DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 12

Dolfan in NYC

Niners, Titans, WFT

the three musketeers of Time Of Possession

another 9 minute run heavy game clinching drives.  More and more teams remembering the counterweight to the Video Game Offense is bringing back the 1970s Cloud Of Dust.  Bill Parcells is feeling very validated somewhere

Its always amusing to me that most teams have no plans for if their kicker gets hurt. I know that no team is going to carry two FG kickers, that would be dumb. But the punter should have enough time during the week to practice FGs so they can at least kick one in an emergency situation within a close range. Or find someone on the team that can be the emergency FG kicker so you can kick a FG from the three yard line to ice a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I miss the Manning cast

These announcers are hideous 

well the good news on this front is the PBP just tried to get himself fired, as he called the WFT guess what after that kneeldown play

maybe they'll have to replace him with The Mannings

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I miss the Manning cast

These announcers are hideous 

They are so hellbent on making dramatic, emphatic proclamations that they all lose impact. And they say stupid crap constantly. For example, 1 minute into the 2nd half, Louis Riddick was saying Seattle needed to work the ball to rest their defense. A MINUTE into the half. 

Funny thing is, I like Levy. I like Griese. I like Riddick. But together they are incredibly bad. They don't make me miss Booger McFarland but they're thoroughly incompetent. 

• Like 1

1.) I'm incapable of saying anything bad about Brian Griese

2.) I still don't get the criticism Booger got/gets. The year he was in the mechanical cart thing and couldn't get a rhythm with the team was bad, but I thought he was one of the three or four best color guys doing NFL games once they moved him into the booth.

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Its always amusing to me that most teams have no plans for if their kicker gets hurt. I know that no team is going to carry two FG kickers, that would be dumb. But the punter should have enough time during the week to practice FGs so they can at least kick one in an emergency situation within a close range. Or find someone on the team that can be the emergency FG kicker so you can kick a FG from the three yard line to ice a game.

There aren't 32 competent full time place kickers,  and you expect a pointer to lessen how to do it part time? Kicking is incredibly hard and you're lucky if you have one of the 10-15 good kickers. If he gets hurt you might as well play without one because whoever else you use is going to be like playing without one. Mason Crosby has been a good kicker for a long ass time,  he's missed 9 kicks this season. They could try to find someone new,  but he's better than anyone else they could get to replace him.   

Just now, supremebve said:

There aren't 32 competent full time place kickers,  and you expect a pointer to lessen how to do it part time? Kicking is incredibly hard and you're lucky if you have one of the 10-15 good kickers. If he gets hurt you might as well play without one because whoever else you use is going to be like playing without one. Mason Crosby has been a good kicker for a long ass time,  he's missed 9 kicks this season. They could try to find someone new,  but he's better than anyone else they could get to replace him.   

If Doug Flutie and Wes Welker can kick a PAT, then the punter should be able to figure it out from that range. I don't mean someone that can kick a 50 yarder obviously or be a regular kicker so the Crosby comparison doesn't mean much, but a 25 yarder shouldn't be that hard to do for a professional kicker with professional coaches around in an emergency situation. I'm pretty sure in the "old days" when PATs were from the two yard line that most teams were able to figure it out if their kicker got hurt.

Well in this specific case - Tres Way, Washington's punter, kicks left footed so not only would Kyle Allen (the back up QB) be pressed into holding, he would have had to do it from the other side.

Apparently they were practicing it on the sideline and it was a forest fire

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well in this specific case - Tres Way, Washington's punter, kicks left footed so not only would Kyle Allen (the back up QB) be pressed into holding, he would have had to do it from the other side.

Apparently they were practicing it on the sideline and it was a forest fire

The two most disrespected skills in football are place kicking and punt catching. Both are incredibly difficult things that we look at as routine,  when they are disasters waiting to happen. 

• Like 2