DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 11/12/2021

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

meh. If hardy didn't win with fifteen lumberjacks doing an extended beatdown on Cassidy, he'd be useless going forward

He’s been useless to this point, why does that need to change?

Let me preface this by saying I belong to a small cadre of twitterers who very much enjoy making jokes about Bobby Fish's age. In the spirit of that, my first remark is that this is the worst Jungle-related incident for Bobby since his unit lost all those guys taking Guadalcanal in '42. Jungle Boy is turning into an incredible worker before our eyes. He's started laying his shit in a little more, and it's helped make him more credible. I have a bad feeling that the Superkliq is winning tomorrow. It's 100% the wrong call, but it feels inevitable, given the abundance of Jacksons in that match.

They stumbled into something special with Dante Martin. He is absolutely blessed by whatever deity sent us Ultimo Dragon. I'm intrigued by the possibility of him joining Team Taz, as that would put him in Ricky Starks' orbit, which is always a good thing. He is another of the guys in their early 20's that AEW should take their time developing. Pillman Jr and Garcia are the other notables in that class. Julia Hart and Anna Jay, too. 

Jade Cargill has "it"  by the bucketload. Who gives a shit if you can work when you have that level of charisma and maybe the best look in the company? Keep bringing her along in the ring until her skill level matches everything else that makes her special.

The Page/Cole thing was cool. 

The main event was fine. Wheeler Yuta dressed as a lumberjack was not a thing I knew I needed until I got it. Now I'm wondering how I lived this long without it. I do not understand the decision to put Hardy over there. Both Hardy's are a solid decade past their expiration date, and the continued fascination with them baffles me. Jeff got a deafening reaction at Smackdown, and I'm as stumped by that as I am putting Matt over one of your most marketable homegrown-ish stars. Just seems ass backward. Pretty good show overall.

• Haha 1

I loved Bobby Fish Anderson Brotherizing JB's shoulder.  That was old school as hell.  Speaking of which, I was explaining to my youngest son that any cake or trophy or plaque presented before a match cannot exist in workable condition before the next commercial.  In 52 years of watching wrestling, I'm glad the trend continued.  I hope Red Velvet pulls the upset.  Dante Martin is doing complete wrestling matches now.  That's awesome.  The main event was about as much overbooking as it needed.  NEXT WEEK!  I, my daughter, my brother, my nephew and two of his sons are going to Dynamite in Norfolk!  A LOT OF WRESTLING WILL BE WATCHED!

• Like 17

"There's nothing to dispute in that".  Or something like that was said during the Fish/Cole get together.  

Kind of like how the Bucks said to Cole "there's only one era in wrestling, the era of Elite".  

When do we get Undisputed Era?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, romdam said:

"There's nothing to dispute in that".  Or something like that was said during the Fish/Cole get together.  

Kind of like how the Bucks said to Cole "there's only one era in wrestling, the era of Elite".  

When do we get Undisputed Era?

KOR's contract is supposed to be up in a month or two, and I certainly would expect both sides to be ready to part ways given the new 2.0 direction. Roddy, no idea.

Cole leaving Bobby to die continues the Elite being the biggest douchebag heels alive. I can't wait until Jungle Boy taps one of them out tonight.

These live Rampage shows with Dark tapings are looking from afar like attending 'classic' WWF syndicated tapings. 

Spoiler

You'd think without marquee bouts on Rampage that they'd at least blow off some Dark feuds, but the 8 mans and squashes persist.    

* Powerhouse Hobbs (w/ Hook) defeated Jayson Strife
* Andrade El Idolo (w/ Jose) defeated Jah-C
* Shawn Spears and Wardlow (w/ Tully Blanchard) defeated Arik Cannon and Renny D
* Ruby Soho defeated Hyan
* Too Fast Too Fuego defeated Brandon Gore and another local talent
* The Acclaimed defeated Dark Order’s Alan “5” Angels and Colt Cabana
* Riho, Kris Statlander and Ryo Mizunami defeated Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura and The Bunny
* The Variety Blonds and Lee Johnson & Brock Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) defeated Aaron Solo, Nick Comoroto, JD Drake and Ryan Nemeth (w/ QT Marshall)
* John Silver defeated Peter Avalon
* Sonny Kiss defeated Adam Grace
* Dark Order’s 10 defeated a local talent
* Scorpio Sky defeated Brandon Knight

1 hour ago, AxB said:

It wasn't a Phantom Elbow Drop. It was a fake Twist of Fate, so the ref wouldn't think someone had interfered.

I had sensed he did the phantom elbow so the ref would think he hit a move on OC too. But it's a lumberjack match. He cant get DQed. Also it looked fucking stupid dropping an elbow two inches away from the dude's face. If you're going to do that, actually hit the guy. Don't think it was a fake twist of fate because he would have went through the motions to do the whole twist part and spoon fed the audience. He was big time over thinking here tho. Should have just covered him because it actively took away from the finish, not added to it. Looked ridiculous.

• Like 1

not the hottest Rampage for me.

