DVDVR Message Board

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - 12/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm still not 100% sure how this is going to work on our end. 9 year old has her shots. She's seen, so far, Spider-Man 1+2, but not 3 or ASM 1+2. We have 3 and 2 from the library and will rent ASM 1. She's baffled why she has to see Peter's origin yet again. I'm getting my booster Thursday. Wife already has hers. Because I am a kind soul, I'll let the wife take her first. We won't go the first week because with the new variant we want theaters to get less crowded. I don't know if we'll have her go twice or not. I don't know if the 19 year old even wants to see it. I'm not going to see it on my own which was an eventuality that logistics forced for Endgame, for instance. I should just resign myself for spoilers and make my life easier.

• Like 4

It was good. This felt more like a Spider-Man story than the previous films. Better focus on Spider-Man action and Peter's spider-powers. This story is about MCU Peter learning about what it means to be Spider-Man and becoming a hero. 

There are things I didn't like. There aspects of the multiverse story I'm indifferent about. Other aspects I'm conflicted about, some creative choices I don't agree with.

I think people are going to like it and have a good time. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Sounds like the Spider-Man Homecoming Trilogy will join The Dark Knight Trilogy and the Captain America Trilogy as great Comic Book Trilogies. I'd like to see Spider-Man: No Way Home at the cinema having seen the previous two entries. Not sure if/when so might be my last post in the thread.

Edited by The Natural

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Sounds like the Spider-Man Homecoming Trilogy will join The Dark Knight Trilogy and the Captain America Trilogy as great Comic Book Trilogies. I'd like to see Spider-Man: No Way Home at the cinema having seen the previous two entries. Not sure if/when so might be my last post in the thread.

Not really. I don't consider Homecoming or Far From Home great. But I think this was better than both.

Spider-Man Rotten Tomatoes Ratings:

Spider-Man (2002), 90% CF.

Spider-Man 2 (2004), 93% CF.

Spider-Man 3 (2007), 63%.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), 72% CF.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), 52%.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), 92% CF.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), 97% CF.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019), 90% CF.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), 98%.

Edited by The Natural

I think you'll have a new favourite Spiderman movie. Saw it last night and I think it is my favourite ever. 

There are some moments in it similar to Captain America lifting Mjolnir that made the crowd erupt. I'm sure there will be reaction compilation videos coming out in the next few weeks. Very fun to watch in a sold out theatre, my first time back to the Cinema since Covid. 

There are some nice surprises, some of which are in the first 15 minutes and continue throughout. Think I'm going to have to go watch it a second time!

• Thanks 1

Just got back.  The only Spider-Man movie within miles (haha) of this is Spider-Verse, and I'm not sure that's better.  Although I think a good, strong criticism of this is that they saw the success of the animated film and just made a live-action version.  This is funny as Hell, mostly well-done in terms of the action (not Marvel's best, but good), and it's clear most of the big cameo spots were people having a lot of fun.  Molina and Dafoe were both letter perfect.  I think there are a few plot points that don't work, but at least one of them is largely irrelevant considering the ending.  Might be the most fun I've had watching an MCU movie, honestly, though I might still say that, by a nose, Infinity War is a better film.  But this is easily Top 5, probably no worse than 2nd.

• Like 1

Wife and I are going late tonight.  Should be good.  Local theaters have sold out afternoon and evening shows through the weekend (late mornings still available), so it should be a good crowd.  I don't remember being excited for a superhero movie before.  I'm usually meh about even the good ones.  Aside from the animated Spiderverse film, I've never quite liked a Spidey film so not sure what makes this one different.

My daughter and I are going on Sunday.   We will be celebrating her belated birthday, the end of her first semester in college, and the ever-increasing likelihood that I aced my interview last week and will get this promotion.

• Like 4

There’s a new movie theater here that unfortunately was scheduled to open last year around lockdown time. 

today is the first time I’ve seen their parking lot even close to full, which I presume is all spidey related. 

since they have a cheap (under $10) Wednesday matinee, I will probably try to hit that up in a few weeks after the new year to see it (if we aren’t in lockdown again).

This was very good. It’s definitely a Spider-Man movie more than a “multiverse” movie, the latter of which I was expecting more of.

The biggest disappointment was probably waiting around for the last post-credit scene and it basically being a just trailer.  

That ended up being one of the more fun theater experiences I've ever had.  Every character reveal got a pop(some more than others).  To be safe I'll spoiler tag some thoughts.

Spoiler

Goblin and Ock got nice clapping reactions. Garfield got whooping and cheering. Tobey got the absolute loudest pop(with me even shouting LETS FUCKING GOOOO lol). Even Charlie Cox got a bigger reaction than I expected. All of the "nice" moments got "awwwws" from everyone, and the third act honestly just felt so wholesome, which we needed after the Aunt May scene. Speaking of Aunt May, there was audible crying in the theater for that, and I thought it was an incredibly well done scene, and a surprising twist on the Uncle Ben death.

The Garfield/MJ rescue scene got an incredible reaction. All in all, it just seemed like the audience was really happy to see some redemption for Andrew Garfield's Spidey,as well as come closure on Tobey's and Mary Jane.  Loved Tobey as the older, wiser Spider-Man, and the scene at the end with him stopping Tom Holland Spidey from killing Goblin excellent.

Long story short, I thought this was in the upper tier of MCU flicks, even if I thought Sandman and Lizard really didn't need to be there. I understood WHY they were included, but they added nothing. Willem Defoe was the absolute superstar of this flick though.

My favorite thing though, was the kid that was there with their grandma. The kid had the most pure, markout reactions to everything, and was so happy to nerd out for everything. Grandmas obviously has no idea what any of this is, but played along and asked questions, and generally just did the cool grandma thing and entertained their grandkid while they geeked out.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 5

My bro, Aje said Spider-Man No Way Home is "f'n superb, top tier MCU and wants to see it again." I'm going tomorrow with my Dad at 3pm. Quickly scrolled down to the end of the topic to submit this reply.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Something that I found surprising.

Spoiler

The Matt Murdock scene was spoiled for me, verbatim, two months ago, and I didn't think much of it. I was reading a scoop article, and those things generally aren't accurate, but this one got it all down 100%

• Like 1

Spoiler

The end credits begin with De La Soul's "The Magic Number".

Saw it last night, loved it.  So much good stuff.  So much.

My favorite low key moment though?  And this could be considered a spoiler ...

100% on the Nateometer.

Edited by nate
  • Like 3

So the end credits scene to Venom 2 was set during this movie, and paid off by a bit of symbiote being left behind in the mid credits scene of this? So there will be an MCU Venom, but it won't be Tom Hardy?

The guys who played Sandman and Lizard only had one day on set and were basically voice actors, innit?

• Like 1

Saw the movie last night and it was the most fun wife and I have had in a theater in years.  Maybe decades.  Went to a 10 PM show and was surprised to find that every screen was packed.  Kid at the concession counter said it had been a zoo all day and every show was sold out or nearly so.  Due to the Christmas release calendar being smaller than usual thanks to Covid, nearly every theater in the area is showing Spider-Man on about half their screens, so I didn't expect a theater with eight showings of Spidey starting between 9 PM and 10:15 to be full.

It was and the crowd in our theater was wired from first minute to last.  Everyone popped for everything you'd want them to react to and it made it such a fun evening.

I really enjoyed the movie to, even though I'm not much of a superhero fan.  We might go again in a week or so and I'm most likely stream the film as soon as it hits one of one of my home services.

• Like 2