DVDVR Message Board

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - 12/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

If you thought some comic book nerds already complaoned too much about much MCU diversity, imagine their reaction if Marisa Tomei's Aunt May dated a lady instead of Happy Hogan. That's apparently an idea that Tomei tried to pitch to the movie folks. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If you thought some comic book nerds already complaoned too much about much MCU diversity, imagine their reaction if Marisa Tomei's Aunt May dated a lady instead of Happy Hogan. That's apparently an idea that Tomei tried to pitch to the movie folks. 

Spoiler

The impression I got from the film was that MCU Peter Parker never had an Uncle Ben at all. When Aunt May told him with "great power comes great responsibility," that was the first time he ever heard it. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Finally saw this earlier today. I think it might be the best of the live action Spidey movies and definitely up there among the best MCU films. The usual MCU participants were as great as usual. This was the best Tomei had been in any of the films which made her May's death all the sadder for me. Dafoe, Garfield, and Molina were fantastic in their parts. Even dug Electro, Sandman, and Lizard in their roles here, however small, more than I recall in their feature films. Loved seeing Murdock's scene early on. Hope we see a more proper crossover between DD and Spider-Man at some point. This felt a little more loose continuity wise than the usual MCU film but nothing that really hurt it for me. It was good seeing Holland's Peter pushed more towards a traditional Spider-Man with the whole experience.

I find myself rather curious to see what they do if there actually is a new trilogy in the works. With how things went here its interesting that they may just straight up avoid any of the former villains sans maybe Venom. I want to see how Holland's Peter builds up a new life. It would also be nice to see Kingpin and Punisher show up at some point with the netflix DD entering some level of MCU continuity. Will say that while I like Miles and we know he exist in the MCU, I have pretty much zero interest in seeing a push towards him to take over any time soon if ever. We already have the Spider-verse movies where he is the focus, and there feels like there is so much more ground they can still cover with Holland if he is willing to stick around.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finally saw this earlier today. I think it might be the best of the live action Spidey movies and definitely up there among the best MCU films. The usual MCU participants were as great as usual. This was the best Tomei had been in any of the films which made her May's death all the sadder for me. Dafoe, Garfield, and Molina were fantastic in their parts. Even dug Electro, Sandman, and Lizard in their roles here, however small, more than I recall in their feature films. Loved seeing Murdock's scene early on. Hope we see a more proper crossover between DD and Spider-Man at some point. This felt a little more loose continuity wise than the usual MCU film but nothing that really hurt it for me. It was good seeing Holland's Peter pushed more towards a traditional Spider-Man with the whole experience.

I find myself rather curious to see what they do if there actually is a new trilogy in the works. With how things went here its interesting that they may just straight up avoid any of the former villains sans maybe Venom. I want to see how Holland's Peter builds up a new life. It would also be nice to see Kingpin and Punisher show up at some point with the netflix DD entering some level of MCU continuity. Will say that while I like Miles and we know he exist in the MCU, I have pretty much zero interest in seeing a push towards him to take over any time soon if ever. We already have the Spider-verse movies where he is the focus, and there feels like there is so much more ground they can still cover with Holland if he is willing to stick around.

Glad you enjoyed it, @Eivion. Agree with all you say. Spider-Man: No Way Home is the best live action Spider-Man movie, it's in my top five MCU movies and it's one of the best ever comic book movies. It's amazing it turned out as well as it has with everything going on. All those spinning plates but it pulls it off. Kudos. I will say the run time flew by and I wish it was longer still.

My top ten MCU Movies:

10. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

9. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

7. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

6. Iron Man (2008).

5. Avengers Assemble (2012).

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021).

3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

2. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

My main take away from this movie is... I'm really happy De La Soul is getting paid for use of "The MagicNumber" and more people are getting exposed to their music

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 4

Given the way the multiverse seemed to work in Loki, I kind of assume they’re in a new multiverse. OG Osborn still died fighting Spider-Man in that original Sony universe, while a new timeline branched off when an OG Osborn was pulled into the MCU.

