DVDVR Message Board

THE 2021 WORLD SERIES - ATLANTA vs. HOUSTON

Dolfan in NYC

I'm rooting for Atlanta because I grew up watching Braves baseball on TBS, but Houston winning would be a good story on several levels.  Dusty finally winning the big one (as a manager), Houston proving it can win without trash cans, etc.

Plus, a Houston win will annoy a lot of the haters, and that's probably not a bad thing.

• Like 2

Here are your wonderful umpires MLB has decided on for the most important series of the year:

Spoiler

Chris Conroy: 18th best in accuracy, 23rd in consistency (out of 95 umps, I didn't count the 4 guys who umped 2 or less games). In 3 Astros games he's umped this year he's +0.14. He will be the game 1 ump.

Tom "20/20" Hallion: 78th in accuracy, 83rd in consistency. An absolute fucking joke that he's umping in the World Series. -1.23 for the Astros this year in the one game he ruined against the White Sox.

Ted Barrett: Literally worse than Tom Hallion. 75th in accuracy, 87th in consistency (only 6 umpires worse than him in this regard in baseball. Another blind geriatric who has no business sniffing the playoffs much less the World Series. Roughly +0.50 for the Astros in 3 games he's umped for us this year.

Ron Kulpa: 2nd least accurate ump in baseball! Beginning to see a fucking pattern here. 92nd in accuracy, 73rd in consistency. +0.20 in 3 games umping the Astros this year.

Alfonso Marquez: 51st in accuracy, 21st in consistency (practically an all-star for this crew!). Roughly +0.40 for the Astros in 3 games this year.

Dan Bellino: 25th in accuracy, 40th in consistency. -0.50 in one game for the Astros this year.

Mike Muchlinski: 41st in accuracy, 32nd in consistency. +0.88 for the Astros in 2 games this year.

Holy hell. What an absolute joke of an umpiring crew. The best guy is Conroy and he's barely in the top 20 of umps. Then you have 3 guys who are the definition of middle of the pack (Marquez, Bellino, and Muchlinski), and then 3 of the worst 10-15 umps in baseball who got there purely by seniority. Absolutely ridiculous. Fuck the umpire's association for sending these unqualified clowns to the World Series when guys like Libka, Hoberg, Tripp Gibson, etc will be watching from home.

Jesus fucking Christ. 

Let's not forget this wonderful moment from Ron "I can do anything I want" Kulpa. 

• Haha 2

I haven’t watched any Braves all year. They seem good. And lucky. Weird. Seems like they beat out a large amount of infield hits. And on the Yuli slide into second where he just stopped. 

Wild. 

Of course, it’s hard to say that they’re lucky when Charlie Fucking Morton breaks his leg striking out Altuve. 

• Like 1

if you're the Braves, you probably got what you wanted by getting one W out of the first two games (although having a pitcher break his leg in the process of the W is not ideal)... and if you're the Astros, all you need is one W in Atlanta to take it back to Houston. If they get 2 wins, like in the ALCS, then they're in an even better spot for games 6/7.

Not sure what an Atlanta victory would be a bigger win for between "teams insisting they're in it despite being meh on August 1st" and "teams that acquired a bunch of random dudes at the deadline who come together to make a run"

The Nationals are probably a better "team that won the World Series despite being bad early" team but the Braves have some 1991 vibes to how they surged (if you ignore that they were a lot better in 2020 than 1990)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:38 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Astros undefeated in the World Series if they give up a grand slam.

Back to Houston.

was Greinke’s pinch hit the very last hit by a pitcher ever?

No.  The American League added the DH in 1973 and has still had pitchers hit in AL-only games since then.  And get hits.  

For those wondering how, if you have the DH go into the field and play defense, you lose the DH, so pitchers have to hit*.

Is the above scenario at all likely in this era of guys throwing 7 pitches and getting replaced?  No.  But it could happen.

* - For example, Willie Hernandez, the Detroit Tigers closer, went 0 for 1 in 1985.

Max Fried cruises through 6 innings and leaves with a huge lead.

stage perfectly set for Dusty to have the inverse of his 2002 experience and be on the winning side of a stunning Game 6 comeback.  Just saying.

Fucking awesome. And all without Acuna. Soler as MVP is the best and funniest shit. 

Also...Trevor Plouffe, prophet

it's been funny hearing them talk about this on the Jomboy Talking Baseball podcast. 

• Like 2

One of the happiest sports moments of my life last night. I started getting into sports at a very young age with slowly picking up football, baseball, and basketball.

1995 was an important year for me in that regard. I started to watch and follow Auburn Football, started rooting for the Braves early in the shortened 95 season, started watching basketball and discovered Michael Jordan post-retirement, and 95 was when I started watching pro wrestling and WWF primarily initially. This was all at the very young age of 8!

(I'd started loosely rooting for the Dolphins maybe the year prior).

Also, a nice fun bit of trivia: the last 3 times the Braves have won the World Series (including last night)., Auburn's starting QB had the last name Nix. 

• Like 4

I'm a Tigers guy through and through but Atlanta is definitely my second team.  We got cable in 1982 and the Braves were on every single night (147 of their 162 games that year!)  We naturally became fans as a result.  Then I married into a Braves family as well - my brother-in-law played in their farm system.  So I am definitely very happy that they won.  Beating Houston makes it even better.  

• Like 1