DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

WWE's 2021 Tribute to the Troops special on FOX, 11/14 :

WWE Champion Big E vs. Dolph Ziggler with Bobby Roode.

WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns with Paul Heyman vs. Shinsuke Nakamura with Rick Boogz.

Liv vs Belair.

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Keeping him away from business operations after heart issues just seems like common sense to me. Can't help but think people are maybe reading too much into him not popping up.

Probably.

Lol, you know Vince probably believes he would be back in the office within 36 hrs and is holding this against Triple H. 

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching the Austin/Pillman home invasion RAW and part of me thinks the Iron Sheik showing up in a suit and sunglasses for the Sultan is a cool look for him, and part of me thinks "how fucked up is he that he's wearing big sunglasses" (in the spirit of how so many 80s wrestlers in sunglasses were trying to hide that they're taping in the morning after a long night of partying). Also impressed that the Sheik's knees were good enough in 1996 for him to get onto his knees and back up with the prayer rug spot.

On paper, “Bob Backlund is so desperate to destroy the New Generation he’s abandoned all his old values and teamed with his greatest nemesis to do it” is a fantastic build up for debuting a new monster.

Just, you know, gets a little undercut when the guy they comanage can’t even get back to .500 ball

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"GODDAMN PAL YOU MUST BE WEAK IF YOU HAD A HEART ATTACK, I'VE NEVER HAD A HEART ATTACK"

As Eddie Valiant told R.K. Maroon, you need to have a heart before it can be attacked

• Like 3

There were quite a few 1996 characters that were all dead on arrival... looking at you Barry Windham with a fancy mustache, camo pants, and a WWF t-shirt.

The card for that 11/4/96 Raw: Goldust/Stalker Windham with all the Survivor Series partners around the ring, The Pug/The Sultan, and Marc Mero jobbing to Razor Ramon II after Triple H interference. Also it's the last we see of Hennig for years because he bailed due to things involving the WWF messing with his Lloyd's benefits.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

“We don’t call it a Hart attack anymore, it’s an elevated double team clothesline, if anyone asks Hunter, you survived an elevated double team clothesline”

Elevated him all the way to the medical facility, you hate to see it

Hunter’s having his longest layoff from the gym in probably thirty years. He’s got some cycling (and I don’t mean on a bicycle!) and stacking (and I don’t mean early 2000s fad competitive cup stacking!) to do before we’ll see him in public again.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

There were quite a few 1996 characters that were all dead on arrival... looking at you Barry Windham with a fancy mustache, camo pants, and a WWF t-shirt.

Don't forget he wore sneakers too. I mean, what was he, going swimming after the matches?

• Haha 2

Re: Taylor Wilde. The list of folks removed from the website came from PWI who also said the company said "Oh don't read into it!" but I definitely would

Re: Petey Williams. Yes he is getting a WWE tryout as a producer. Here is the story from WON - https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/petey-williams-receiving-wwe-producer-tryout-357911

Re: Triple H. One of the other things was that talent was told that they may contact Hunter but they were absolutely not supposed to talk about work. It definitely came across as it was worse than the WWE let on.

35 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Don't forget he wore sneakers too. I mean, what was he, going swimming after the matches?

I remember a shoot interview he had where he said that he HATED that gimmick so he just gradually stopped wearing all of the stupid shit he was supposed to wear for it. He was supposed to always be in face paint and cammo. He said one house show loop, he just stopped wearing the paint, nobody said anything to him about it, then another one, he just stopped wearing the shirt and wore a generic WWF shirt, etc. IIRC, he was hoping to just be able to show up wearing normal gear at some point but it never got that far. I guess he sort of did eventually get his wish as he got to be a Blackjack in early 97.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Peck said:

Michael Cole is 65% deaf.. probably from being so close to Rick.....  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwes-michael-cole-dealing-65-percent-hearing-loss-358496

Now I’m not sure if the weird high pitched noise during the Fiends matches was just that, or Michael Cole messing around with a hearing aid.

just remembered the one interesting thing (or the closest to an interesting thing) from the Goldust/Stalker Windham match from the 11/4/96 Raw: Windham using a figure four without the spinning toe hold.

Which makes me wonder which guys were the last holdouts in doing Figure Four Leglocks without doing a spinning toe hold to put the hold on. Dusty applied the Figure Four that way. I saw Steve Keirn doing it without the toe hold vs Terry Funk in 1990 USWA that was airing on the Pluto TV pro wrestling channel. Maybe Dustin also did the figure four like his dad and Barry Windham sometime in the 90s.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think the Osama death was announced on the same night as a WWE PPV (Capital Punishment? probably not that) and Cena made that announcement to the crowd after the show ended on PPV

No, I remember that. I was just wondering if Cena worded it that way himself or if someone suggested it.

New shirt idea:

Compromise to a Permanent End

Steen

Compromise to a Permanent End

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Damn, that's very sad. Trips has gotten a lot of flack in the past, mostly for that reign of terror in the early 00's but I'll be damned if that guy hasn't poured his heart and soul into this business. Hope everything is alright for him, especially with those kids at home.

Honestly, unless I see a clip or listen to a retrospective podcast from the early '00s him being booked as the most dominantly strong heel isn't what I think about when I see him anymore. Him being an executive has really won people over. Even recently, listening to alot of these recently released talents put him over and put into perspective how different he and Shawn as well vision is different from Vince. I hope he recovers well obviously. Knowing how much he loves the business, it would take something really serious to keep him away. Strangely enough, Road Dogg went through a few health scares recently and Return after a month or Two. Hunter is a guy that grew up and was shaped by Mainstream American wrestling so I loved knowing that his taste evolved as he moved more solidly into his executive role becoming a bigger proponent of Indy talent and International talent. 

• Like 2