DVDVR Message Board

December 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Kang

19 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I think Matt Cardona is actually WAY more successful and entertaining than MJF w/r/t being a hated heel that the fans actually hate. 

I don't even mean that as a slight on MJF. He's successful in that regard. He's quite often very entertaining in that role. 

I just think Cardona has perfected the art of heeling it up for the post-modern fan base.

(Hmmmm... Maybe being well-built, handsome, talented, famous, good looking, and engaged or married to someone gorgeous, while not being humble and self-effacing is a good way to get heel heat these days. Are there any other wrestlers that come to mind who could leverage that?)

I've said this multiple times, I think, but what a weird-ass timeline we live in where heel Matt Cardona is the biggest draw in indy wrestling.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

so we missed out on a Stone Cold/RVD birthday party segment on a December WWF show?

They probably had something there with the Stone Cold/RVD dynamic during the Invasion and they didn't really do anything with it, did they?

I swear there is an Alliance segment where RVD shows up late to a Christmas party, and upsets Austin.

NuRemember about 5 -6 years ago or so Alicia Foxx openly complained about not having a shirt. Nowadays just about everyone featured on the Main roster Main shows regularly have a Shirt and other merch not just the top babyfaces and the cool heels. Owens has always had some really nice looking shirts, the Shirts being apart of his ring attire probably helps  sales too. Unless you are a guy with no prior exposure before going on the road on the Main roster or no built in fanbase on the indies or overseas you'd probably be trying to go viral on tiktok or something like I see just about everyone in WWE doing. 

I see AJ Francis and BFab really killing the Tiktok thing. It's unfortunate that they didn't even get to have much time to get exposure with the HitRow on the Main roster. I would've sucked not having B Fab apart of the act if they hadn't gotten cut because she was as much apart of the act as everyone else but HitRow would've been so marketable with merch and now outside of Swerve these guys either are going to go to do another form of Entertainment or maybe some of them keep going in Wrestling if they really are passionate. AJ Francis is passionate about wrestling but he already has notoriety outside of wrestling that he doesn't need to start back from square one. I could possibly see MLW wanting to pick up HitRow as an act collectively perhaps 

Just so we're all on the same page, I blindly assume this is how everybody feels

Misawa = Jerry (relatively stoic, show is "about him", rejects ostentatious clothing while on television)
Kawada = George (born loser, psychotic but relatable, being of pure id, most sensational break-up)
Kobashi = Elaine (critical darling, more dramatic than very dramatic friends, worst at kicks, beat cancer)
Taue = Kramer (tall + physical, different priorities, most ancillary, smells like the beach)

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Just so we're all on the same page, I blindly assume this is how everybody feels

Misawa = Jerry (relatively stoic, show is "about him", resents ostentatious clothing)
Kawada = George (born loser, psychotic but relatable, being of pure id, most dramatic break-up)
Kobashi = Elaine (the critical darling, most sympathetic, worst at kicks, beat cancer)
Taue = Kramer (tall + physical, different priorities, most ancillary, smells like the beach)

Stan Hansen - Newman (chaotic force of nature, mailman)

• Like 11

NuRemember about 5 -6 years ago or so Alicia Foxx openly complained about not having a shirt. Nowadays just about everyone featured on the Main roster Main shows regularly have a Shirt and other merch not just the top babyfaces and the cool heels. Owens has always had some really nice looking shirts, the Shirts being apart of his ring attire probably helps  sales too. Unless you are a guy with no prior exposure before going on the road on the Main roster or no built in fanbase on the indies or overseas you'd probably be trying to go viral on tiktok or something like I see just about everyone in WWE doing. 

I see AJ Francis and BFab really killing the Tiktok thing. It's unfortunate that they didn't even get to have much time to get exposure with the HitRow on the Main roster. I would've sucked not having B Fab apart of the act if they hadn't gotten cut because she was as much apart of the act as everyone else but HitRow would've been so marketable with merch and now outside of Swerve these guys either are going to go to do another form of Entertainment or maybe some of them keep going in Wrestling if they really are passionate. AJ Francis is passionate about wrestling but he already has notoriety outside of wrestling that he doesn't need to start back from square one. I could possibly see MLW wanting to pick up HitRow as an act collectively perhaps 

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I've said this multiple times, I think, but what a weird-ass timeline we live in where heel Matt Cardona is the biggest draw in indy wrestling.

