DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/16/2021

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

What if they talked about getting in each other's butts?

This reminds me of one time back in the day when I was working retail.  I was laughing and joking with a coworker near the returns desk and a customer walks up and instead of calling him an asshole, I called him a butthole.  He looked at me and said, "Hey, don't call me a butthole.  Call me an asshole.  You call me an asshole, you're calling me a jerk, and I can deal with that.  You call me a butthole, and I get a picture in my mind."  The lady, who I was trying not to offend looked over and said, "Yeah, he has a point."

• Haha 4

That reminds me of Tony Bourdain's remarks in his book Kitchen Confidential that the one thing you don't call someone in a kitchen is an asshole. You can call staff and customers quite literally anything else, but "asshole" is the one term that in that culture means what it says. I've always agreed. "Butthole" to me sounds quaint and immature, "asshole" is a verbal shove. 

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That reminds me of Tony Bourdain's remarks in his book Kitchen Confidential that the one thing you don't call someone in a kitchen is an asshole. You can call staff and customers quite literally anything else, but "asshole" is the one term that in that culture means what it says. I've always agreed. "Butthole" to me sounds quaint and immature, "asshole" is a verbal shove. 

All I can remember from that book, and this is really good advice:

• Never go to a Sunday brunch.  This is where restaurants liquor you up and feed you all the stuff they couldn't sell during the week.
  • Never order a fish dish that is heavily-sauced.  Fish has a delicate flavor that stands on its own.  Heavy sauces are typically used as coverup when fish is old.
  • Make sure your kitchen mise en scene is fucking TIGHT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

• Never go to a Sunday brunch.  This is where restaurants liquor you up and feed you all the stuff they couldn't sell during the week.
  • Never order a fish dish that is heavily-sauced.  Fish has a delicate flavor that stands on its own.  Heavy sauces are typically used as coverup when fish is old.

I feel like brunch is one of those meals that the quality of the meal is nowhere near the reason you're there.  Saturday is also a much better day for brunch. Brunch is something that starts at 11: 30 or so, which is earlier than anyone usually starts drinking heavily,  but late enough that you're probably going to be at least buzzed for the rest of the day. On a Saturday,  you can spend all day in a half drunk haze,  because you have another day off to actually get something done. On Sunday, you sober up just early enough to get depressed that is almost Monday. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I dated my best friend's cousin in high school. Both are Chinese-American, and her father owned a restaurant in Chinatown (although the big money came from the illegal mah jongg parlor in the basement). They told me to never order fried rice because it's yesterday's rice and stuff that couldn't sell..

• Like 1

Fuck all that, fried rice is delicious. 

I worked at an upscale restaurant once upon a time and brunch was always a horror. To start we had to lug an entire enclosure of tables down a flight of stairs to the basement, then bring up an assortment of other tables to place hot trays and Sterno on. Then you bang out six hours of trucking hot dishes back and forth to the kitchen and are "treated" to the leftovers of the leftovers as a free meal. You think it was bad before, it's really bad then. 

On the plus side, I always got free reign over the kitchen CD player! That sure didn't make the rest of the staff's hangovers any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Fuck all that, fried rice is delicious. 

Yeah, if something is only a day old and they just fry the shit out of it to make something new, I think we're ahead of the game, all things considered ?

I mean I was a prep cook in college and the majority of our menu, in a decent restaurant down by the ballpark in Baltimore, was from the walk-in and at LEAST a day old.  EVEN THE CRABCAKES HON

Anybody here tells me anything bad about Popeye's, you're getting consequences.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

As a proud Baltimore-living everything-eating beer-soaked garbage disposal I totally know what I'm signing up for when I order fried rice. God forbid I order freshly made Yat Gaw Mein, the noodles haven't had the time to absorb all the flavors. They gotta swim around each other for a day or two, much more harmonious that way.

Sunday Brunch is viable if you go to your city's most drinkin'est neighborhood and get there right when it starts. If you think the bartender has slept for more than one consecutive hour you've lost the magic. I'm not Irish in the least but Irish pubs are the best for this. Also an Australian bar in NYC where the entire staff were living in a vastly different time zone, God bless 'em.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Story that probably is only interesting to me:

In about 2015 we got a Popeyes here. And it didn't last, went out of business by 2017 or 2018.

Then that chicken sandwich insanity happened, and in late 2019 we got a Popeyes in the exact same building that had sat empty for a year or two. So far it's still there. Shrug

• Like 1