Edited by JonnyLaw

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Loved it.

My only mind bending question is - Do the villains go back to the time they were taken from, presumably in the middle of a fight with Spiderman? Or do they go back to the 'current' time?

Norman being cured then heading back with old man/CM Punk Peter, only to find out his son was dead, would have to take a toll. The flip side is what? He returns, immediately submits to young Peter, and spends the rest of his life in prison for multiple counts of murder?

Not that these guys were in a great spot to start but being cured and going back isn't going to be as clean cut as it seems.

Spoiler

Doctor Octopus is still basically going to die minutes after he goes back, making that whole exercise rather pointless. 

• Sad 1

Spoiler

Andrew Garfield on Spider-Man: No Way Home:

Starting simple, why did you say “yes” to “No Way Home”?
I wasn’t expecting to ever have a conversation again about potentially playing Peter Parker. I felt very excited to just to be a fan again. But I got this call from Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige and Jon Watts with this idea. It was immediately undeniable. It sounded incredibly fun, incredibly spiritual — trippy and thematically interesting. On a base level, as a Spider-Man fan, just the idea of seeing three Spider-Men in the same frame was enough.

The pitch was really, really enticing. They said, “You played this character in your way and what would you want to explore if you had an opportunity? If you were dumped into this other universe and faced with this younger you and this older you, how will you respond?”

We talked a lot about mentorship. We talked a lot about brotherhood and about what it is to be the older brother, younger brother and the middle brother. There’s also a thing of seeing someone you love walking down a path that you’ve already walked down, and you know it doesn’t lead the place where you ultimately meant to go.

That character is isolated in his emotional experience and physical experience. But what happens when that aloneness gets blasted open, and you come to realize that you’ve never been alone and there are other brothers going through the exact same thing? That’s a big spiritual journey to go on, man. And then we just milked out all the fun that we could possibly have.

You and Tobey Maguire really did this. This wasn’t a green screen set up in your driveway. And they have a profound impact on Tom Holland’s Spider-Man.
We were shooting for two weeks, Tobey and I, but I think we managed to achieve something that is not just showing up and going, “Hi! Bye!” My Spider-Man got to save his younger brother’s romantic relationship, potentially. And to heal the most traumatic moment of his own life through doing it for his younger brother. Making sure that he didn’t have the same fate, there’s something cosmically beautiful about that. It meant getting a second chance at saving Gwen [Stacy, Garfield’s love interest in “The Amazing Spider-Man” played by Emma Stone].

You know, the spirit that Zendaya brings to MJ is so heartfelt and pure and loving, and Emma brought that similar unique spirit to Gwen.

Talk about your time with your fellow Spider-Men, what did you share off-screen? Compare notes about spandex and fans?
I think the first time we were all in the suit together, it was hilarious because it’s like just three ordinary dudes who were just actors just hanging out. But then also, you just become a fan and say, “Oh my god we’re all together in the suits and we’re doing the pointing thing!” There was talk about going to the bathroom and, you know, padding around the package. We talked about what worked for each of us. Tom was jealous because I have little zippers in my suit that I can get my hands out of very easily. To work his phone, he had to use his nose because he couldn’t access his hands. We would have deeper conversations, too, and talk about our experiences with the character. And to have Amy Pascal there, who has seen through nine movies, including “Spider-Verse.” It was a revelatory experience for her, realizing how much life and time she’d given to this character. That was beautiful and profound.

There’s a line I improvised in the movie, looking at [Maguire and Holland] and I tell them I love them. That was just me loving them.

