DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

In Terry Funk's book, he talks about how they refused to train Dusty Rhodes because of the perception that just anyone who went to West Texas State could be a wrestler. So Dusty went to the Carolinas (or something) and lied that he'd been trained by the Funk family, and broke in that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Later on, his watch started talking to him. Hence all the "Do you know what my watch is saying? It's saying it's time for you to shut up! What? Shut up! What? You shut your mouth!" promos.

Yup, I remember now. That’s the segment where Rock & Stone Cold’s singalong catchphrase arms race went too far. 

Whoever green lit the damn shirt the following week should be found, and jailed today this instant.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

He committed to that character 100%, despite saying later that the heel turn was a mistake, it sure as hell wasn't for the lack of effort on his part!

Remember he turned face leading to Invasion before joining the Alliance. I know the original plan for WCW was to be a separate touring crew than WWF but if they would've brought in Goldberg or Sting or a big enough babyface to feud with Austin right after his initial heel turn it would've worked for him. Rock was the only person big enough to oppose Austin and he was gone right after. The thing about the Alliance was that everyone had to be heels in the eyes of WWF. Like why did they have to make DDP such a dastardly heel? other than  that's how Vince wanted the WCW guys to be precieved. RVD was so over in that angle with he Austin and Angle. They should have put the belt on him in. They should've went with him over Jericho in December but knowing them, he would've had to be the same type of heel Jericho was which didn't do him any favors either

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

Stan Hansen - Newman (chaotic force of nature, mailman)

It checks out. I'm not committed to putting the whole puzzle together but I'm 90% sure Masanobu Fuchi + Makoto Baba are George's parents & Johnny Ace is Puddy. Haven't pegged Akiyama but my gut says Lloyd Braun. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

3 bulletproof ways to become a pro wrestler: be born on December 18th, attend Robbinsdale High School, or play football for West Texas State.

When I did my pod with Steve Keirn, he mentioned that He, Mike Graham, Hulk Hogan, Austin Idol and Dick Slater all were high school running buddies which is how they all got into wrestling

• Like 8

6 hours ago, AxB said:

There was an Alliance in ring promo that RVD was late getting to. So while everyone was waiting Austin improvised a bit about how he'd get RVD a watch for Christmas. Later, RVD won a big match, and Austin gave Van Dam the watch off his wrist as a thank you, because they'd retconned it. Then it was revealed that RVD had been the mystery guy having the meeting in Vince's limo, and Austin got so angry he demanded his watch back.

Later on, his watch started talking to him. Hence all the "Do you know what my watch is saying? It's saying it's time for you to shut up! What? Shut up! What? You shut your mouth!" promos.

Paranoid heel Austin was good.

Austin listening to his watch is so brilliant to me. I once spent an entirely fruitless night searching the YouTubes for any evidence of this, having completely forgotten the time frame. WWE's little surreal backstage things (to go along with our accepted in-ring disruptions of reality & physics) that went unremarked upon as (shared) delusion or magickal reality, like this or Regal understanding Tajiri, are great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

It's like Lawler invading ECW. You got the since that Lawler the old school, Mid Southern Wrestling Legend that's a Representative of Corporate Wrestling Empire WWF. Cardona is a guy who's dream was WWF. Not Indies, not Japan, not anywhere else. Just him showing up at some "scummy" indy and not some indie with some WWE Alumni headlining is heat alone.

Good for him because I'd never would guess he would go this route. I hope to see more of these longtime WWE system wrestlers take a chance and try to make a living on the indies or overseas. Not just like your super worker types

I got some disbelief on here because I had never seen him before. He was just a name in the Observer to me. He has a great heel run going in GCW.

More good heel heat going on now is Fuck Ohio. That is the perfect amount of wrestling stupidness to make it great. Like really, why should I hate Ohio? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Austin understanding Tajiri and having a deep conversation with him, to (I think) Regal’s consternation, was great.  “Thank you TIE-jeery, you’re a very wise man!”

Lol I loved the interaction between those 2. It was surreal to me. I know Heyman felt like he owed it to alot of those guys but the way the ECW guys got introduced to WWF TV compared to how WCW guys got introduced to WWF TV was night and day.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ka-to said:

I got some disbelief on here because I had never seen him before. He was just a name in the Observer to me. He has a great heel run going in GCW.

More good heel heat going on now is Fuck Ohio. That is the perfect amount of wrestling stupidness to make it great. Like really, why should I hate Ohio? 

Fuck Ohio? Tell me more, cause this sounds awesome!

2 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Fuck Ohio? Tell me more, cause this sounds awesome!

44OH (4 from Ohio) were the dominant heel stable in GCW for the past two years or so. Ricky Shane Page was the leader and held the world title for a long time after screwing Nick Gage out of the belt and constantly winning via some sort of shenanigans from the rest of his crew. They were all great at stealing victories from faces, especially when it looked like the face had the match won, and various other types of chickenshit heel tactics. Page finally got his comeuppance and hasn't been seen in a while. Lately Atticus Cogar has been the lead heel and has a habit of attacking various faces after their matches, usually by sticking a handful of skewers in their foreheads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you know back in the day wrestlers would pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a second job if they needed it like garbage man, plumber or race car driver! But seriously I wonder if all the Mt. Rushmore stuff was just the bucks trying to get their buddy a raise 

14 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Here's this month's wrestling crossword. I didn't get a lot of clicks on this. Maybe the tweet should have been more about wrestling and less about crosswords. Regardless:

12:23 which I think is the best time I've gotten on one of these

• Like 1

There is so much what the fuck going on here it is baffling:

1.  Why would Liv try to ambush Becky when she is the babyface WHO ALREADY GOT THE REMATCH

2.  How in the hell would Becky know that an ambush would happen that she would have a doppelganger already set up

3.   Is it really a surprise ambush if we can get Kevin Dunn and his gang of 20 cameras shooting every possible angle in 10 seconds

I know that you have to shut your brain down for most wrestling but jesus this is too much

47 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

As with anything WWE related I feel dumber for having watched it. 

Don't feel bad.  We're all dumber for having watched it.  Even people who didn't watch it have become dumber through osmosis.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

There is so much what the fuck going on here it is baffling:

1.  Why would Liv try to ambush Becky when she is the babyface WHO ALREADY GOT THE REMATCH

2.  How in the hell would Becky know that an ambush would happen that she would have a doppelganger already set up

3.   Is it really a surprise ambush if we can get Kevin Dunn and his gang of 20 cameras shooting every possible angle in 10 seconds

I know that you have to shut your brain down for most wrestling but jesus this is too much

4. There are at least 6-8 people at ringside.  Is Liv somehow the only one who thought the girl in the ring was Becky?

5. They obviously want us to think the redhead in the ring is Becky.  So why does Dunn choose to shoot from the front, which forces them to hide her face?  I did laugh at fake-Becky's Cousin It wig completely covering her face.

6.  Where the hell did Becky come from that Liv didn't see her in a wide-open gym a couple seconds earlier?  Becky had to either sprint into the ring from her hiding spot (where she was waiting for Liv to unexpectedly sneak attack her doppleganger) or she teleported into the ring.

7. Liv apparently stood around calmly watching the workout, then suddenly had some sort of manic episode that caused her to scream, make bug-eyed faces, and attack Becky?  Lol, this is your babyface, folks.  Gosh, I hope she wins the  tittle.

Edited by Mario
  • Haha 1