DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Weird question...Did Bryan Danielson ever wrestle against Necro Butcher? I would think the answer is yes, but I can't find a match between them online. 

PWG Giant Sized Annual #4 7/29/2007

and they were on opposite teams in the ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death, but I don't remember if they mixed it up before Dragon abandoned Team ROH

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Gerard's still working, not sure if he qualifies as being "a thing" though. For some reason, a fourth(~!) movie in the Olympus Has Fallen series is coming next year. 

Olympus might need its equilibrium checked at this point if it's fallen for the fourth time.

It’s my name. Thrilling, creative stuff. 

Waaaay back in the day, on the original, original board, I briefly posted as “ToryuNoku PRO!” Equally thrilling and creative, but for different reasons!

• Like 1

My name is Sam. At some point during high school school people started calling me Sammo because I'm Asian and tall and fat they'd go "Oh Sam like Sammo Hung" This was around the time Martial Law was airing on TV. Maybe as a knock? I dunno. Sammo Hung rules though so I kept the nickname. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

My name is Sam. At some point during high school school people started calling me Sammo because I'm Asian and tall and fat they'd go "Oh Sam like Sammo Hung" This was around the time Martial Law was airing on TV. Maybe as a knock? I dunno. Sammo Hung rules though so I kept the nickname. 

Best way to beat the bully is to just own it!

I used to cop flak for being a wrestling fan.

"Oh that stuff is so fake!"

"What's your favorite movie?" I'd ask.

"Star Wars" said the bully.

"Man how sad was it that Mark Hamill had to chop his hand off!" I exclaimed sadly.

"What? It's a movie" said the bully.

"Oh? So it's fake then?" I said with a smile.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I usually don't tell people I'm a wrestling fan unless I've known them a while. Otherwise you just get ridiculed.

Nerd! (I no longer actively watch wrestling, so I'm allowed to insult my former brethren!)

54 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Wait, some of you had bullies in school who weren’t pro wrestling fans? For me at each level of school the class bully was always super into wrestling. 

I was never "bullied" in the sense of being beaten up or having stuff taken, but I was insulted plenty for a period of time. Not giving a shit tended to help in theory.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I was never "bullied" in the sense of being beaten up or having stuff taken, but I was insulted plenty for a period of time. Not giving a shit tended to help in theory.

Bully might not have been the right word, for me the kids who’d do the “ha, ha you like ______!” in my schools all were wrestling fans, so no one really got the business for liking wrestling. I was also 9 when the WWF expansion started so most of us kids were into wrestling until 1988ish, after that not everyone talked about it but most people still knew what was going on. 

4 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I usually don't tell people I'm a wrestling fan unless I've known them a while. Otherwise you just get ridiculed.

Other than my wife, I doubt anyone who knows me in real life knows I watch wrestling.  I had a group of friends who watched  with me when i was younger.  But, as I got older, I found I didn't really have anything in common with them besides wrestling and we drifted apart.  I also got to know some people I'd see at various live shows, but same story.  I didn't really have anything in common with them except wrestling shows and I haven't been to a live show since 2008 or thereabouts.

My wife isn't into wrestling but finds the over-the-top testosterone soap opera aspect of it amusing.  She can recognize a few WCW/WWF guys, but not put names to faces unless it's Hulk Hogan.  Probably the only name of the last 20 yrs. she'd recognize is The Rock.  

She does keep asking me why the guy with the barber gimmick is carrying around a pair of hedge clippers.  I.... don't have a good answer for that.  I'm guessing the answer is a pair of hair scissors would be too small for the live audience to see and wouldn't be visually impressive to a tv audience.  Did Brutus ever cut anyone's hair with those things?  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

[...] 

She does keep asking me why the guy with the barber gimmick is carrying around a pair of hedge clippers.  I.... don't have a good answer for that.  I'm guessing the answer is a pair of hair scissors would be too small for the live audience to see and wouldn't be visually impressive to a tv audience.  [...] 

I have to tell you the truth, even if it hurts: I think Brutus wasn't a real barber. If he was, he wasn't a good one. 

Although, with the thickness of all those mullets, hedge clippers weren't too bad off a choice. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Wait, some of you had bullies in school who weren’t pro wrestling fans? For me at each level of school the class bully was always super into wrestling. 

I think it depends what time frame you were in school.

