DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Personally, I think it's hilarious when wrestlers who are alleged to be making a surprise return vehemently deny it right up until they return. For me, the only way that Jericho thing could've been better is if he'd made a video backstage at the event, with WWE trucks and fellow superstars in full view, denying that he was there. Maybe have a PA bring him coffee in a cup with the WWE logo on it mid-video. That shit gets me. So yeah, I'm pro "deny til you die."

As far as Tay and Sammy, I've seen the argument made that because Sammy proposed to his now ex publicly, that that entitles the fans to additional information. Fuck that. Seeing Wendy Jones ringside for an AJ Styles match doesn't give me the right to walk up on her at the Starbucks in Gainesville and start asking her personal questions (I did meet the Styles family in public once, but AJ initiated the conversation and I did my best only to speak when spoken to or when I needed info from them). 

There is zero excuse for publicly hounding or harassing entertainers of any kind, for any reason, unless you see them either committing a felony or becoming the victim of a felony. Tay Conti and Sammy Guevara don't owe anyone but family an explanation, and Aaron Rodgers would say they don't even owe that. So forgive me if I have zero patience for dipshits on the internet saying "they owe us an explanation!!!"

I'm not saying they owe an explanation but for fucks sake why lie about it. All they had to do is say "it's nobodies business"  But to flat out lie and say "we are just friends"  is bullshit.  Carmella and Graves did the same thing.   I don't care if Sammy proposed on TV or in  front of a crowd. Like many have said it's their business. But to flat out lie and say "we aren't a couple"  and magically boom they are. It just shows they think the fans are fools.  

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Lol, define "all."  I feel fairly confident that only a small subsection of fans hear about wrestlers' personal lives.  I only heard about Graves and Carmella after it had been going on awhile, and then only because someone mentioned it on here while complaining about Graves' horndog act.  I've only heard about Conti-Sammy for the day or two Tay deactivating her social media was a story.  I don't go too far out of my way to stay up on wrestling news, but I do read this board and watch Wrestling Observer segments on YouTube occasionally, so I'm guessing I'm more aware of backstage news than the average fan.  The only people aware of who Tay Conti's dating are the very small percentage of over-involved fans who follow a lot of wrestling news sites and workers Twitter accounts.  Casual fans aren't in that subset.  Even most hardcore fans aren't in that group.  A lot of the fans in that group probably don't care, so you're really talking about a really small portion of a really small portion of a niche group that isn't that popular in the first place.  

Honestly, if you think wrestlers or promotions need to consider your wishes when making decisions about dating, my best guess would be that you have your head too far up your wrestling bubble.  I have no idea why I'd care who Corey Graves or Charlotte Flair or Tay Conti or whoerver s dating.

You are partly right. They (wrestlers and promotions)  shouldn't be trying to say "nothing is going on" when these situatiins come up.  What they should do is simply ignore those sorts of obnoxious questions or give a stock response of 'None of your business.  Go away."

your last statement is absolutely what they should say. I agree 100% I didn't mention it earlier but I was with a few people at an event where Tay and Sami were signing together. It was obvious they were seeing each other to anyone in attendance. To flat out lie and say they aren't  and to play the fans as fools is my issue.  I don't care if Dolph is fucking Dana Brooke one day and Nikki Bella the next. I do care when I am being lied to over something so stupid. 

Maybe not everyone knew about Graves in Carmella. Graves and I know A LOT of the same people and it had been talked about for awhile. 

34 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I'm not saying they owe an explanation but for fucks sake why lie about it. All they had to do is say "it's nobodies business"  But to flat out lie and say "we are just friends"  is bullshit.  Carmella and Graves did the same thing.   I don't care if Sammy proposed on TV or in  front of a crowd. Like many have said it's their business. But to flat out lie and say "we aren't a couple"  and magically boom they are. It just shows they think the fans are fools.  

Bottom line; they don’t owe you an explanation or a straight answer. There could be any number of reasons why they can’t come out and say what’s going on. You don’t need to know. You asked the question “why do wrestlers & companies treat fans like idiots?”

Well, the answer is because by and large, that’s how you treat people that act like idiots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

Bottom line; they don’t owe you an explanation or a straight answer. There could be any number of reasons why they can’t come out and say what’s going on. You don’t need to know. You asked the question “why do wrestlers & companies treat fans like idiots?”

Well, the answer is because by and large, that’s how you treat people that act like idiots.

No,  you need to re-read. I never said I needed an explanation. What I said was "why do they feel the need to lie" Big fucking difference.  The fact that she deactivated her social media for 2 days because of "False rumors" only to come back and show the world that they weren't false at all should say something. 

And for people that supposedly want to keep things private they sure do post a ton on social media. What do they honestly think will happen? 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Well okay this is a slightly different take than I thought you were going for. You're not mad about their right to privacy. Just the change in course on an explanation. This is less creepy. But here's the thing, you seem to have some sort of insecurity about the part I put in bold. Like this is much different than WWE treating fans dumb by not allowing the word belt on TV. (God damn pal a belt is what keeps your pants up this is a championship title). This is a real life situation that isn't scripted. No one is treating anyone stupid. It has to do with real people and how those real people would like something handled.

No one owes anyone an apology for what transpired. (Beyond private relationship circumstances if they were breached). It happened behind closed doors "off screen" and has nothing to to with the wrestling promotion's narrative or the abilities of any of the performers. If they have decided to change course and embrace the relationship in public, that isn't treating anyone like they're stupid. That's real people making a change in their way of thinking. It has nothing to do with AEW as a promotion or any storylines. So you're really conflating this, the Graves / Carmela thing, and even people being a surprise spotted at the airport. None of these things have anything to do with an on screen story or treating anyone as dumb. This is garbage TMZ stuff that they absolutely don't owe anyone any explanation for.

