DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Just watched Danielson-Kingston and I have no idea how anyone could not vote for AD as Wrestler Of The Year. I'm trying to think of the last time a guy was having ****+ matches every single week on US tv and I'm drawing a blank.

Bryan Danielson is my Wrestler of the Year. What a run he's on in AEW. GOAT.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 minutes ago, just drew said:

The lack of faith in Bianca BelAir baffles me. At the same time, it’s exactly what I expected from this creative team. 

It's almost as if the radical wacky idea of building someone up, putting the belt on them at your flagship ppv and feeding them credible challengers til the time comes for them to drop the strap is just kryptonite to these mfers. I wish Vince was really under the cosh and had to put on compelling wrestling week-to-week in order to keep WWE afloat. 

For all its faults AEW buzzes with energy and possibilities. The talent being wasted in WWE makes me glad that Buddy Rose, Akira Hokuto and Jim Breaks et al are just a click away. 

It’s that and an over reliance on a handful of performers. It makes some sense from a business perspective, but what happens when Becky wants to have another baby or spend more time with the one she has? What happens when Charlotte really does have enough of what she perceives as nonsense? Eventually this approach will bite Vince in the ass…

Maybe move live Raw to WWE Network in the future. Then cut the show down to 2 hours again.

Anyway regardless of sports moving to USA, most experts consider USA network a fast dying network mostly effected by cord cutting, streamers, dvrs.

23 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Maybe move live Raw to WWE Network in the future. Then cut the show down to 2 hours again.

It would never happen. You'd have a pretty significant amount of people looking for wrestling on Monday nights, and I have to imagine Rampage could do a whole lot better from 8-10 than Big Bang Theory. Now, I very seriously doubt AEW/TBS would want to oppose the NFL, especially with the Khans owning a team, so we're talking purely in hypotheticals, but WWE would have to be dumb as shit to do that after 28 years on and off in that slot on cable.

3 hours ago, just drew said:

It’s that and an over reliance on a handful of performers. It makes some sense from a business perspective, but what happens when Becky wants to have another baby or spend more time with the one she has? What happens when Charlotte really does have enough of what she perceives as nonsense? Eventually this approach will bite Vince in the ass…

Nah man, they aren't stars.

WWE is the star.

If Becky and Charlotte leave then we have Bianca & Rhea Ripley right there, ready to replace them.

Better still, the hardcore fans will lap it up because "finally they are getting the push they deserve."

WWE has found it's level.

Thepeople who watch now will keep watching no matter what and that number is enough to keep everyone paid well above what they could realistically earn elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Thepeople who watch now will keep watching no matter what and that number is enough to keep everyone paid well above what they could realistically earn elsewhere.

For now. This could very easily change once these current TV deals are up, and Fox/NBCU sees that Time Warner is getting a pretty decent chunk of that audience at a much lesser cost. Now, I'm not suggesting WWE is going to be somehow thrown off TV or unable to pay it's workers or something - they could probably stay afloat on Saudi money and old footage alone - but they're going to need to do *something* to justify getting those astronomical rights fees from their TV partners again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

For now. This could very easily change once these current TV deals are up, and Fox/NBCU sees that Time Warner is getting a pretty decent chunk of that audience at a much lesser cost. Now, I'm not suggesting WWE is going to be somehow thrown off TV or unable to pay it's workers or something - they could probably stay afloat on Saudi money and old footage alone - but they're going to need to do *something* to justify getting those astronomical rights fees from their TV partners again. 

Justify might be too strong of a word because there was no way they could actually justify the money they are being given. That's the blessing and also curse of the TV bubble and rights fees bubble at the time. I remember some people saying that WWE won over UFC (since their respective deals were done in basically the same timeframe). In actuality, UFC put themselves in position for a huge increase on top of all the money they're currently getting. They had lofty expectations as well, but the PPV component alone made it feel like UFC was a hot product. They delivered on all the big PPV and the handful of big TV cards and that was all that mattered. When you're a weekly TV product, it's much more added pressure. So WWE won the battle and the UFC will win the war.

The upside for WWE is if someone cuts bait, there will be a few suitors willing to accept a bill of goods based on their reputation. The money numbers WWE will be good enough to keep them healthy. However, reputation is all they're working on and their TV broadcast partners shouldn't expect much more than that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Anyway regardless of sports moving to USA, most experts consider USA network a fast dying network mostly effected by cord cutting, streamers, dvrs.

Well if they never cancelled Silk Stalkings and Monk they wouldnt be in this mess!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Did USA ever even have sports besides Raw and Tuesday Night Fights?

Up to the mid-80’s they had MLB, NBA, NHL, College Football, College Basketball, and I think golf. ESPN and Turner chipped away at those properties until all they had left was tennis and boxing. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Following people have been removed from Impact's website...No Way, Taylor Wilde, TJP, Tommy Dreamer, Petey Williams.

Will one day tell my grandkids I was there for the return of No Way at Slammiversary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

while on the topic of injuries and sad times.  Jimmy Rave had to have his legs amputated.  He already has lost an arm and now both legs.  Sad to hear as Jimmy was really turning his life around. 

I said it in the ROH thread, but if I were Tony Khan I'd throw Rave a lifeline and give him a behind the scenes job.

• Like 1