DVDVR Message Board

2021-2022 NCAA Basketball Season Thread

RIPPA

Hey! Everyone and their mother starts up today

The notable games today are the two Champions Classic games from Madison Square Garden

Kansas vs Michigan State

Kentucky vs Duke

This will be the last game Coach K coaches in MSG (at least that is what they are selling it on)

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You say that as if Duke wouldn't play in the NIT.  

They won't because they would consider it beneath them and decline the bid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in case anybody was expecting Mizzou to be good this year:

Always funny when the main campus gets beaten by one of the satellites (KC in this case is UMKC as in University of Missouri - Kansas City).  UMKC led at the half and extended the lead in the second.  This was no fluke.

Fun fact: UMKC won the last time they played Missouri, too - in 2014.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Loyola Chicago announced they are leaving the MVC to join the A-10 starting next season

That puts the A-10 at 15 teams so I expect them to poach someone else too because, ya know, Mason needs to finish behind more teams.

The MVC (which is already adding Belmont) is reportedly trying to fill the void by adding Murray St, UT Arlington and Kansas City (KC is dicey as apparently they have to upgrade their facilities to join the MVC)

• Like 1

#1 Gonzaga laid a beatdown on #2 UCLA in Vegas tonight. They jumped out to a quick lead, pushed it to 23 after just 12 minutes and it never got remotely close after, ending 81-61. Very, very impressive win. 

Iona (where Rick Pitino is now coaching) beat Alabama

It is the first time a MAAC team has beaten a top 10 ranked team

The game was part of the ESPN Events Invitational and so due to the win Iona will play Belmont today

• Like 1

So in things I learned today

UCONN's women star Azzi Fudd (who just signed a deal with the Curry brand) is the daughter of Tim Fudd who I went to school with at American.

In fact, Tim was on the AU team while I was working at the school newspaper.

So very old....

• Like 1

Man, that's extremely weird since he just signed an extension this year.

Feels like this has to be either a health thing or we're about to find out something bad about Turgeon, Maryland, or both.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, RIPPA said:

Loyola Chicago announced they are leaving the MVC to join the A-10 starting next season

That puts the A-10 at 15 teams so I expect them to poach someone else too because, ya know, Mason needs to finish behind more teams.

The MVC (which is already adding Belmont) is reportedly trying to fill the void by adding Murray St, UT Arlington and Kansas City (KC is dicey as apparently they have to upgrade their facilities to join the MVC)

Aw man, I literally just saw this last night. Me, purveyor of all things Valley. The things you miss when you're southbound and down to Florida.

Murray State will be in... literally the only reason they aren't already there is because SIU's then-president (Randy Dunn) voted them down out of spite after his disastrous tenure at... Murray State. The only real downside is their location, although SIU and Evansville are quickish trips.

Honestly, between UTA and UMKC I'd take the Roos. I get the carrot of re-opening Texas as a Valley pipeline, especially Dallas, but KC is much closer and can be a solid addition. They don't really need an upgrade per se if they can negotiate a return to the grand Municipal Auditorium. I also feel like this would be the Valley's fallback to keeping Missouri alive should Missouri State lose their minds and go to C-USA.

If you have ESPN3 or any other means, I can not recommend watching the Cal Baptist Lancers enough. They have a 6’5” PG from Tasmania named Taran Armstrong who is the best passing college point guard I can remember since Jason Kidd. I am not exaggerating. He’s leading the NCAA in assists. Last night, he had 15 dimes and he really could have had 20 if teammates did not miss a few open looks. He’s also a triple double threat and averages over 7 rebounds a game. Rapidly rising up draft boards. The WAC is a good conference so who knows if they will make the tournament but this team in general is a fantastic watch.

• Like 2