This is the classic entitled fan syndrome. Also just because this stuff is common knowledge to you, doesn't mean it's common knowledge to some / most of the viewing audience. So what you're advocating for is ruining the surprises for the average fans and forcefully giving dirt on the performer's personal lives. It's too much and you are the weird one here, not the promotions or the way they handle it. No one is treating you like you're stupid, you're just being nosy and entitled and demanding too much.

I believe in people's right to privacy....but when people use their life on social media to "get over", they should be upfront about it. Or stop putting your personal life on display. Personally I really don't care about real life drama, but if I was someone invested, I could see how dishonesty would be off putting.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well okay this is a slightly different take than I thought you were going for. You're not mad about their right to privacy. Just the change in course on an explanation. This is less creepy. But here's the thing, you seem to have some sort of insecurity about the part I put in bold. Like this is much different than WWE treating fans dumb by not allowing the word belt on TV. (God damn pal a belt is what keeps your pants up this is a championship title). This is a real life situation that isn't scripted. No one is treating anyone stupid. It has to do with real people and how those real people would like something handled.

No one owes anyone an apology for what transpired. (Beyond private relationship circumstances if they were breached). It happened behind closed doors "off screen" and has nothing to to with the wrestling promotion's narrative or the abilities of any of the performers. If they have decided to change course and embrace the relationship in public, that isn't treating anyone like they're stupid. That's real people making a change in their way of thinking. It has nothing to do with AEW as a promotion or any storylines. So you're really conflating this, the Graves / Carmela thing, and even people being a surprise spotted at the airport. None of these things have anything to do with an on screen story or treating anyone as dumb. This is garbage TMZ stuff that they absolutely don't owe anyone any explanation for.

This is the classic entitled fan syndrome. Also just because this stuff is common knowledge to you, doesn't mean it's common knowledge to some / most of the viewing audience. So what you're advocating for is ruining the surprises for the average fans and forcefully giving dirt on the performer's personal lives. It's too much and you are the weird one here, not the promotions or the way they handle it. No one is treating you like you're stupid, you're just being nosy and entitled and demanding too much.

how is it being entitled? Seriously, you just wrote a book but didn't bother reading what I put.

I could care less if Tay and Sami are dating,hooking up. But to make a huge spectacle on AEW TV where he publicly proposed, and for her to go out of her way in public on social media (for all to see) and say these are false rumors only for it to be true doesn't make me weird at all. Calling people on their bullshit isn't wrong. 

Look up entitled. 

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I believe in people's right to privacy....but when people use their life on social media to "get over", they should be upfront about it. Or stop putting your personal life on display. Personally I really don't care about real life drama, but if I was someone invested, I could see how dishonesty would be off putting.

I was literally one of the people at Steel City Con that saw her literally sitting on his lap. Only for her to deny the people on IG that called her on it.  Wouldn't say I'm invested but I was there with others who she flat out called liars. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

how is it being entitled? Seriously, you just wrote a book but didn't bother reading what I put.

I could care less if Tay and Sami are dating,hooking up. But to make a huge spectacle on AEW TV where he publicly proposed, and for her to go out of her way in public on social media (for all to see) and say these are false rumors only for it to be true doesn't make me weird at all. Calling people on their bullshit isn't wrong. 

Look up entitled. 

Oh I read what you put. You're being treated oh so very poorly because an adult chose to change course on how he handles his dating life. Yes Sammy Guevara personally thinks you are so very very stupid. Should I put that in green font to emphasize the sarcasm?

Entitled AF. AEW / Sammy / Tay have no law binding them to tell you the truth about their personal lives. So you demanding they be upfront with you (and you even said AEW should tweet out an apology) is entitled as fuck.

Kept this post shorter for ya pal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I was literally one of the people at Steel City Con that saw her literally sitting on his lap. Only for her to deny the people on IG that called her on it.  Wouldn't say I'm invested but I was there with others who she flat out called liars. 

Maybe she & Sammy weren't ready to go public?  Or hadn't told their families?  Or didn't want to go out of their way to embarrass Sammy's fiancée.  I mean, none of that would mean anything next to a complete stranger's right to know about their private lives, but maybe they weren't thinking clearly (just to be clear, that's sarcasm).

I think the real takeaway from this conversation is that Sammy's done really well for himself for a little-known indy guy who was wearing a panda head to the ring two years ago.  Lol, the first time I saw Sammy. I wondered if he was a furry.  

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I could care less if Tay and Sami are dating,hooking up.

You really should. These posts make you look weird.

11 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I personally want AEW commentary to ignore in ring action to focus on minute by minute Tay/Sami updates. I have a right to their privacy after all

James

Larry Z: You see, Tony, a woman is like a leased sports car. The first few rides are amazing, but eventually you have the urge to trade it in for something newer. That’s the advice I have for young dumb Sammy. 

Tony: Well… Guerrera with a SUICIDE DIVE!

Larry Z: Speaking of dumb…

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I shudder to think what would have happened if you saw Flair and Steamboat palling around in 1989.

You know the whole thing was a straight-up con for over a century, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

And here... we... go.

Screenshot 2021-12-28 2.41.46 PM.png

can we get a power ranking of wrestler masks based on how effective/ineffective they would be against Covid?

thinking that maybe Sin Cara could be effective but most of the Rey Mysterio masks wouldn't do shit because they don't cover the mouth.

• Like 1