DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 12/1/21

Just Dave

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

FFk4hf-XIAEtY8g?format=jpg&name=900x900

Taz should complain about gimmick infringement with that shirt. Shout outs to that bizarre snapshot of time from like 1997-1998 when oversized Warner Bros T-shirts were weirdly en vogue. Nothing says hard ass like a shirt with Tweety Bird wearing a gold chain and Jncos or whatever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

No problem at all with Brandi interfering since it is kind of his wife, and they already had brought in Roasrio Dawson into the Malakai Black feud. As a matter of fact, I actually liked that part - but then again I don't have this automatic negative reaction to anything attached with Brandi and Cody's name. I will say though, Brandi doused the fuck out of that table with lighter fluid. I think there was a point where Cody was looking at her wondering if she was going to use the entire two bottles and by god she did. Now it's time for Cody, Andrade, Malakai, ect to move on. Is Andrade the new chairman after plunking Cody in the head with a chair shot now?

Darby Allin with a top 5 suicide dive in that match. Bouncing like a pinball off of Billy Gunn was quite the visual as was Billy's huge One and Only earlier in the match. Sadge that the Gunn Club's undefeated run has come to an end ?

Didn't care much for MJF's promo implying Punk was trying to sleep with Britt Baker when everyone knows he's married to AJ. Kind of agree with Britt's tweet last night that DMD are the most over letters in this feud. Meh.

Poor AC Adams getting mauled by Wardlow. When Wardog get's his push and turns on MJF, it's going to be so glorious. That guy is going to be money. Also, Shawn Spears breaking the chair over Adams back had to of hurt. Hope AC got a little extra payday for taking that.

2.0 mixing it up with Jericho?! YES YES YES. They definitely gave me some Nasty Boy vibes during that segment though.

• Like 4

I for one will take a Designated Danielson Match and Designated Punk Match as a mandatory 30-45 min block for as long as we are blessed to have it, be it 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.

Women’s match was the highlight for me. I couldn’t help rooting for Stadlander so a bit disappointed and I knew the bug-eye reaction would feature heavily here before looking (a little overdone but nowhere close to a 1 on the Gargano Scale of Melodrama).

I could take or leave the Cody match but am amused that not only is he the only one in the company to get the middle entrance, the rising trapdoor, the two themes, the Kevin-Nash-bankrupting-WCW level pyro, the reality TV show, the gender reveal extravaganza, the massive entourage for big fights, the first win over Black. Noted Hardcore Legend Cody Runnels also gets sole dibs on the flaming table. Good grief.

Darby’s dive where somehow he ended face down prone after slamming into a Gunn was a new level of spectacular.

And I’d happily have taken Taz for the full two hours on commentary, even without the Hook twofer.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 5

I've been too busy today to comment on anything past MJF but I liked the show overall. I skimmed through the last match but it was weird to see Brandi smiling big while her husband has burn damage, but whatever.

I agree that the layout of the Sting tags are really good. Darby's cannonball tope is nuts.

I feel like Soho is sort of missing an in-ring identity? I'd like to see something more distinctive. She's resilient... has that finish that can come out of nowhere... and? I don't know. I'd like to see more brawling maybe? A little more Mox to her? Mosh pit violence? She shouldn't be doing so much chain wrestling because there are just smoother people in the division. I don't know.

I liked Danielson/Angels but it maybe never quite hit that extra gear that I was expecting it to.

I bought Cole coming out for the Wardlow match just because they needed some extra star power for the jobber match or some such. It seemed fine since Team Taz was all out there later for no reason. Dante being on Team Taz since he's unsure but still wrestling like a babyface as part of a bigger story is one thing. Him being a cocky heel would be another and would be a shame.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So word on the street is that it will be down until it switches to TBS and is no longer live on the west coast.  Though Meltzer wasn't buying it.

• Like 2

I do think that it was a fairly weak drawing card on paper. Punk vs Moriarty meant a lot to us but maybe less so to others. It was more of a "Punk in action" type of match. Angels is a guy who can go but doesn't have a lot of name value. Rhodes vs Andrade was based on an extraneous DDT (so what? Guys are getting attacked every week). and didn't really have any stakes. We'd seen them against each other in other settings for weeks. So what if Cody won? So what if Andrade won? The woman's match felt like the most substantial but I guess that wasn't enough. I'd be curious to see the quarter hours. It doesn't mean it wasn't a good show, just that a good show alone might have a lower baseline.

