DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/24/2021

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If anyone other than a Supernova Heel Cody beats Page for the belt it's a missed opportunity. You can't buy this kind of heat.

Oh man, I know that dissecting the Codyverse is probably the next-most ill-advised move to make in a Dynamite thread after bringing up JR, but…

I’m not sure what kind of heat it is? Like, the fans are in on the bit. They are booing Cody like they react to OC’s devastating kicks. He’s like the Hunter Pence Signs of AEW right now.

It’s great and I like everyone else am having a good time with it, but I wouldn’t label it “heel heat” in the traditional sense I don’t think. I don’t know?

However much Jamie Hayter they give me it just isn’t enough. She is such a great bruiser, and she had the perfect partner in Thunder Rosa. 

the tbs tournament is going well, despite Hayter’s loss, I genuinely can’t call who’ll win it. But I’m enjoying the ride. 

• Like 7

The Miz placement on the promo was good. If it was too early, people would be chanting Miz at MJF forever, which is not helpful to him. Now they'll chant numbnuts or whatever Punk ended with.

QT vs Punk: Went too long. We all know that. And the way to have fixed that would have been to allow Comoroto and Solo tos tay out there. I thought the actual work was good and for the most part though. QT worked more like Heenan than I'd seen previously. He bumped all over the place for Punk. It's at the point where I want him to start wearing the Andre half singlet. The story was that Punk IS taking too long to beat guys so it's fine, but they should have given us a replay of the low blow after the commercial break.

Rosa vs Hayter: I liked the transition as Rosa had to break the count and that let Hayter recover enough to catch her off the apron. I liked Rosa's selling of the back especially when she was on offense again. I liked Hayter's use of her strength to cut Rosa off. Interference was a little much but that's Knox for you. Basically, I liked a lot.

Danielson vs Cabana: Would have liked a little more character interaction between them at start. First time Danielson lost an exchange, he went to the kicks. Liked how Danielson had to try twice for the corner shot (and the first dodge was when the crowd was getting behind Colt). Colt's so good at maximizing his moments. The pause between the two of them before Danielson started with the face stomps where Colt couldn't get away was beautiful.

Main: Dax's alligator arm to a kid on the entrance was funny. Entrances probably went too long given the time they had left on the show. The double punch from the Brainbusters was a fun moment. I kind of tuned this one out.

Rampage looks like a ton of fun. Kingston vs Garcia, Best Friends vs Cole/Fish, Riho vs Britt.

• Like 2

All that and a bag of chips.  Even a bag of chips pays off in AEW.  That’s good gravy.

Those burns in the promo got me running to the ER.  Well fucking done delivering an all time classic promo battle.

When STING made his way out and was just standing there.  I’m like “What’s he smiling about?”  

Then BLAMMO!

”Oh… that.” 

I’ll gladly sit through a shitty Gunn Club match if that’s the payoff.

Thunder Bae and Hayter was so great.  Probably one of the best segues to commercial I’ve seen in a long time with Hayter really showing off her power and strength.  Rosa hit that slap so hard.  Hayter now pronounces it “Cleve-a-land”.  ?

Take notes Vince.  Hot crowd.

I’m no Bucks hater, but it was nice to have a night off.  

Dante actually signing with Team Taz.  I did not see coming at all.  Successful plot twist.

Bryan is just the best.  But I’m going with patience with the eventual Page match.  It’s seems to be a little ways off before it finally happens.

I got a real kick out of the main event. Good action.  Great teases.  The fans sacrificing a token for a great tv moment.  Andrade seemingly panicking over the fans potentially taking over the match.  I can see how the belts presence could have got out of hand and ruined the match.  But they handled expertly.  

Overall, this show did really great work in advancing the plots without giving away a goddamn thing.  The poster who compared it a well executed RAW formula was on point.  I won’t call it flawless.  But I’ve no reason to nitpick this week.  

I love you AEW… but I think you love me more. ❤️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh man, I know that dissecting the Codyverse is probably the next-most ill-advised move to make in a Dynamite thread after bringing up JR, but…

I’m not sure what kind of heat it is? Like, the fans are in on the bit. They are booing Cody like they react to OC’s devastating kicks. He’s like the Hunter Pence Signs of AEW right now.

It’s great and I like everyone else am having a good time with it, but I wouldn’t label it “heel heat” in the traditional sense I don’t think. I don’t know?

