DVDVR Message Board

RUST and the Horrible Tragedy Around It

John from Cincinnati

On 10/29/2021 at 12:43 PM, Tabe said:

Gutierrez-Reed has released a statement.  She says she was in total control of the guns at all times - but has no idea how live ammo showed up on the set or got in her guns.  It's all the producers' fault though.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rust-armorer-hannah-gutierrez-reed-breaks-silence-153507790.html

I mean it's not the fault of one person that members of the crew were using the real guns with live ammo for fun the night before.  It might have been Gutierrez's responsibility to clear the guns that day, but everyone involved with allowing the crew to do target practice (AKA goof off with fucking GUNS) the day before needs to be charged as well.  That shit is beyond the pale and blaming one person and leaking negative stories is some scapegoating bullshit.  Fish rots from the head.  If Gutierrez had that many red flags, who hired her and why?  Look, I'm a manager at my company.  If I hire an absolutely unqualified person with a history of fucking up, and that guy turns around and royally fucks something up here, I can't just wash my hands of it like, "aw man, that guy sucked!  Glad we fired him amirite guys?"

• Like 3

As responsible as she may be, hanging all of this around Gutierrez's neck does not really solve the systemic problem of television and movie sets being extremely dangerous places to work or that the people behind the scenes are overworked to an unhealthy degree with little in the way of compensation.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I mean it's not the fault of one person that members of the crew were using the real guns with live ammo for fun the night before.  It might have been Gutierrez's responsibility to clear the guns that day, but everyone involved with allowing the crew to do target practice (AKA goof off with fucking GUNS) the day before needs to be charged as well.  That shit is beyond the pale and blaming one person and leaking negative stories is some scapegoating bullshit.  Fish rots from the head.  If Gutierrez had that many red flags, who hired her and why?  Look, I'm a manager at my company.  If I hire an absolutely unqualified person with a history of fucking up, and that guy turns around and royally fucks something up here, I can't just wash my hands of it like, "aw man, that guy sucked!  Glad we fired him amirite guys?"

You are absolutely right about the people who hired her and kept her around being at fault.  And the idiots who were using them for target practice.  BUT...if she was in charge of the guns, and people could take them out for target practice, and live ammo could get into guns that were on set, and people weren't actually checking guns before using them...then she wasn't really in charge of the guns.  She's getting scapegoated because she deserves it.  She's just not the only one who deserves it.  For example, the assistant director who announced "cold gun" without actually checking it.  Or Alec Baldwin, who took possession of the gun and used it, without actually checking it.  Both of those guys violated the accepted standards and practices for handling guns on sets.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 4

The Rock said in an interview with Variety that he pledged to no use real firearms again on the sets of any of his future films

The actor and producer went on to say that going forward, he will only be using rubber guns on his sets and will make sure to enforce that rule with any studio he works with in the future. “I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you, without an absence of clarity here, that any movie that we have moving forward with Seven Bucks Productions — any movie, any television show, or anything we do or produce — we won’t use real guns at all,” Johnson said.

“We’re going to switch over to rubber guns, and we’re going to take care of it in post,” he said. “We’re not going to worry about the dollars; we won’t worry about what it costs.”

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has sued Alec Baldwin, all the producers, and basically everyone involved in the shooting.  

Among the allegations was that Baldwin refused to train on the gun that killed Hutchins. 

• 7 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 11:24 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has sued Alec Baldwin, all the producers, and basically everyone involved in the shooting.  

Among the allegations was that Baldwin refused to train on the gun that killed Hutchins. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Before I forget, Alec Baldwin's charges were downgraded late last month.  He is now charged with one count of involuntary manslaughter, but without any enhancements.

He could face up to 18 months in prison if he is convicted on the 4th degree felony. 

• 5 weeks later...