DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I'm surprised(but shouldn't be) that there are people upset that James Harden can't foul bait anymore. I heard people saying that Trae Young or Luka would be "exposed" by the rule changes, and never even thought about the guy who made a living on exploiting fouls for almost a decade. I just hope the league and refs don't reverse course, because the games have been refreshing to watch with fewer BS whistles.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm surprised(but shouldn't be) that there are people upset that James Harden can't foul bait anymore. I heard people saying that Trae Young or Luka would be "exposed" by the rule changes, and never even thought about the guy who made a living on exploiting fouls for almost a decade. I just hope the league and refs don't reverse course, because the games have been refreshing to watch with fewer BS whistles.

That rule change(?) is great.  Watching Harden and others jumping into guys has been painful to watch.  It definitely improves the game with that stuff being eliminated.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Harden is averaging 8 points fewer than last year.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

That rule change(?) is great.  Watching Harden and others jumping into guys has been painful to watch.  It definitely improves the game with that stuff being eliminated.  I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Harden is averaging 8 points fewer than last year.

He's also only averaging like 3 FT attempts per game now. Sorry, not sorry.

• Like 5

Yeah that felt good last night. Would've been sweet to complete the comeback but I'm just happy we didn't fold. It looked like we were going to in those last three minutes and then they gutted it out. Not crazy about how that final play went.

So happy to be excited about Chicago Basketball again. The last few years... they tested me.

• Like 1

The most fun team in the league to watch is hands-down Memphis. Ja is the most exciting player in the NBA right now. He's surpassed Dame as my favorite player in the league, which is a HARD task to do. 

He's had a lot of comps - young Derrick Rose, AI, etc. I see all of those obviously because of his size and athleticism. But I see a lot of Manu in his game, too. Most of that is just from his artistry. Manu gave us so many things that we had never seen before -- a fearlessness that gave us the EuroStep, the hammer pass, etc. Ja has in his 2 years and 2 weeks in the NBA so many of those "Wait, what just happened?" spin moves that make so sense, no look jump passes, trying to win a game on a T-Mac, etc. And he also does all of this while also knowing when to play in control, too. What a fantastic player and a joy to watch. 

They're also the best combination of young dudes finding themselves in a really long time. Desmond Bane (the best named dude in the league) and DeAnthony Melton are REALLY good. Dillon Brooks hasn't even played yet, and he's a great shit-stirrer and wildcard. Brandon Clarke is also really sneaky good, along with their neverending string of bench dudes like Xavier TIllman. Hopefully JJJ returns to where he was pre-injury. If he levels up, this team has Western Conference Finals written all over them a lot sooner than anyone else thinks. But since they're still young bucks, with only one vet in Steven Adams (who is only 28), no lead is ever safe going either way. 

I'm also a somehow have become a big Grizzlies fan. I loved the Grit'n'Grind teams -- I've compared them to the NBA's version of beloved NWA/WCW tag team DOOM.

I also think that the Grizzlies quick rebound is a referendum on The Process and those teams. Memphis didn't tear it down to scraps. They combined rebuilding with trying to win, and now they're a playoff team.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, RandomAct said:

He's also only averaging like 3 FT attempts per game now. Sorry, not sorry.

Harden is being unfairly targeted!  I feel personally attacked!

Oh wait. Never mind. 

Jalen Green has only shot like 3 free throws all year!!! I feel personally attacked!!!!

The Philadelphia 76ers are increasingly frustrated with Ben Simmons' refusal to accept organizational assistance to address his mental readiness to play, sources told ESPN.

While Simmons has been working with team doctors to treat a back ailment, he has been unwilling to meet with team doctors to discuss his mental readiness, sources said.

Instead, sources said, Simmons has worked with mental health professionals via the National Basketball Players Association since the summer. So far Simmons has yet to provide details of those meetings to the team, sources said.

On a regular basis at the team's Camden, New Jersey practice facility, Simmons has engaged with teammates and members of the coaching staff in one-on-one scenarios but has not advanced to rejoin full team activities and it's unclear when or if he will.

The Sixers remain eager to help Simmons address his mental readiness so he can return to the team. There's uncertainty whether he's progressing with that same objective, sources said.

Sources close to Simmons told ESPN they expect to provide the team with updates on his progress once he is comfortable doing so.

The Sixers fined Simmons nearly $2 million for missing games, practices and meetings earlier this season. But sources said the team stopped fining him once he told them on October 22, that he wasn't mentally ready to play.

There is a provision in the collective bargaining agreement that protects players' salaries for failing to render services "if such failure has been caused by the player's mental disability."

It's really looking like Simmons is using "not mentally ready" as a loophole to not play fot the 76ers and get paid.  Pretty abhorrent if you ask me.  I guess we'll know for sure when he actually gets traded and suits up for his new team within the week like nothing was ever wrong.

Yes, I'm biased as hell against Simmons, but this is as subtle as a brick to the face.

• Like 1

I wouldn't feel like playing for that team or those fans either. Good for him.

I am concerned about Dame. Please get that Simmons trade done before he wants out and you're rebuilding for the next 3-5 years. 

Yeah, I don't think Simmons has played this well but there is no universe where I'm letting my employer be in charge of my mental health treatment so I'm with him on this one.

Frank Vogel is apparently on the hot seat in LA after the Lakers' poor start.  I don't think he's the problem, but Rob Pelinka ain't gonna fire himself so here we are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It's really looking like Simmons is using "not mentally ready" as a loophole to not play fot the 76ers and get paid.  Pretty abhorrent if you ask me.  I guess we'll know for sure when he actually gets traded and suits up for his new team within the week like nothing was ever wrong.

Yes, I'm biased as hell against Simmons, but this is as subtle as a brick to the face.

LOl, I wanted to write this post about five times, but didn't want to be canceled.  Hopefully, I'm wrong but I feel like the agent of the guy who allegedly lied about being exposed to Covid to get out of a preseason game may have found a way to keep his client off the court while still getting paid and gain public sympathy.

I don't have a problem with Simmons declining the 76'ers offer to put in him touch with a therapist to see one of his choosing - therapy is kinda useless unless you're comfortable with the  therapist and the process - but I feel like he owes the team some sort of update so they know what's going on and have at least a ballpark expectation when he might be back.  Keeping your employer in the loop isn't the same as putting the employer in charge of the process, at least to me.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

LOl, I wanted to write this post about five times, but didn't want to be canceled.  Hopefully, I'm wrong but I feel like the agent of the guy who allegedly lied about being exposed to Covid to get out of a preseason game may have found a way to keep his client off the court while still getting paid and gain public sympathy.

I don't have a problem with Simmons declining the 76'ers offer to put in him touch with a therapist to see one of his choosing - therapy is kinda useless unless you're comfortable with the  therapist and the process - but I feel like he owes the team some sort of update so they know what's going on and have at least a ballpark expectation when he might be back.  Keeping your employer in the loop isn't the same as putting the employer in charge of the process, at least to me.  

I completely agree with this.  He should be able to find and choose his own therapist, not the 76ers, but he absolutely should be keeping the 76ers in the loop and the fact that he isn't, is just suspect as hell.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I wouldn't feel like playing for that team or those fans either. Good for him.

I am concerned about Dame. Please get that Simmons trade done before he wants out and you're rebuilding for the next 3-5 years. 

Speaking from your experience of actually being in Philly and being a fan in Philly?  Or just from hearsay and national media narrative?

• Haha 1