It is Cena heat but maybe sharper. Cody is hopefully smarter and will use it somehow.  I am along for the ride. Do we see Arn and Tully together? Does Arn turn on Cody first? Where does Brock fit into this? 

One of the best promo segments I've ever seen. The lines:

"I'm about to verbally finish you quicker than your UFC career."

"He thinks he's somebody. He thinks what he does is revolutionary to the wrestling business when in reality, he's just a less famous Miz." That was the best of the lot!

"This is PG Punk...You might as well be coming out here preaching hustle, loyalty and respect."

"I was selling out Madison Square Garden while you were marking out to Rosie O'Donnell."

"You're going to make the New York Times again but this time in the obituaries."

"The only way you will be number one of we wait long enough for Tony to have a daughter that you marry."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The Miz placement on the promo was good. If it was too early, people would be chanting Miz at MJF forever, which is not helpful to him. Now they'll chant numbnuts or whatever Punk ended with.

Needle Dick 

(For sake of accuracy ?)

When not done every week, an opening 20 minute promo is great for setting the tone for the rest of the show, and revving up the crowd.  Especially when you have CM Punk and a young hot rod, who more than held his own in there with a veteran. If Punk is going for Terry Funk, MJF did well as his Ric Flair.  I wonder if Punk is going to use a plastic bag next ;D

Dante Martin as the young guy making several deals with "devils" until realizing he doesnt need anybody but his brother could be really fun, or maybe he doesnt need anybody at all. 

Seems the TBS championship is destined to be around the waist of Jade Cargill.  I would love to see Thunder Rosa or Ruby Soho win, however, it seems that they are set up to be opponents for Britt Baker long term, which im fine with. 

Loving this slow build to 'Blacks Throne' Malakai Black. A certainly more sinister, manipulative Black, once a certain American embraces the Nightmares buried deep within. He has infected Cody slowly, and we are seeing the decay set in as Cody fights to mask the changes. I know the roster is bloated, but i would like to see Brody King show up alongside Black soon.  Maybe once Black snags the TNT Title.  

Happy Thanksgiving from a long time lurker who just recently started posting.  If i didnt have two young daughters, a writing side hustle and full time job, id post more.  But, i love reading you guys insight and spread love when i can. Im from the AOL grandstand wrestling days, hopped onto rec.sport.pro-wrestling soon after (even the fantasy board, i had my own e-fed for awhile) and finally settled here in the early 2000s.  Ive been a fan for awhile, and i hope i contribute some.  Cheers!

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thought last night was a good show.

MJF-Punk was awesome a 20 minute promo to start the show which felt like it served a purpose.

Danielson kicking Colts tooth out his head was a pretty neat way to further the angle between Hangman and Bryan. 

I also liked the further progression towards Hayter splitting from Britt and Rebel.

The 8 man tag main event kicked ass too the main event scene in AEW is really fucking cool. Pac Cody Andrade and Black should all be Main Eventing Raw and Smackdown. I wonder if WWE realizes what they let slip through their fingers?

• Like 2

That Dax vid crystallizes a thought in my head. You can watch AEW shows multiple times, because they have EASTER EGGS that you might not have caught the first time. Guys are just out there doing stuff, in the moment, because they're reacting.  It's impossible to get that in WWE, where every second is produced and framed up for filming.

• Like 9

Dax has really been feeling the slap five fake-out lately. Pulled the same move on the entrance of his match with PAC. Did a quick fake out high-five closer to the ring on the last PPV. Retweeted TDE's gif of it after the PAC match. Dude seems thrilled people are enjoying it. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Nice chemistry between Punk and MJF, that felt like one of the longest in ring talking segments AEW has ever done but I was very sport entertained the whole way through.

Ditto for Bryan and Page, never expected them to be so fun together. I love the dynamic of the face champion almost begging to fight the challenger every show. Can’t wait for these two to face off, asshole Bryan is so so good.

Lmao at Alistair’s music instantly changing into FTR’s theme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Thought last night was a good show.

MJF-Punk was awesome a 20 minute promo to start the show which felt like it served a purpose.

Danielson kicking Colts tooth out his head was a pretty neat way to further the angle between Hangman and Bryan. 

I also liked the further progression towards Hayter splitting from Britt and Rebel.

The 8 man tag main event kicked ass too the main event scene in AEW is really fucking cool. Pac Cody Andrade and Black should all be Main Eventing Raw and Smackdown. I wonder if WWE realizes what they let slip through their fingers?

They don't care. They don't think they're in the same business as AEW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1