Bobby Fish doesn't do anything for me. the match with Jungle Boy was fine, i guess. i never saw Fish in WWE, so this talk of KOR and UE joining is actively a turn off.

Hangman interrupting Bucks & Cole was good. Cowboy shit. Hype shit. 

the Jade squash happened. the bit with the cake was telegraphed and stupid.

Dante/Daivari was fun. Man, Dante can F-L-Y.

Cassidy/Hardy was a waste of everyone's time. Hardy is so far past interesting. the HFO is a humongous bust. nobody cares. wrong man went over, of course.

Chris Jericho was f'ing terrible tonight. it's like he felt he had to make up for not getting to speak on Dynamite, so he talked over everybody and yelled all night. I'd rather listen to JR call a Japanese vs. Mexico card featuring exclusively undersized young boys and women in provocative clothes all night than another card with this Jericho.

• Like 1

Some quick comments:

Jungle Boy vs Fish was good and felt longer than it was. I liked the arm work. I generally liked the selling. I don't know about Jungle Boy going for the rope walk armdrag the second time after it got jammed the first time. That's more of a feeling out move and for him to try it later in the match with a hurt arm isn't quite the same as hitting some more impactful move the second time after it doesn't work the first. It felt more like a house style thing than something that really made sense. I would have liked a little bit of selling on the snare trap too. I hope that the arm plays into the match tonight.

Martin vs Daivari was great for the crowd. I'm not sure that Ariya was quite the base that Martin's had lately, but he hung well enough. Martin continues to make things that are pretty dumb on paper work on sheer athleticism alone. I'm curious to see where the post match with Team Taz goes. Why not?

Jade vs Garrett was what it should have been. I liked the spot where Jade tossed Garrett into Velvet in the crowd. The finish was picture perfect, actually. Post match was fine but maybe too close to the trophy ceremony for Shida? I don't know.

I thought Cassidy vs Hardy was laid out well, but I get why people are frustrated with it. Probably the best use of Yuta I've seen. Jericho mishearing the $20,000 as $3000 actively hurt the match. I don't remember ever seeing a lumberjack match with quite this set up and it was clever. I liked how the comeback was about the Best Friends recovering and there was a lot good about the last minute or two. I could have used something more imaginative for Statlander and Bunny than the Joey Styles ECW Catfight moment. Again, the stakes escalation is all messed up. Evans losing his hair felt like the peak of this that should have led to something and now maybe Hardy just won a blowoff that didn't mean anything? Maybe it's because I've only been following for a couple of months, but I think 2021 Hardy still brings a lot to the table when it comes to match layout and specific moments. And I like the HFO in general. Little things like the elation from Bunny taking the knucks from Blade. It felt almost darkly wholesome in a really messed up sort of way.

Oh and it's great Starks is getting more confident on commentary but that's exacerbating the Jericho problem.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, just drew said:

Let me preface this by saying I belong to a small cadre of twitterers who very much enjoy making jokes about Bobby Fish's age. In the spirit of that, my first remark is that this is the worst Jungle-related incident for Bobby since his unit lost all those guys taking Guadalcanal in '42. Jungle Boy is turning into an incredible worker before our eyes. He's started laying his shit in a little more, and it's helped make him more credible. I have a bad feeling that the Superkliq is winning tomorrow. It's 100% the wrong call, but it feels inevitable, given the abundance of Jacksons in that match.

They stumbled into something special with Dante Martin. He is absolutely blessed by whatever deity sent us Ultimo Dragon. I'm intrigued by the possibility of him joining Team Taz, as that would put him in Ricky Starks' orbit, which is always a good thing. He is another of the guys in their early 20's that AEW should take their time developing. Pillman Jr and Garcia are the other notables in that class. Julia Hart and Anna Jay, too. 

Jade Cargill has "it"  by the bucketload. Who gives a shit if you can work when you have that level of charisma and maybe the best look in the company? Keep bringing her along in the ring until her skill level matches everything else that makes her special.

The Page/Cole thing was cool. 

The main event was fine. Wheeler Yuta dressed as a lumberjack was not a thing I knew I needed until I got it. Now I'm wondering how I lived this long without it. I do not understand the decision to put Hardy over there. Both Hardy's are a solid decade past their expiration date, and the continued fascination with them baffles me. Jeff got a deafening reaction at Smackdown, and I'm as stumped by that as I am putting Matt over one of your most marketable homegrown-ish stars. Just seems ass backward. Pretty good show overall.

It's too bad sting couldn't take the role Bill Watts did for him and beat the wrestling into Jade.   That's what I think Jade needs, maybe stick her in  feuds with Emi Sakura and Serena Deeb after this?

as for Dante- you're seeing Ultimo Dragon, I'm seeing a likable Lightning Kid.

Edited by alstein

For someone who is getting a lot of TV, Bobby Fish is showing that he deserves to get a lot of TV. That was a cracker of a match with Jungle Boy is who is improving all the time. 

Punk is definitely the heel in this feud, the video all but proved it. 

Statlander is adorable but the cosplay element is clearly bringing out some, errr, deeper resonances in some of us haha. What did she go as for Halloween?

• Like 2