If they give people Silver vs Danielson and Wardlow vs Punk next week, one assumes that would do better.

• Like 3

Spamming the big two doesn't seem to be working much either. Damn bro. ?

The Danielson vs. Dark Order matches have all kinda failed to live up to expectations but they're going for pure Danielson dominance rather than having great matches. It's fine and makes sense to build him up as a killer for Hangmin but I'm going to be sad if Danielson eats up Silver like he has Cabana and Angels in particular. 

edit: wait, are we getting Wardlow vs. Punk next week? That's a Punk match I could get into.

No fear about Rosa vs. Jade because I think there will be Baker shenanigans. Just a guess but I'm glad they're putting those two back in orbit with each other again.

Edited by Jiji

Dickhead Bryan Danielson flexing his biceps is everything. 

Great showing for Angels, I think dropping the crappy mask is one of the best decisions they’ve made with him in a long time. He feels like much more of a real sympathetic character now since the Dark Order internal feud + Sammys Blog and now facing both Kenny and Bryan in the span of a month or so.

Darby/Sting was fun but as always is Sting getting the sun. If they ever decide to turn Darby on him he has the perfect excuse that it was always about Sting whenever they tagged.

Holy shit I felt so bad for Arn dropping like a sack of shit right on camera, second time it’s happened now, poor guy.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

Cody having some kind of flame retardant shit on his back makes perfect sense in kayfabe, since he obviously planned for Brandi to come out and set fire to the table. Andrade looked absolutely awesome, and I’d be down for him to have a run with the belt once he gets out of the codyverse. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Jiji said:

Am I the only one who is getting tired of Punk and Danielson eating an hour of tv time a week working guys super low on the pecking order? It was fun for a while but I'm over it. Silver should make for a good match but I'm hoping we don't get Danielson getting reps in every week like this after the title match. Same with Punk. 

Edit: yeah, the Lio thing was odd because he was a pretty money heel promo in WWE from the little I saw. 

I wonder if Lio is wondering WTF happened with his hot angle while he was off at a funeral. That's some weird WCW-level booking where you wonder who pulled strings backstage to kill it/steal the heat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Cody getting the flaming table spot ought to be viewed through the lens that so much Cody stuff clearly should be at this point: That could make decent material for the reality show.

To add to that too, view it through the lens of him being psycho over the top for hometown Atlanta shows. I mean the last time they were there he did a moonsault off the super jumbo cage. If they are in Atlanta and he is in the main event, he's doing something crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cody in the main two straight weeks of down ratings?  My boy isn’t as smart to the biz as I thought.  Hulk would have taken Thanksgiving eve off, at least.  

Meanwhile, Jericho has glommed on to another hot act (Eddie) and a trio of fresh faces.  Shows you who’s really an old school brother brother and who’s just larping in his suit and tie Flair Starter Kit.

But seriously, maybe fans don’t understand Cody’s meta Cena Wins LOL act and are mistaking it for a legit Cena Wins LOL run and don’t care for it.  And that’s not the fans’ fault.  If your “gimmick” is over everyone’s heads, that’s your fault.  “I’m just playing jingo white meat babyface as parody” fails if nobody gets the joke.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Cody having some kind of flame retardant shit on his back makes perfect sense in kayfabe, since he obviously planned for Brandi to come out and set fire to the table. Andrade looked absolutely awesome, and I’d be down for him to have a run with the belt once he gets out of the codyverse. 

You're not wrong at all, I hadn't even considered that, BUT it was still incredibly distracting. 

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m still digging it. Danielson working through the Dark Order has been a nice storyline to follow his string of debut dream matches. I do agree that after the title matches to either work a new feud or even space him out so he comes across special.

CM Punk getting his groove back is interesting. Especially since MJF called it out in his promo last week. Soon though he should rise up the crowd because honestly it’s not believable anyone beating him.

Prefacing with my usual "as someone who has only started watching again recently", I think actually had a really good set-up for someone to beat him, to the point that I was willing to believe that Moriarty was going to pull the upset last night. You have MJF calling him out, maybe Punk gets in his own head about it, or gets so caught up with MJF that he overlooks someone who he shouldn't have and they take advantage and pull the upset. Punk isn't so big or amazing (from what I've seen so far) that he can't believably lose to quite a few of the guys on the roster.

I do wonder, though, if they're ultimately building to an undefeated showdown for Punk and Danielson.

• Like 2