When I was in high school, the nerdiest things you could be into was basically comic books, video games and pro wrestling. I had a friend who I'd just sort of met because we were the only guys who didn't write serious stories in creative writing and each of us would casually, subtly drop wrestling references into our conversations before we both kind of realized the other was into wrestling, but kept it between ourselves (And then I just stopped caring whether anyone knew, which is why there's a photo of me in my high school yearbook kissing my copy of the Pro Wrestling Almanac...no there is no more explanation to that photo). All of a sudden, a year later, the basketball team all wore NWO shirts, and the various jocks would be quoting Stone Cold and The Rock at each other. It was totally weird.

• Like 3

I was in High School 91-97 everyone knew me as the “wrestling dork”. When everything started kicking off again in 96-97 everyone wanted to talk to me about it.

To this day most of my friends call me “the wrestling guy”.  I’m 41 for freaks sake.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

the only time I was ever "bullied" was by a friend of mine who was trying to impress people. The guy was actually a state champion wrestler and his dad made him wrestle him in the basement almost every day after school. They had high school sized wrestling mats in the basement and in one of the guest rooms. It was extremely excessive.

Anyhow, I was walking and I had an older WWF magazine that my grandfather had given me before he passed away (wrestlemania IV cover)  and the son of a bitch took it and ripped it. I punched him 3 times, breaking his nose.  We both were going to be suspended but my dad knew the superintendent well and since I'd never been in prior trouble they let me go. When the Superintendent heard the story he said "kid sounds like he had it coming"   

• Like 3

I am proud of being a pro wrestling fan. I wear pro wrestling shirts, hoodies, hats and caps, warm-up jackets, even my gym shorts have the lion mark logo on them. I doubt there is anyone who knows me well that doesn't know that I love pro wrestling.

Maybe it helps that I live in Japan... but I was the same way in Canada.

Some people don't get it, but almost everyone has always respected that it's one of my passions. I can't imagine feeling ashamed of being a fan of pro wrestling, or trying to hide it. 

In fact, I have made a lot of real-life friends based at least in part on a mutual love of pro wrestling.

I guess I was lucky to grow up where I did. And have continued to be lucky everywhere I've been to since then (i am definitely very lucky with people) ...or maybe people just sense that there's no point in trying to make fun of something that I'm obviously proud of?

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

the only time I was ever "bullied" was by a friend of mine who was trying to impress people. The guy was actually a state champion wrestler and his dad made him wrestle him in the basement almost every day after school. They had high school sized wrestling mats in the basement and in one of the guest rooms. It was extremely excessive.

Wow you were friends with the Harts?

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

This sounds like some variation on that one Andy Samberg film where he's a daredevil.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gordberg said:

I am proud of being a pro wrestling fan. I wear pro wrestling shirts, hoodies, hats and caps, warm-up jackets, even my gym shorts have the lion mark logo on them. I doubt there is anyone who knows me well that doesn't know that I love pro wrestling.

Maybe it helps that I live in Japan... but I was the same way in Canada.

Some people don't get it, but almost everyone has always respected that it's one of my passions. I can't imagine feeling ashamed of being a fan of pro wrestling, or trying to hide it. 

In fact, I have made a lot of real-life friends based at least in part on a mutual love of pro wrestling.

I guess I was lucky to grow up where I did. And have continued to be lucky everywhere I've been to since then (i am definitely very lucky with people) ...or maybe people just sense that there's no point in trying to make fun of something that I'm obviously proud of?

They're afraid you'll beat them up and go all aggro on them while wearing that one sweet Baba shirt you had.

• Haha 1

Jumping on the name train here I was NickMD until Tromatagon thought I was a legit doctor.  So to help avoid confusion I changed it to what I have now.  Niko's my name in Greek and...well...I used to live in Baltimore.  I was considering changing it but I don't think NikoForestHill has the same ring to it so this it is.

As for people that know me I'm lucky in that all my friends like wrestling in some way.  Even the non-fans in the past found something that they liked (one guy really loved Regal's heel work in WWE and some of Vince's schtick)  Nowadays they all stopped with WWE and are all AEW fans to various degrees.  Which is great as it makes the shows a great reason to have people over and drink some oat sodas.  As for my parents they loved watching Bruno back then though they tried to get me out of wrestling in middle school.  It wasn't until years later when they realized I'm a functioning adult who kind of has a clue so they're cool with it now.  And it also helped that I adore Bruno so when he got inducted it was really cool to watch his induction with them.

• Like 5