The screenwriters said at one point they considered bringing back Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone. What would you have liked to see for your Peter and Gwen?
Oh my god, I don’t even know where to start with that. It’s too big. Gwen had agency. In our film, on her final day, she shows up. I tried to restrain her from showing up to that scene with Electro [Jamie Foxx]. I knew that it was too dangerous, but she chose to be there. She had a hand in her own destiny in that way, and the movie is about fate. I will say the image of my catching [Zendaya’s] MJ — that was really beautiful and it kind of sold me on the whole thing.

A lot of the conversation about this movie has been about a sort of redemption for your Spider-Man. Narratively, commercially. How does that feel?
I am so grateful. I’m just really, really grateful that I got to tie up some loose ends for the Peter that I was playing. I love that character and I’m grateful that I got to work with these incredible actors, this incredible director, and Marvel in conjunction with Sony. It was joyful, and a feeling of closure for me. There was so many unanswered questions for my Peter, where we left it. I got to step back in and get some healing for him. And also really supporting [Holland’s] Peter, and honoring his character completing that trilogy, not distracting or detracting from it.

Would you be open to coming back to the character?
I mean, yes, definitely open to something if it felt right. Peter and Spider-Man, those characters are all about service, to the greater good and the many. He’s a working-class boy from Queens that knows struggle and loss and is deeply empathetic. I would try to borrow Peter Parker’s ethical framework in that, if there was an opportunity to step back in and tell more of that story, I would have to feel very sure and certain in myself.

• Like 1

FI1PE5BXoAEgwaE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spider-Man Suits in the MCU. My top three:

3. Upgraded Suit from Spider-Man: Far From Home.

2. Stark Suit from Captain America: Civil War.

1. Suit at the end of Spider-Man: No Way Home.

The best sadly never made it:

I4BOn8Gb92Q&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Behind the Scenes from Captain America: Civil War.

Years ago, we'd never have thought Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina would return to their respective roles. Great having them back. Marvel/Sony Pictures will be tempted to use Maguire and Garfield again but this was a perfect sendoff and the law of diminishing returns.

mcu.jpg

Kevin Feige's right. Least we've had both in the MCU, were predictably great (I'd have liked more of baddie Doctor Octopus though) and Spider-Man's rogues gallery is second only to Batman. We haven't had Kraven the Hunter as he's the biggest baddie unused (I thought he'd be here before it turned into a live action Spider-Verse. Kraven's getting his own solo movie.), The Kingpin, Black Cat though she's an antihero (Felicia Hardy appeared in Spider-Man 3), Morlun, Mister Negative, Tombstone, the Hobgoblin and Silver Sable. I'd class Silk as a baddie because I hate that character. Kraven the Hunter and Black Cat are my picks for the next Spider-Man film.

Edited by The Natural

After having Covid early in this wave, I finally got to see this over last weekend.  

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tobey as: a) I'd actually managed to avoid that spoiler, and b) I haven't seen him in, like, anything for years.  Also, Molina and Defoe make this movie, they're just better at this than anyone else involved.  I really wanted more interaction between them on screen.  Hell, give them their own movie.  

Mae dying was a shock, but made sense, as you had to have stakes (something the MCU does NOT do well) and Spidey has to have a tragedy to motivate him, regardless of the universe. 

And last.... THEY CAN'T KEEP TEASING A LIVE ACTION MILES MORALES! GOD DAMN IT.  DO IT ALREADY YOU COWARDS!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And last.... THEY CAN'T KEEP TEASING A LIVE ACTION MILES MORALES! GOD DAMN IT.  DO IT ALREADY YOU COWARDS!

Where did they tease Miles in this one? I only recall the tease with his uncle in the first film.

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Where did they tease Miles in this one? I only recall the tease with his uncle in the first film.

Electro, post-cure, tells his Peter Parker that he thought he'd be black.  And what a dream to have a black Spider-Man.   

?

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Electro, post-cure, tells his Peter Parker that he thought he'd be black.  And what a dream to have a black Spider-Man.   

?

I recall he said something like, "There's got to be a black Spider-Man out there somewhere, right?"

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2