember, in WWE, the talent comes out of pocket for the expenses like hotel and car, so you're being told to show up for work, only to sit around and not be used, and have to come out of pocket for your expenses. Sure, you will get that back when you file your taxes and claim your business expenses, you lucky independent contractor you, but you still have to come out of pocket for the "privilege" first.

Now imagine this happens for several weeks in a row. And weeks stretch into months. Or it becomes a company-wide thing where it becomes a running joke that "sitting in catering" is an apparent position in the company. And you're having to come out of pocket to do this when you could be home, resting your body, in a business where if you get maybe five good years you're one of the lucky ones.

Maybe, just maybe, if you see other options, they might be worth taking. Even if they aren't every single week.

Some wrestlers might not want to be on the show every week. Some wrestlers might just want to know they're figured in on plans and don't have to waste their time coming to the building knowing that they're not going to get used when they could be using that day to rest, or spending it in a fashion more productive for them.

And we don't think about this aspect, because all we see is the end result. Should AEW have more than one women's match per show? 100%, and I've been screaming about that for months now. But I think it ultimately boils down to what a wrestler wants to do with their career, and where they think they can make more of a difference in the company they work for.

It seems a lot of people are deciding that, for them, that's not WWE. Options are good. It's nice to have them.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

I saw something about Juice supposedly thinking of coming back to WWE due to wanting to be closer with Toni. If Toni is gone and Juice stays with NJPW I wouldn't be shocked if Toni decides to sign with Stardom instead of aiming for AEW.

I hope I'm not the only person who read this and thought "WWE wants to sign 50-year-old Juvenud Guerrera?"  I was somewhat confused for a couple secs.  

I guess Toni Storm is dating Juice Robinson?   Or maybe OJ Simpson, though I hope it's the former.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Something about the "people are only on TV once every 3-4 weeks in AEW" talking point that I think needs addressing, and I never see it brought up from a worker perspective.

In WWE, you're told to be at the building for TV under the pretense that you'll be used. Meaning you're on the booking sheet for the day, meaning you need to prepare an extra day of hotel room and rental car (whether you're arranging it yourself or staying with another person) due to the house show schedule. So when you get there and find out that you're not on the show, or that you were on the show but you get bumped for time, it can be demotivating.

Remember, in WWE, the talent comes out of pocket for the expenses like hotel and car, so you're being told to show up for work, only to sit around and not be used, and have to come out of pocket for your expenses. Sure, you will get that back when you file your taxes and claim your business expenses, you lucky independent contractor you, but you still have to come out of pocket for the "privilege" first.

Now imagine this happens for several weeks in a row. And weeks stretch into months. Or it becomes a company-wide thing where it becomes a running joke that "sitting in catering" is an apparent position in the company. And you're having to come out of pocket to do this when you could be home, resting your body, in a business where if you get maybe five good years you're one of the lucky ones.

Maybe, just maybe, if you see other options, they might be worth taking. Even if they aren't every single week.

Some wrestlers might not want to be on the show every week. Some wrestlers might just want to know they're figured in on plans and don't have to waste their time coming to the building knowing that they're not going to get used when they could be using that day to rest, or spending it in a fashion more productive for them.

And we don't think about this aspect, because all we see is the end result. Should AEW have more than one women's match per show? 100%, and I've been screaming about that for months now. But I think it ultimately boils down to what a wrestler wants to do with their career, and where they think they can make more of a difference in the company they work for.

It seems a lot of people are deciding that, for them, that's not WWE. Options are good. It's nice to have them.

Some of the lesser used AEW talent also work indy shows. Some of them are on IWTV for Beyond or other promotions which is a good thing. I know guys like Lee Moriarty can still work bookings whenever they are not needed by AEW. Hell even Ruby had a recent match on IWTV with Alex Shelley. I honestly love the fact that Tony allows his talent to make extra money outside of AEW should a talent wish to do so. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

I hope I'm not the only person who read this and thought "WWE wants to sign 50-year-old Juvenud Guerrera?"  I was somewhat confused for a couple secs.  

I guess Toni Storm is dating Juice Robinson?   Or maybe OJ Simpson, though I hope it's the former.

easy Mark,  you don't want a the hyenas to pounce on you for discussing wrestlers personal lives on a wrestling forum.

At the end of the day you can only have so many people at the top. In WWE if you're not at the top you're going to be fed to those at the top and end up looking like a jabroni. At least in AEW when you're not featured you may lose some steam, but they're not taking your credibility.

• Like 4

Ooooooof. After all the horrific shit Jake's put himself into (and put into himself) over the years, it figures he'd get COVID through what seems like zero fault of his own.