DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Shoots and Ladders - 10/25/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah him being allergic to that extra step up the ladder was pretty ridiculous. 

Posted this in the General thread (and on the Discord) but why was Big E standing with his back full to the TV and looking over his shoulder? Was this him making fun of the trope of "wrestler has to face television screen while watching"? Was he told to do it? Sadly it could be either. 

That New Day Fugees robe though! Even better than the Rey Rey Wu Tang shirt. 

Enjoyed Priest trying to destroy T-bar.

The Lee/Cedric squash was decent.

The Becky/Bianca segment was solid.

Kind of hate that the main event was a random ladder match, but it was fun.

I like that Seth and Becky seemed matched their outfits a bit this time. I only wish they were more obnoxious like some of their other outfits.

My guess is that E was probably making fun of everyone having to side eye the monitors. 

Is WWEs idea of fresh match ups to just move them from one brand to another?  Smackdown rehashed nakamura and Corbin.  Raw rehashed the street profits feuds with the dirty Dawgs and alpha academy.  For the season premiere, you know all of those shows that are getting us record low ratings?  More of that.

I'm not sure about the "improvements" they've decided to saddle priest and Lee with.

As "season premieres" go, this was fairly skippable.  I ff'ed through large chunks of it this morning and finished the show in less than an hour.  Most of that was the main event.

WWE wrestlers still not being able to comprehend how steps on ladders and hooks work is annoying.  I kinda hate the visual of one guy atop the ladder fooling with the briefcase and not being able to unlatch it, or waving his arms in the air as he tries to reach it but can't,  Makes the wrestler look like a bit of a dolt and this trope happens in every ladder match.  Maybe WWE should teach a class at the PC in ladder climbing and unhooking things.

Still main event was good though I don't enjoy the cringeworthy spots much.  No idea why guys agree to take some of those bumps.

Opening six man was ok, though I kinda chuckled at WWE kicking off the new season with.... three tag teams who have feuded recently on Smackdown.  And, honestly, picking the winner out of those three was kinda easy.  Dirty Dawgs job more often than not and Alpha Academy jobs except when they need to try to make them look like a real threat for a short tv feud.

For that matter, the outcome of the ladder match was fairly easy to predict.  Babyface champion, three babyfaces in the contender's match.  Wasn't too hard to guess that the only heel in the ladder match was going to win.

FF'ed through the rest of the show except Vega's promo.  Wanted to see if the crowd was really as quiet as Meltzer's recapper claimed.  Yep.  They certainly were.  Can't blame them.  I probably wouldn't even notice if Zelina disappeared from tv, and the Queen gimmick is only going to work if they keep her away from actual stars in the division (Bianca, Becky).

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Carmella's paper-thin mask is supposed to protect her face from a bumps.  Doesn't look sufficient to prevent anything more than a fingernail scratch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

WWE wrestlers still not being able to comprehend how steps on ladders and hooks work is annoying.  I kinda hate the visual of one guy atop the ladder fooling with the briefcase and not being able to unlatch it, or waving his arms in the air as he tries to reach it but can't,  Makes the wrestler look like a bit of a dolt and this trope happens in every ladder match.  Maybe WWE should teach a class at the PC in ladder climbing and unhooking things.

They do teach that. They teach them to fool with the briefcase and act like they aren't able to unlatch it, and to wave their arms in the air as they try to reach it but can't.