I mean, is it?  He was the cult WWE Internet Champion 10 years ago.  And the chants for him ruined the Rock's comeback.  He was like THE WWE guy to get over with an indy gimmick. GCW at least realized they should go with it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I mean, is it?  He was the cult WWE Internet Champion 10 years ago.  And the chants for him ruined the Rock's comeback.  He was like THE WWE guy to get over with an indy gimmick. GCW at least realized they should go with it.

first guy to figure out how to use YouTube/Social Media to get over, really.

He's legitimately a wrestling pioneer ?

7 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

so apparently it's Stone Cold's Birthday

and RVD's.

and Trish Stratus'.

"any advice on how to break into the wrestling business?" Yeah, be born on December 18th apparently.

There's more:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

It wouldn't have been a Christmas party because the Alliance went out of business in November.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was that "Austin Appreciation Night" that Steph threw? That was probably after Austin regained the title from Angle?

14 hours ago, just drew said:

It's like Lawler invading ECW. You got the since that Lawler the old school, Mid Southern Wrestling Legend that's a Representative of Corporate Wrestling Empire WWF. Cardona is a guy who's dream was WWF. Not Indies, not Japan, not anywhere else. Just him showing up at some "scummy" indy and not some indie with some WWE Alumni headlining is heat alone.

Good for him because I'd never would guess he would go this route. I hope to see more of these longtime WWE system wrestlers take a chance and try to make a living on the indies or overseas. Not just like your super worker types

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was that "Austin Appreciation Night" that Steph threw? That was probably after Austin regained the title from Angle?

That was the only positive part of the entire “Alliance” gimmick. Wrestlers singing “Wing Beneath Our Ring”, and Angle with a milk truck. It’s a shame in retrospect that the “Silly Austin” heel gimmick was probably dragged down by the botched Alliance plot.

• Like 2

There was an Alliance in ring promo that RVD was late getting to. So while everyone was waiting Austin improvised a bit about how he'd get RVD a watch for Christmas. Later, RVD won a big match, and Austin gave Van Dam the watch off his wrist as a thank you, because they'd retconned it. Then it was revealed that RVD had been the mystery guy having the meeting in Vince's limo, and Austin got so angry he demanded his watch back.

Later on, his watch started talking to him. Hence all the "Do you know what my watch is saying? It's saying it's time for you to shut up! What? Shut up! What? You shut your mouth!" promos.

Paranoid heel Austin was good.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

so apparently it's Stone Cold's Birthday

and RVD's.

and Trish Stratus'.

"any advice on how to break into the wrestling business?" Yeah, be born on December 18th apparently.

3 bulletproof ways to become a pro wrestler: be born on December 18th, attend Robbinsdale High School, or play football for West Texas State.

• Like 5

In Terry Funk's book, he talks about how they refused to train Dusty Rhodes because of the perception that just anyone who went to West Texas State could be a wrestler. So Dusty went to the Carolinas (or something) and lied that he'd been trained by the Funk family, and broke in that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Later on, his watch started talking to him. Hence all the "Do you know what my watch is saying? It's saying it's time for you to shut up! What? Shut up! What? You shut your mouth!" promos.

Yup, I remember now. That’s the segment where Rock & Stone Cold’s singalong catchphrase arms race went too far. 

Whoever green lit the damn shirt the following week should be found, and jailed today this instant.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

He committed to that character 100%, despite saying later that the heel turn was a mistake, it sure as hell wasn't for the lack of effort on his part!

Remember he turned face leading to Invasion before joining the Alliance. I know the original plan for WCW was to be a separate touring crew than WWF but if they would've brought in Goldberg or Sting or a big enough babyface to feud with Austin right after his initial heel turn it would've worked for him. Rock was the only person big enough to oppose Austin and he was gone right after. The thing about the Alliance was that everyone had to be heels in the eyes of WWF. Like why did they have to make DDP such a dastardly heel? other than  that's how Vince wanted the WCW guys to be precieved. RVD was so over in that angle with he Austin and Angle. They should have put the belt on him in. They should've went with him over Jericho in December but knowing them, he would've had to be the same type of heel Jericho was which didn't do him any favors either

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

Stan Hansen - Newman (chaotic force of nature, mailman)

It checks out. I'm not committed to putting the whole puzzle together but I'm 90% sure Masanobu Fuchi + Makoto Baba are George's parents & Johnny Ace is Puddy. Haven't pegged Akiyama but my gut says Lloyd Braun. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2