DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAF: Week Eight

Robert C

On 10/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, supremebve said:

It's ridiculous,  but also makes so much sense. He got to the top of college football against all odds and lost the one stable person in his life at the same damn time.  He has to try to navigate being newly single at the exact same time where the most women are interested in him. It's not surprising that Ed Orgeron of all people would have a very hard time dealing with that. He went from laughingstock to champion in the only place in the country where you can act like Ed Orgeron and no one will look at you sideways. We can moralize this, but he was doing what a lot of us would do in that exact situation. Most people would have no clue how to deal with being that rich,  that popular,  and that desirable at a time where you also have no excuse not to indulge. He just couldn't help himself. 

Especially when, to look at the dude, there ain't shit about him that's desirable if he were checking receipts at Wal-Mart.

25 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Especially when, to look at the dude, there ain't shit about him that's desirable if he were checking receipts at Wal-Mart.

You say that, but his ex-wife looked like someone who could have found someone better than Ed Orgeron. They met when he was coaching the defensive line for Syracuse.  There's something about that big,  funny talking man that is getting the job done. I don't know how far that goes outside of Louisiana,  Arkansas, and parts of Texas,  but he's been able to parlay that niche appeal to its maximum as far as I can tell. 

Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB have all officially accepted their invitations to the AAC

The earliest they can join is the 2023-2024 season

• Like 1

Related:

Thank God. At least 6 years overdue. I’ve been saying they should abandon ship on the C-USA since the first batch of schools left for the AAC years ago. Just plainly obvious that C-USA was sinking and the SBC was on the way up.

Marshall is also heavily rumored to the SBC.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - Nick Rolovich is suing Washington State for wrongful termination

The twist is - the crux of of his argument is he was a victim of "discriminatory and vindictive behavior" from the AD. He is claiming that the AD decided to fire him in April which was 4 months before the state put in place the vaccine requirement for all state employees.

Also his lawyer admitted that Rolovich's religious exemption claim was that because Rolovich was a "devout Catholic" he couldn't get the vaccine.

That sure as fuck is news to this devout Catholic.

This is funny because.... the AD did not fire hm.  Maybe the AD wanted to, but if that was a litigable offense, I'd be sued regularly. 

My 80-year-old mom is a devout Roman Catholic.  She did research, emailed the bishop, and talked to several priests and Catholic scholars before she felt confident the church was fine with being vaccinated.  She probably didn't need that many opinions, but her sister is an even more devout Catholic who has come with a couple bs religious reasons not to get vaccinated, so......  No one told my mom the church would have an issue or even suggested it.  Mom's one of those unreasonable mass-seven-days-a-week Catholics, so if it passes her tests, it should pass anyone's.

I'm actually kinda worried about my Mom's reaction (think: Fred Sanford heart attack skit) if she ever finds out the wife and I stopped going to church or practicing our religion.  It's not a secret, but everyone it taking great pains not to tell my parents.

• Like 1

Oklahoma State has effectively signed Mike Gundy to a lifetime contract for...reasons?

An incredible pledge of fealty to a guy who hasn’t won a title of any kind in 10 years and has only beaten his school’s chief rival 2 times in a decade and a half.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - Nick Rolovich is suing Washington State for wrongful termination

The twist is - the crux of of his argument is he was a victim of "discriminatory and vindictive behavior" from the AD. He is claiming that the AD decided to fire him in April which was 4 months before the state put in place the vaccine requirement for all state employees.

Also his lawyer admitted that Rolovich's religious exemption claim was that because Rolovich was a "devout Catholic" he couldn't get the vaccine.

That sure as fuck is news to this devout Catholic.

The AD that he's accusing of discrimination towards his Catholic beliefs is, wait for it, also a practicing Catholic.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Oklahoma State has effectively signed Mike Gundy to a lifetime contract for...reasons?

An incredible pledge of fealty to a guy who hasn’t won a title of any kind in 10 years and has only beaten his school’s chief rival 2 times in a decade and a half.

Apparently they are just happy to be there

"Coach Gundy has elevated the Cowboys to among the most consistent winners in college football during his 17-year tenure at Oklahoma State University," athletic director Chad Weiberg said in the release. "OSU is one of only seven teams to post a winning season every year over the past decade, and entered 2021 as one of only three Power Five teams with a winning season and bowl appearance in each of the past 15 years. ... While we have experienced great success the past 17 seasons, I look forward to the future and believe the best is yet to come for Cowboy Football under coach Gundy's leadership."

Oh and for the record - this is just restoring his original 5 year perpetual contract after the school - doing damage control - had lowered it to 4 years. A punishment which lasted less than a year

Oklahoma State and Mike Gundy have agreed to a new deal that will restore the football coach to a "perpetual five-year contract" with the Cowboys after the rollover had been decreased to four years in 2020, the university announced Friday.

Last year, Gundy voluntarily took a $1 million pay cut and amended his contract from a five-year rollover to four years following a review of the football program prompted by criticism of Gundy after Cowboys running back Chuba Hubbard blasted him for wearing a T-shirt from OAN (One America News) in a photo that appeared on social media. It also reduced his buyout from $5 million to $4 million and dropped his guarantee from 75% to 50%. Gundy apologized for the "pain and discomfort" he caused his players and others, and he vowed positive changes in his football program.

This contract restores the rollover to five years. Financial terms were not released. The school said those would be forthcoming at a later date.

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As folks pointed out on reddit - the AAC now has all the FBS schools that are Owls

So you're saying they're the All Owlmerican Conference?   

Wait, come back to me, I can do better. 

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So you're saying they're the All Owlmerican Conference?   

Wait, come back to me, I can do better. 

Owl American Conference was right there. Right. There.

ESPN now saying Southern Miss to the Sun Belt is a done deal as soon as 2023.

• Like 2

Sun Belt is also talking to Marshall and ODU which I think we already mentioned

They also want James Madison to jump from the CAA (with the football team moving up to FBS)

JMU is definitely happening. They were choosing between CUSA and SBC, and all the defections make it an easy choice.

CUSA is now 5 teams (UTEP, WKU, MTSU, FIU, and La Tech) and functionally dead. There are some other FCS teams that have interest in moving up to FBS (Sam Houston State, for one), but I’m not sure CUSA has the leadership to pull enough of them up together to survive. Lots of soul searching and hard choices in store for those 5 schools.

Kansas is up 3 in the 4th quarter to Oklahoma.  Although it looks like the Sooners are about to explode.    But to tell you how bad things are for the Kansas team, they opened the gates at the 2nd quarter for anyone to just show up for free.    And the crowd is still at about 50% full

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Kansas is up 3 in the 4th quarter to Oklahoma.  Although it looks like the Sooners are about to explode.    But to tell you how bad things are for the Kansas team, they opened the gates at the 2nd quarter for anyone to just show up for free.    And the crowd is still at about 50% full

Well, that was fun while it lasted but OU remembered that they're OU.